The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    Did you all see that you can make your OWN peeps now... handy kit with a few step process... peeps year round!
    Say it ain't so! How can I justify turning over my lab to year round peep production? Meth, that's big here in MO, that they'd understand. But peeps?
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

I went around to all the shops the day after easter and bought as many as I could, but I am down to my last box. :P

Am contemplating theft of peeps from neighbor's small child who bragged that HE still has 12 boxes left. Ingrate. I drove him to the store on Easter so he could get there BEFORE they went on sale....

Caroline (and the haflingers, who think Peeps are okay but Starbursts are better)

I think a gremlin needs to sneak into the neighbor's child's house and remove the peeps. Then look innocent when they tell you they can't find any more peeps.
    www.specialhorses.org

Quote Originally Posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
    Say it ain't so! How can I justify turning over my lab to year round peep production? Meth, that's big here in MO, that they'd understand. But peeps?
    PEEP MAKER!

I am in serious trouble. Don't tell Ted about this.
    www.specialhorses.org

Ted has a neighbor across the river on the east side who would gladly send all Peeps his way. I tried offering Martini peeps and she looked at me in utter disgust and spat them upon the ground...then stepped on them. Ted would be appalled, I'm certain.

When I arrange to deliver the goodies to CANTER (still collecting - someone offered up lots of halters, I have to get them from her) maybe we can make the exchange!

No other horses at our barn like peeps. I simply don't understand it. And it's a broad mix - Andalusian, Connemara, QH, draft, and crosses thereof. But i strongly suspect none of thes ehorses had been appropriately introduced to the goodness that is peeps.
    www.specialhorses.org

Poor Ted! I hope he doesn't have to go through Peep withdrawal. I started the horses I ride on Peeps this spring, 3 of the 4 like them, one won't eat them (what a treat snob!!), but one of the three, the 24 year old Morgan, is quickly becoming addicted to Peeps. He LOFFS them. Of course, he also loves other sweets like Pepsi, etc.

If I see any more Peeps in the store, after I save some for Stormy and Cooper and Murphy, perhaps I will have to send Ted a care package of Peeps. I'll keep my eyes out. It pains me to think Ted would be hurting for lack of Peeps.

Talking

I'm pretty sure that's the funniest thing I've heard all year!!! Nothing can compare to sugar-coated sugar!! Yum!!!!

My horse has had similar reactions to peeps. I've only given them to him twice, for fear of him never eating another regular treat again. The first time I gave him peeps, I tried to give him gold fish afterwards. He sniffed them and then looked up at me with this 'you've got to be kidding me' expression. Normally, gold fish are considered to be a great snack by the pony (who is usually the least picky horse at the barn). I've got almost a whole box left here at home, and I'm debating whether or not I should bring them to him. What do y'all think?
    Proud owner of Race for the Stars (aka Spirit), OTTB!

"You can lead a horse to water, but if you can teach him to roll over and float on his back, then you got something."

Indy the Corgi thinks you should send the goldfish to him, care of me, as they are his favorite treat. :P (Although he will accept Peeps as a substitute, particularly if they have been partially melted first.)

Caroline

Default rotflmao

Thanks all I needed this laugh. I will keep my eyes open for the "Peeps for Ted" cause! lol

Well you cannot say I didn't warn you.

Peeps are only to be used after rides of Exceptional Quality

You may have to resort to Kraft StayPuff Marshmellows.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

Talking

I can imagine Ted when you run outta peeps- eyes bugged out staring, neck vein pulsing, the shakes, the jitters, the "Ohmygod-gotta-get-my peep-fix" mentality.

I suggest rehab, then maybe a halfway house.

Or you could threaten him with a kohlrabi/eggplant/sausage stick
    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
    Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

And it's a broad mix - Andalusian, Connemara, QH, draft, and crosses thereof. But i strongly suspect none of thes ehorses had been appropriately introduced to the goodness that is peeps.
    Well, I've done a very scientific survey of the Peeps Effect on My Horses. Atikus, Snortin' Norton and Mac all adore them. Buddy and Tulsa will push them very hard with their lips, then spit them out. They hate them.

Buddy and Tulsa are mainly QH with some TB; maybe it's a breed thing?!?!?!

Snort will roll his eyes in anticipation; Mac will engulf your hand and lower arm up to your elbow, and slime you in the process. Atikus smacks his lips so loudly that we call him Billy Bass.

Poor Ted! I'll look for some at Walmart before Sunday...
    Barbara www.customstockties.com
    Tulsa-QH; Schnickelfritz-Holsteiner; Atikus-Danish Warmblood; Buddy-QH/TB; Winston-Shire; Thomas-Percheron/TB; Mac-Belgian Draft, gone but never forgotten

This thread needs to be archived :P

Love it

I wish I had Peeps in Australia so I knew what you were all on about..

YOU HAVE NO PEEPS IN AUSTRALIA???

This is a crisis. Look, we may only have a few boxes in reserve, but in the interests of promoting world unity, I could spare a box. Ted counts pretty well (if I start counting transitions, 4 trot, 4 walk, he will continue without my help and I can just go along for the ride ) so I know he can count to 4. But we have six boxes left.

Now you have me worried about New Zealand as well.
    www.specialhorses.org

Sorry to shoot your breed theory Rt66

Jaybird, President of the Sugar Coated Sugar Fan Club, is pure QH

Ya just gotta pace yourself.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

Yes, and Ted's the quintessential TB.

No response yet from JustBorn regarding the issue. I may suggest the use of peeps as a way to feed supplements and medications. Many people would switch from Smart Pak, I'm sure.

And then...blankets and coolers decorated with peeps...halters with little peeps on the cheek pieces and nosebands...and a blinged browband with sparkling white and yellow teeny peeps dancing across....with a matching jeweled stock pin.
    www.specialhorses.org

I may have created a monster!

Not every year, but usually I'd buy some peeps and Ted and I would share. This year I started early and we've been doing 3-4 peeps a night (ET here. When I read this part I almost died laughing from the mental picture: this is like free basing but we don't set them on fire ET pictures Dressage Geek dutifully heating charred Peep in a large spoon while blissed-out Ted looks on eagerly).

Now that Easter is over, now that I can't buy any more, now that we only have 5 boxes of whit chix in reserve...Ted would not eat baby carrots, the very expensive juicy kind I rip off after the grad students have finished their lunch with the seminar speaker (yes, other people take soda, or sandwiches, I take leftover baby carrots for Ted). He has now shown a decided preference for peeps instead of bananas and carrots...and last night, he sniffed suspiciously at a molasses/oat treat and finally chewed it...but it wasn't what he wanted. When he sees me coming out of the tack room with a peep in my hand, he starts licking his lips and is completely focused on the peep.

What do I do when the last chick is gone? Will he need therapy?

I never knew peeps were this addictive. Maybe I can incorporate this into my drug abuse studies...but using an equine model system would be so prohibitively expensive!
    OH NO! He didn't find out about <whispers> "the package" you sent did he?

Personally, I think you should do the study. You can use HRH The Arabian Princess. Her drug of choice is Ferrara Pan's Atomic Fireballs (she is living proof that Farnam's Chew Stop tastes Yummy!) HRH Nijmeh Ali (The Arabian Princess Junior) loffs Altoids. Luka up until now (he hasn't gotten the mail yet) has been addicted to licorice strips. I wonder if he runs faster on licorice.....
    "And remember-if it gets really bad, there's always tequila..." J.P.

No horse should be Peepless