The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default anybody else being attacked by Ladybugs?

I'm currently cleaning out my French drain and I swear I have 50 ladybugs helping me lol. We have at least 200 in the house driving the house cats nuts but hey, at least their lazy butts are getting exercise lol and it could be worse, it could be stinky bugs or spiders, right?
    But seriously, where did all of these ladybugs come from? Do they migrate like butterflies?

1 members found this post helpful.

Ladybugs are wonderful bugs. They are probably looking for a warm, secure place t o spend the winter.

And they are supposed to be good luck. Don't kill them!

I have a friend in Chattanooga, TN and one in Nashville, TN and both said they were under siege. I am in Memphis, TN and haven't seen one.

No I'm quite happy they are here. I keep moving them out of the way so i don't hurt them. As I type, I have 5 on me

We had them last year or a few years ago. But they were the biting kind, not fun. They even swamped downtown Toronto.

Asian Lady Beatles- they stink, they bite and I think I'm allergic to them, they make me all stuffy. Hate the little things!
    Kerri

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by WildandWickedWarmbloods View Post
    Ladybugs are wonderful bugs. They are probably looking for a warm, secure place t o spend the winter.

And they are supposed to be good luck. Don't kill them!
    Speak for yourself. They do infact bite and stink, and absolutely infest everywhere, including but not limited to, my feed, my house, my bedroom, etc!

If they are good luck, I am set for several lifetimes with my infestation. And I can also afford to sacrifice some of them. I show them the same amount of mercy as the stink bugs; none.

They swarm this time of year. Sometimes our property ends up with a swarm, sometimes not. But when you do get them, you usually get them in spades, LOL! And they love getting into the house.

Stink bugs do something similar I think, maybe a few weeks earlier than the lady bugs do.

And after the first few cold nights...the wasps, hornets and bees all become more active and visible during the day if it warms up.

And beware that ticks also become a LOT more active after the first frost. They want to feed often and heavily before a hard freeze comes in and renders them dormant or kills them. Blech, ticks.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

It's BAD here in mid TN. Worst I've seen them. Yeah, the weather has made them want to find a warm spot to hibernate. The cold/hot/cold is getting them going. I cleaned out my garage yesterday and today the floor is FULL of them again (really, hundreds). I will have to take a picture and post it. It's unbelievable this year.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Asian lady beetles. I had one on me at work, they are in my car, our house has the (not so) perfect exposure and the other day they looked like orange snow flying at the side of the house. Argh. Hate 'em. Spent an hour vacuuming them off the laundry room ceiling and half as many are back. And MB, I just did NOT need to know that about the ticks, although I could have guessed, we spend hours every day feeling around our cat's necks for the blood sucking creatures and they are out in force.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I know...ticks squick me out too.
    Better to be forewarned though.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Yep the asian beetles are out in force in Ohio! I suck them up with the vaccume and an hour later there are more . can't. stand.them.

They are swarming in central Kentucky too. I vacuumed up several hundred yesterday. As soon as one batch was gone, another one appeared.

Yep once a year they migrate to the fireplace in my bedroom ..it's so strange.

Here are a few pictures of my bug invasion. One is the garage (look at the channel of the garage door opener, they are stacked upon each other. The other is my front porch. We have your house sprayed once a year in the spring, so I guess it is still killing the bugs 6 months later. Darn crunchy little buggers.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vgsfcd4nhr...154821_304.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2nruw5rewu...154655_233.jpg
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Chachie View Post
    I'm currently cleaning out my French drain and I swear I have 50 ladybugs helping me lol. We have at least 200 in the house driving the house cats nuts but hey, at least their lazy butts are getting exercise lol and it could be worse, it could be stinky bugs or spiders, right?
    But seriously, where did all of these ladybugs come from? Do they migrate like butterflies?
    These are NOT lady bugs. They are painted asian lady beatles and they were imported to eat aphids off the soybeans. When the soybean harvest is in full swing the bugs are stired up and gather in clouds to seek winter shelter. And they do stink!. Just crush one! They will make your vacume cleaner stink after you vacume them up so be sure to dump the cleaner after each use. They will be in your drapes, light sockets, corners of the rooms, corners of the cabintes, ect. And, they taste as bad as they smell which is why they have no natural enemies in the US.

4 members found this post helpful.

Yep these stinky biting bugs are NOT ladybugs. Ladybugs are dark red and they don't bite or swarm in the fall. Look more closely at these bugs - they are probably a reddish orange and if you crush one, it smells awful.

Yes, Japanese Beetles are terrible this time of year. They were introduced to the Niagara Grape/Wine region of Ontario many years ago as a natural predator to one of the bugs that destroys the vines. They have certainly taken over. And the little buggers do bite!

Yup, they love my house, too. Hate this time of year, but got a good hand vacuum that I chase after them with now. They are not the pretty, nice, little helpful kind. They are invasive!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Ladybugs are red and (IIRC) have more spots than the Asian beetles which are orange.

Around here when they take down the soybean fields the Asian beetles make Life hellish for a while.
    Hate them.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009