The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I finally gave my horses some peeps for the first time yesterday. I work at Target, so as soon as they went 75% off I got a bunch of boxes.

Out of my 8 horses/ponies 2 of the horses loved them and both the ponies did. I was so surprised they all didnt eat them, but then agan, I dont like peeps either...

Ive definitley made monsters out of the ponies, they are so demanding!

I made a special request this year that the Easter Bunny bring me boxes of peeps...because after hearing all the stories on COTH, I just had to have enough for both myself, and the mare.

SHE WONT EAT THEM!! I tried to give her one, and she looked at me, and put her nose up in the air in that disgusted TB mare "you cannot be serious!!!" look on her face

The ponies loved them, but Bailey won't even try...it's really sad.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

Dressage geek R.H. I read your story and understand your pain. I too had a baby who adored peeps. While at the store today I saw peeps at 75% off, since I no longer have my peep monster, I did the only thing I knew what to do. I bought all the yellow I could for Ted. Please pm me with your address and I will get these to you right away.

I have enjoyed your stories, and don't want Ted to go through any withdrawls.

Quote Originally Posted by shojumper
    Dressage geek R.H. I read your story and understand your pain. I too had a baby who adored peeps. While at the store today I saw peeps at 75% off, since I no longer have my peep monster, I did the only thing I knew what to do. I bought all the yellow I could for Ted. Please pm me with your address and I will get these to you right away.

I loff you. And I promise to share with others who also need them before their horses/ponies get the peep DTs (do the vets know about this? May not yet be in the current literature..)
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

EquineTech - I did expain to Ted that we need to share when we have so much. He is a very fortunate pony. It is the way I am trying to bring him up. I think he feels that by tolerating my poor riding attempts (um, mom, how can we leg yield if you can't figure out which hind leg needs to move over?) that he deserves all the peep goodness I can give to him. But we need to do The Right Thing.

And since I am getting more boxes, we have to share. So I can send a box or two to Australia...

See what America contributes to the world? Who else has peeps?

I am thinking, is there some way we can get a show bad with a beautiful embroidered peep, very tasteful, on the edge? You know, where some people put their breed logos? We'd have a traditional yellow chick peep. Sure would make the judges sit up and take notice.

Hmmm....I really need to do this. I will check out details and report back.
    www.specialhorses.org

Geek, my hubby says to try Fluffanutter (marshmellow cream and peanut butter) and mix with uncooked oatmeal, and give to Ted. If he does not appreciate them, he says to sell the horse because "HE AIN"T RIGHT". He was intorduced to the horse eating peep phoenom(sp) last night, and laughed til he nearly croaked. However we are down to just a few peeps and he has been rubbing it in that we will not have anymore until ????when????Do they sell Peeps at Memorial day?

Of course, my QH has a new treat that he likes-Berries and Cream Dr. Pepper-picked the bottle up and tried to drink it. Course, he dropped it and tried again until we let him have some. He likes it, but Rebel is like Mikey of the Life cereal fame-he likes everything-except red apples and nectarines and chicken (thank goodness-that was not a deliberate treat giving moment-that was him stealing stuff off the picnic table in the pasture!!)
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

The JustBorn people e mailed me back. Very serious in tone. Gave me the name of some distributors:

Unfortunately, at this time we do not have the appropriate means to sell directly to consumers. We realize the demand for doing so and are looking into the possibilities for the future. As an alternative, you may wish to check with an on-line candy retailer, such as www.blaircandy.com, www.candydiscounters.com, www.drsoda.com, www.candywarehouse.com, www.candydirect.com, www.mckandy.com, www.groovycandies.com and www.eastcoastconfections.com.

Regards,

Allyson Greer
    Just Born, Inc.
    Consumer Relations Department

The fluffernutter idea is a good one. Wonder if this would also be useful for homemade likits...
    www.specialhorses.org

This year I started early and we've been doing 3-4 peeps a night (this is like free basing but we don't set them on fire).

Ted is a Peep-Ho!

Ribbons and Peeps oh my OH MY!!!! You two are quite the pair.
    =*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
    ~Jilltx~

Default Did anyone else see?????

The ruby red peeps at Target this year?
    Waaaaay cool.
    Shoulders back, hands down, leg ON!

http://mellvinshouse.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mellsmom
    The ruby red peeps at Target this year?
    Waaaaay cool.

I saw those yesterday at Target. They had all their Easter candies 80% off, including some shockingly red peeps. I was a little frightened by them...peeps just shouldn't be that color!
    I contemplated picking up a pack to try and introduce Peep Eating to the little pony I've been working with and at 80% off, I just might.

I am altering my sig line to reflect that my horse is a PeepHo.
    Last edited by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"; Apr. 25, 2006 at 11:54 AM.
    www.specialhorses.org

Default ahhhh hem...

Dare I mention that I have 8 boxes of peeps (five peepling per box I believe...perhaps six?) from LAST year (properly aged) hidden in my pantry? I hate them (well...sort of...have to admit properly aged it's a textural delight!!). Luna HATES them more (rubbed her lips accross the grass in disgust after attempting to eat one last year).

They are the usual colors of hot pink, purple and turquoise but I would be happy to send them to any horse that needs a "fix". It's so very awful to watch them go through peep-toxification with their frothy mouths and glazed expressions.

D HO you're onto something with the white ones. They look so positively innocent and clean! Didn't happen to catch the red ones at Tar-zhay.

Let me know if anyone wants them! They'll fossilize at my house.
    ~Jilltx~

*sniff* this warms my heart. Dressage Geek, please pass on a box or two to our poor Peepless Aussie friends because NO HORSE SHOULD BE PEEPLESS! (unless, he wants to be!)
    "And remember-if it gets really bad, there's always tequila..." J.P.

No horse should be Peepless

Default but...

*sniff* this warms my heart. Dressage Geek, please pass on a box or two to our poor Peepless Aussie friends because NO HORSE SHOULD BE PEEPLESS! (unless, he wants to be!)
    I thought Australia had a very strict quarantine program. You sure they would allow Peeps through the gates? With full knowlege of what might happen??

What if they got addicted?? We'd be forced to engage in a smuggling trade muling those peeps accross the Pacific. Pimping them to horses from Perth to Canberra.
    ~Jilltx~

What do you mean, "what if" they got addicted. Those who know the power of peeps laugh at you

Just to let you all know I was in Target 2 days ago and all the easter stuff was 90% off. I bought lots of peeps and will get them off to Ted the peep ho as soon as I can. It could be early next week before they leave here. Once they arrive it is up to Ted who he will share his stash with, but there should be plenty to go around.

Just to let you all know I was in Target 2 days ago and all the easter stuff was 90% off. I bought lots of peeps and will get them off to Ted the peep ho as soon as I can. It could be early next week before they leave here. Once they arrive it is up to Ted who he will share his stash with, but there should be plenty to go around.
    Shojumper, you are awesome. I will set up as Peep Central. Those needing a Peep Fix should PM me, even those in Australia. I think I can mail these as part of a scientific experiment...for example, in my part of town, there's really crummy pizza called Imo's. Thin cardboard crust, evil red sauce made from ...? and some sort of fake cheese. People born and brought up here love it. My theory is, that there is a narrow developmental window and if you are exposed to pizza at this time, you are imprinted to believe that it is good pizza. The question is, is it the same with peeps? After all, in Australia, their toilets flush the wrong way. How will this affect peep consumption?
    www.specialhorses.org

Unhappy We started Peep Rationing last night

we only have 5 boxes left. That's only 65 chix. He got one last night, it was just peep-a-licious. But I had to supplement with carrots, behind the sheath skritches, and a small offering of beet pulp/bran mash/alfalfa pellets/molasses. What we have to do in times of crisis.
    www.specialhorses.org

Quote Originally Posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
    After all, in Australia, their toilets flush the wrong way. How will this affect peep consumption?

Hey, check your local pharmacies for Easter peeps. I stepped into CVS the other day to pick up a bday card, and they had an Easter candy discount table with a bunch of peeps.

Alas, no CVSs here in St. Louis.

Do you think people will notice a sudden hoarding of all peeps off the discount tables? It may drive the price back up.
    www.specialhorses.org