The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by genevieveg17 View Post
    I am putting one of my fillies in this sale. A buckskin filly by Redwine.
    We shall see.....
    I am shocked she isn't sold already! I am generally not a dilute fan but she is beautiful. Best of luck in the sale.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    Kudos to RPSI for tackling this new concept for selling foals.

Does anyone know if the knockdown prices will be released to the public? Reason I am asking is because there have been various sport horse auctions around the country in the past that do not release results, so their credibility is a bit in question. It would be to RPSI's advantage to publish accurate financial info, so the buying and selling public knows what to expect for future auctions.

Also - what involvement will RPSI have in policing the follow-up? IOW, what happens if a seller doesn't meet his/her obligation to the buyer (ships an unthrifty foal, doesn't ship the foal in the agreed time frame, swaps foals, etc.)? Is there any protection for the buyer? (And yes, the JillB/Redwine debacle is still fresh in my mind.)

I can't answer the 1st question.

As far as the 2nd goes, it is my understanding that the checks will directly to RPSI,THEN to the foal owners.

Not sure what they will do w/the change of ownership papers. Last year I sold my RPSI weanling prior to getting her papers ('cause RPSI is THE SLOWEST registry in the Universe for this). I asked if they would just mail the papers directly to the new owner, but they wouldn't do that.

They had to mail them to me, then I mailed them to the owner. Kinda dumb, but that's the way they did it.

DY, which auctions are you referring to? I inquired about another one recently, because they didn't have prices listed. I told them what stock I had (and I knew they had offered a gelding the same age and by the same sire as mine), and they told me what that horse had sold for.

I would email RPSI about these concerns, if the public interest is strong enough, some adaptations can be made. I just think it is VERY important the public support the auction.

Just try to pretend all these foals are in Germany....then everyone will loosen their purse strings...

Its great to see an American registry supporting its breeders this way. Can't wait to see the collection. I hear some of the American bred horses from this registry are being competed and promoted in Germany?

Quote Originally Posted by ponypappy View Post
    Its great to see an American registry supporting its breeders this way. Can't wait to see the collection. I hear some of the American bred horses from this registry are being competed and promoted in Germany?

Really? I hadn't heard this. It's not a secret to most that RPSI is one of the smallest WB registries in Germany, whereas here in the States it's one of the largest.

How this will effect the results of the auction (over in Germany) will be very interesting to see.

Again, I just give kudos to them for giving it a try.

Next year, it would be nice to see several of the (American) registries put foals in the auction.

In Europe are the foal auctions ONLY limited to each specific registry or do they ever have a "mixed" auction of just (for eg) "select" foals, but from several different registries?

I think she is referring to Silver Creek's stallion, Validation, who has been competing in the young jumper classes in Germany. He is registered RPSI. Although his sire is KWPN, he was only presented to RPSI and GOV AFAIK. His dam is Holsteiner. It's been fun following his success.

Kudos to RPSI for tackling this new concept for selling foals.

Does anyone know if the knockdown prices will be released to the public? Reason I am asking is because there have been various sport horse auctions around the country in the past that do not release results, so their credibility is a bit in question. It would be to RPSI's advantage to publish accurate financial info, so the buying and selling public knows what to expect for future auctions.

Also - what involvement will RPSI have in policing the follow-up? IOW, what happens if a seller doesn't meet his/her obligation to the buyer (ships an unthrifty foal, doesn't ship the foal in the agreed time frame, swaps foals, etc.)? Is there any protection for the buyer? (And yes, the JillB/Redwine debacle is still fresh in my mind.)

The checks will be sent to RPSI, and then passed to the foal owner, protection enough for me :-)
    First and foremost about the horse.
    Rose Bud Ranch Sporthorses
    Like Us On Facebook!

Today is the 9th. Link in "early November". It is early November and less than a week until the 15th.

I hope they get the link in circulation soon.

Quote Originally Posted by aupanda View Post
    Today is the 9th. Link in "early November". It is early November and less than a week until the 15th.

I hope they get the link in circulation soon.
    you and me both...
    Like Us On Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by rosebudranch View Post
    The checks will be sent to RPSI, and then passed to the foal owner, protection enough for me :-)
    Protection for the seller, yes. But is there protection for the buyer? As I stated earlier - what happens if the seller doesn't ship the foal in the specified time frame? What if the seller substitutes foals? What happens if the foal arrives at the buyer and it is lame or in poor health? What happens if the seller won't send the foal's passport?

I couldn't find auction terms on the RPSI web site, so I was wondering how much back-up a buyer could expect from the registry, and if there is legal language in the auction contract that addresses this issue.

I wonder if the RSPI is acting like an escrow agent and does not send out money until all is right? I agree they should spell out how disputes will be resolved and timelines.

As a seller with a foal in the Select section of this auction, I feel it would be in MY best interest to make sure if someone buys my colt that I make sure he is as he is being represented in the auction until he steps into the trailer to head to his new home. I feel this way anytime I sell a horse because I want you to come back next time you need to buy, or pass along my info when you have a friend looking. I hope the other sellers feel the same.

I am a little frustrated that the link/list is not up yet though! The deadline to have your pics/video/info, etc. in to them was 10/28. The fact that people are/were still sending stuff in after the first of the month is annoying to those of us who got our stuff done on time. Buyers need a chance to see what's being offered and how to bid,etc.

I am hopeful the sale goes well. It would be nice to have this as a regular way to sell babies. It does seem that it needs to be a bit better organized in the future. Of course you expect bumps the first time or two, I just hope it takes off well enough to keep going.
    Check us out on Facebook at EVER AFTER FARM

2 members found this post helpful.

What 'everafterfarm' said..<smile>
    I have a Bon Balou colt in the auction.
    I always feel it is so important to have any sale horse in complete good health before it leaves my property whether the Buyer has come in person, or is completing the purchase through videos, pics and a full Veterinary report.
    I want the buyer to be happy with their new horse, and the horse to arrive safe and healthy at their new home.

Not sure how RPSI intend to handle this but I do know that I had to have my Vet out to my farm do a health check on the colt and fill in the form RPSI provided.
    Waiting with bated breath for the RPSI Sale site to become live.
    Martha
    Breeder of Quality and Colour
    Tobiano Pinto Sporthorses
    www.jmrpintos.com

Protection for the seller, yes. But is there protection for the buyer? As I stated earlier - what happens if the seller doesn't ship the foal in the specified time frame? What if the seller substitutes foals? What happens if the foal arrives at the buyer and it is lame or in poor health? What happens if the seller won't send the foal's passport?

I couldn't find auction terms on the RPSI web site, so I was wondering how much back-up a buyer could expect from the registry, and if there is legal language in the auction contract that addresses this issue.
    How are these concerns addressed if (for example) I was to buy a foal in Germany via on-line bidding? I bet most people never even considered this to be a real risk.

I mean, we are assuming everyone is going to keep their end of the bargain. All of participants are recognized breeders putting their foals in a public auction....they aren't some dude from Nigeria trying to rip folks off. And let's just say...just for the sake of argument...that someone puts a foal in that has been graded highly by RPSI, but meanwhile they haven't fed it or treated that pesky laceration it got afew months back. Vet check? Their brother is a vet. So they figured out a way to rip some one off, right? Well, they better be getting ALOT of $$$ for that one foal, because the fall out is going to be SO huge they will never sell another foal to anyone....

So I'm thinking that we shouldn't look for ghosts that probably aren't there...

You know, I can't speak for other COTH breeders, but I would say the vast majority of the foals (and broodies, but I haven't sold many of them) I've sold have been bought by people who never saw them in person till the day the foal arrived on their farm.

Instead, they bought the foal after seeing pics/video (taken by me), talking to the breeder (me) and of course a vet check (monitored by...me!). The foal was paid for in full before it was shipped. And these are foals that were priced between $4000-12,000.

And I never had a buyer worry that I was going to keep the foal after they paid for it...the subject never even came up! And I never had a buyer be disappointed. If the foal was going to look different than it did in the pics/video, I "warned" the buyer....like why that woolie, butt-high, slightly yak looking thing delivered to their door in Feb. looked so different than the slick, braided, fancy-looking animal did in the video...taken back in June.

So how is this any different? To me, the BIG difference (and in a good way) is that at least someone has seen these animals in person, and we are assuming that the breeding director of the registry knows their stuff.

So the Buyer doesn't just have to take the word of a barn-blind breeder on the quality of Fluffy the Foal. Instead, you have pics/videos/health check AND the evaluation of the breeding director, who has chosen the foal in the first place (in the Select section anyway).

Even if the foal is in the Open section, it has still been seen and evaluated by someone other than just the breeder. Big advantage, I would say.

And, if they get the info up in enough time, I'm sure there are plenty of eye-witnesses who have seen many of the foals at the various inspections....COTH will be burning up w/PMs.

However it's this last aspect that worries me. When IS the site going to be active? They are cutting it pretty darn close IMO.

Maybe they hired the same guys to do the auction site that Obama hired for the ACA website...
    Last edited by Kyzteke; Nov. 10, 2013 at 06:38 PM.

The page is complete! It looks great and is easy to navigate! The Select foals are at the top, followed by the open entries which are listed by date of birth, the oldest foals first. Several pictures of the foals, as well as a video link if available, and a good write up. I was also sent a questionaire about my colt which I filled out and sent to them (to give more information about their training experiences, temperment, etc). I will be taking current candids and close ups of his legs etc, as these will be available to interested buyers upon request. There are 47 foals being offered, some are sport pony foals as well. A great bunch of foals! I will leave posting the official link to RPSI, as soon as they publish it I will share here!! (Which should be today btw!)
    Last edited by rosebudranch; Nov. 11, 2013 at 04:33 AM. Reason: forgot something!
    Like Us On Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyzteke View Post
    How are these concerns addressed if (for example) I was to buy a foal in Germany via on-line bidding? I bet most people never even considered this to be a real risk.
    There is a full page of terms & conditions in the Oldenburg auction catalogs (in German and English), spelling out rights, responsibilities and liabilities of buyers and sellers, with mention of which aspects of the transaction fall under German civil code regarding consumers. The full weight of the Verband, as well as German consumer law, etc., is there to back up transactions and help ensure a satisfactory experience for both seller and buyer. I imagine it is much the same with other German registry auctions.

I was just wondering if the RPSI auction would have similar legal language detailing the rights/responsibilities/liabilities for all parties. I will check out the site now that it is up and take a look at the terms & conditions. (FWIW, a friend is looking into buying a foal, so we are curious about the RPSI auction.)

I'm happy to post the link!! It does look good!

http://rhpsi.hibid.com/auctions/current
    Check us out on Facebook at EVER AFTER FARM

Wow, there are some seriously nice foals in this auction.

A big Kudos to the RPSI I was thinking of presenting my two stallions to them for approval and I believe that this auction just tipped the scale in their favor. I really hope this is successful !!!
    Richard, Approved Black KWPN Stallion
    Website
    and Facebook page
    Oh Kaptain Underpants SFS, Approved BRp pony stallion
    Website and Facebook page

Agreed there are some really nice babies in this auction! I am totally in love w/some of the GRP foals and I don't even breed ponies!

I would have liked to see a full pedigree on every foal and captions on all the pics of animals related to the foal, but these are minor issues.

Several questions: I noticed #36 scored 8.0 and was site champion, but is listed in the Open Section. I wonder why? She should be eligible for the Select, I would think.

Also the auction details mention reserve prices...are they listed anywhere?

And I assume non-bidders can watch the progress of the auction? I need to keep my fingers OFF the keyboard during bidding, but I sure would like to follow the progress...

Quote Originally Posted by Kyzteke View Post
    Several questions: I noticed #36 scored 8.0 and was site champion, but is listed in the Open Section. I wonder why? She should be eligible for the Select, I would think.
    She is listed as a Select.

This is the quote on her page:

Note -- This filly was a late entry, replacing her pasture mate who sold. As Lot Numbers were already finalized in the catalog, she could not be listed at the top with the other Select foals --
    Richard, Approved Black KWPN Stallion
    Website
    and Facebook page
    Oh Kaptain Underpants SFS, Approved BRp pony stallion
    Website and Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by sfstable View Post
    She is listed as a Select.

This is the quote on her page:
    Thanks...I went through the whole catalog...Maybe by #36 I was getting woozy

I wish they had had this auction last year...I had a lovely Goldmaker filly who would have been perfect (also site winner). Can't wait to see how it all goes...