The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Favorite Barn Shoes

The time has come to say good bye to my old Paddock boots... and I was wondering. What shoes do the good people of the coth forum wear around the barn?

Do you prefer Wellies, Paddock Boots, Dansko clogs, or something else, and why?

Can't wait to hear what you wear to the barn!

LLBean Duck Boots, Merrills and Muck Boots are my favorites. Muck Boots are incredibly comfortable. I love my Dansko clogs, but I've rolled an ankle too many times to risk more clog injury by wearing them around the barn.

Muck boots or hiking shoes.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

Really supportive running shoes with crazy high arches. Nothing else feels as good.
    I dislike Dansko for the barn - the sole shape means it's too easy to twist an ankle on uneven ground. As in scary easy! Threw those away after ACL surgery.
    Ariats have too much of a heel - I like something flatter in the heel and more supportive for long hours. Justins are better, I find.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

I got some $40 (on sale) water proof hiking shoes, ankle high. Off brand, nothing I recognized...luv them.

I have a beautiful pair of nearly new Muck Boots, tall, size 7 (make an offer) that don't fit me for beans. they rub my ankles and they don't fit over/under jeans... I hate them.

I'm so short I can only imagine that the Mucks are too tall/built tall for my legs but it does not work. I love my water proof trail shoes; I wear them all day, chores and walking the dogs.

I wear Dansko sport clogs. The soles are wider and more flexible than the standard 'professional' models (less ankle twisting). I don' t think they make my model anymore - I bought the last two pairs on eBay!
    Y'all ain't right!

Mud season- ankle high muck shoes (red!), winter- rubber boots with felt liners- the green ones with a fabric cuff and a drawstring. Summer- a pair of LL bean clogs. Love the red mucky duckies!

I just bought these today. The most comfortable boots...easy to pull on, waterproof, and they feel like a cross between sneakers and slippers. Great to just pull on and go feed the horses in, so my leather ropers don't get ruined. I bought them at Tractor Supply for $30.

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-931...ECjCabGswV2IIA

Ariats. And for cold weather, their Weather Beaters.

I've gone through several pairs of paddock boots and finally a saddle seat after wearing jeans, paddock boots and half chaps to ride in for years. So, I started schooling in breeches and zip up mountain horse boots. If I'm just working around the barn I pull on my Hunter wellies... with wellie warmers in the winter.

Blundstones or Redbacks.

My favorite wear-around-all-of-the-time boots are my Ariat Monaco paddock boots. I love them so much that I bought a second pair shortly after the first so that I would have my backups before I needed them. Now entering year 3 with my current ones (which is 2 years longer than my many pairs of other Ariat paddock boots before these).

The other two pairs of boots I wear are my Ariat Volant tall boots and my Ariat Brossards. Love the tennis shoe foot on the Volants, love how comfortable to ride in they are, and they've held up well for the last couple of years. And then my Ariat Brossards for when it's super cold out (don't ride in them, though), or I'm out mucking or standing around for long periods of time with the vet, farrier, or anyone else.

Wow, listing them out makes me feel like a dyed-in-the-wool Ariat person! I'm not the biggest Ariat fan, but I have to admit that I keep coming back to their boots time and time again.

My favorite wear-around-all-of-the-time boots are my Ariat Monaco paddock boots. I love them so much that I bought a second pair shortly after the first so that I would have my backups before I needed them. Now entering year 3 with my current ones (which is 2 years longer than my many pairs of other Ariat paddock boots before these).

The other two pairs of boots I wear are my Ariat Volant tall boots and my Ariat Brossards. Love the tennis shoe foot on the Volants, love how comfortable to ride in they are, and they've held up well for the last couple of years. And then my Ariat Brossards for when it's super cold out (don't ride in them, though), or I'm out mucking or standing around for long periods of time with the vet, farrier, or anyone else.

Wow, listing them out makes me feel like a dyed-in-the-wool Ariat person! I'm not the biggest Ariat fan, but I have to admit that I keep coming back to their boots time and time again.

For hanging around the barn, Ariat's Barnyard Side Zips.

I love my Volants, too. But I wouldn't call them "barn shoes."
    Fan of the Swedish Chef

Dubarry's , they are perfect.

My regular barn shoes are any pair of flat shoes that are too worn to wear out and about on the town.
    I have paddock boots for riding so if I want something that's more hardcore or waterproof I can pop those on.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Summer: Merrell slipons (found at a resale store for $4.50!!!) - cool, comfortable AND machine washable!

Winter: Timberland hikers or cheapo TSC rubber "fur"-lined boots - both are waterproof and warm even without socks.
    As a bonus: Timberland will replace boots that fall apart or spring a leak FOR FREE if they determine the problem was theirs.
    Actually I think they do it for anyone just for the PR. Great marketing.
    I sent them my 3yo ones that had cracked across the vamp (after 3yrs of barn use with no upkeep on my part) and got back a brand-new pair.

Year-round: my custom Dehner slip-on paddock boots - now going on year 12.
    Their oiltan finish is as near waterproof as you can get w/o going to rubber.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Faux Dubarry's aka Dublin River Boots. I used to wear Danskos until I read too many stories of people twisting their ankles in them and then it happened to me. Plus they don't work in the mud. I love my Ariats but will not wear them around the barn as I've had to replace too many zippers.

Ariat Terrains, pretty much the only thing I wear; however, for waterproof, I bought a pair of Justin George Straight Ropers with pink tops, they are comfortable, very waterproof and easy to slip on and off. I LOVED the old waterproof Ariat Terrains that zipped up the front (long discontinued) they really didn't last long but still the best boot for everyday barn wear. I have Ariat H2O paddock boots but they just don't fit like the old discontinued Ariat zip ups; hence I don't wear them that much.
    "My treasures do not chink or gleam, they glitter in the sun and neigh at night."
    ~Gypsy saying

I suppose it depends on what you do "around the barn". I wear Muck boots, since I do a lot of that. If I was a boarder I would probably wear something more attractive.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/