The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation HELP!! Dogs at high risk b/c of alcoholic husband!

I know that I've seen these types of threads, so Im reaching out to the COTH community. A friend just took the brave step and left her alcoholic, abusive husband. She drove herself and her 3 kids from Dickson, North Dakota to Philadelphia, PA.

She was not able to bring her two small dogs because of lack of room, but had planned on shipping later. However, her husband now is threatening to put them down ASAP if she does not come up with a plan to get them. She is safe with her family, but desperate about her dogs. They are small, and cannot be separated. She does not have a lot of money, and her husband is not giving her access to their bank accounts. (I know this is vague, and sounds insane, but my heart is breaking for her because he is still controlling her even from across the country).

Does anyone have contact information for a pet transport service that could help and isnt very expensive? A few rescues have been contacted but denied doing transport across country.
    "to each his own..."

just a horse obsessed girl who finds blogging way more fun than being an adult...
    http://equinerainman274.wordpress.com/

I don't know anything about that area....maybe try facebook? Word spreads quickly, especially within dog or rescue groups. Maybe a volunteer caravan can be started?

maybe edit to include that in the title:
    Transport help needed from ND to PA...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

It seems very strange that she didn't have room for two SMALL dogs if she drove. If it were me, I'd have left the clothes or whatever was taking up so much room in the car in order to keep my dogs with me. The dogs could have ridden in the kids' laps if it were that dire, and ship the clothes. Still...what's done is done.

Have a friend pick up both dogs promptly, preferably without a ton of advance notice to the husband. Have the friend bring leashes with her. If the friend is polite, business-like, and doesn't get drawn into any drama, the husband would probably be just as happy to have the dogs gone.

Once the dogs are with the friend, you can work out arrangements to transport. There are rescue lists online (yahoo groups, etc.) that coordinate relay transports for rescue and shelter dogs across the country. What breed are they? A breed-specific rescue might be a good place to start.
    Horse & Dog Designs: Clothing, Pendants, Water Bottles, Totes, Phone Cases, ETC:
    WoofNWhinny*
    NEW: Schnauzers, Boxers, Western, & Polo Ponies

Horsey Humor, Ponies, Barn Safety & More.

26 members found this post helpful.

there are plenty of dog transport organizations out there. just search for them online.

1 members found this post helpful.

The first priority is for someone to pick the dogs up immediately, without putting themselves in harm's way. Perhaps one of his buddies would even help if he's got a soft spot for animals. THe animals can stay with a friend for a few days, I'm sure. Someone can take them.

Then transport can be figured out.

3 members found this post helpful.

I left an abusive hussband in the middle of his drunken rage one night at 10PM and took six chihuahuas with me. To a motel. I would NOT have left them there. that being said, who is to say the transport would be given the dogs? I think best case scenario is to get a friend to go get them, and work transport from there. It is a sickening situation to find yourself in. I would have left my belongings before I left my dogs. Heck, I did.
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

15 members found this post helpful.

Abusive husbands usually isolate their families...but did she have ANY friends who might step up and get the dogs until transport can be figured out. Alcohol can really be a problem and little dogs COULD become pawns in his game.

On THe Road Again Pet rescue transport does relays to get pets places.

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm with those who said that she should have taken the dogs with her. However, since she didn't, I agree that she should ask a neighbor or friend or someone from work or someone at church (minister?) to get the dogs out of there instanter. And whoever does go to get the dogs should have someone with him/her to make sure there is a witness. Maybe someone from a local humane society or vet clinic would do a pickup for her?

Kudos to those of you who loaded up your dogs when you left. I can just see showing up at a motel with 6 chihuahuas!

Have her call the local vet clinics - everything from SE Saskatchewan to Fargo and from the MT border to Minot starting at Bismark and working outward - someone should be able to help. This whole area is pretty sparsely populated and we've got more cows than people so there may be a bit of calling to find help. I am too far away. just about 3 hours plus a border crossing......
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

I agree with those that say get the dogs out of the home first. Is there any friend who can take them in while transport is sorted out, or even an acquaintance who might be able to deliver them to a no-kill shelter?

We must also take into account that these are property, marital property at that, and that husband has to fully agree to let them go. If he's really as controlling as OP states, I imagine that there might ge mind games involved (ie that she has to pick them up in person, or the like).
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

Much as we consider out pets family, I think her top priority was likely getting the kids out safely. Hope someone can get there to get them and they can find their way to her.
    "Those who know the least often know it the loudest."

12 members found this post helpful.

From what I've heard, leaving that kind of man takes monumental effort, so I don't blame her exactly, for not taking the dogs. Plenty of women never leave with their own skins or their kids, let alone the pets. However, I can't help thinking anyone who walks into that situation right now is taking a hell of a risk.

4 members found this post helpful.

instead of going the dog rescue route,how about the abused spouse route?..........as in, contact a local shelter/agency for abused women.....there are PLENTY in phila area................and ask how to best approach this issue,and ask for contacts in the area of her former home..................the agencies that deal with abuse and property/possessions issues on a daily basis would be best equipped to help/ advise............THEN get friends or dog rescue involved,when someone who knows the ropes in the arena of spousal abuse has advised........

2 members found this post helpful.

http://afurryfriend.wordpress.com/an...port-services/
    A whole list of rescue transporters who may be able to help....
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

His threat does not make sense. To my knowledge no one can take a dog to ASPCA and demand that it is put down on the spot. The worse they can do is surrender a dog and then if no one adopts the dog it is at risk for euthanasia. Personally, I'd strongly encourage him to "dump" the animals. Doing so has him legally turn over the animals and prevents him from using the animals as a threat later.

Your friend can call into animal control, explain the situation, and have the dogs placed on hold. A local rescue would likely be more than happy to pick up the dogs and hold them until your friend can arrange transport.

No sense in reinventing the wheel. Working with his threat is the best case scenario in my opinion. If she hires a transport service the dogs are then seen as "valuable" and are more likely to be withheld as punishment. If she acts like dumping them at the shelter is no big deal then she can legally regain custody and completely remove him from the equation.

Of course his threat doesn't make sense - he's a manipulator! I was married to one... a lot of what he said doesn't make sense in retrospect, but he sure did know how to monkey with my emotions. I got my dogs out of the house a day before I left. I don't have children, so they were my #1 priority.

I don't live in ND area, but people here have had some excellent suggestions for getting the pups back. I hate that pets are "marital property," but sadly they are. I hope for a safe return or soft landing for the poor dogs.

It is not unknown for abusive spouses to kill and/or torture the pets of the abused, so they need to be removed ASAP.

Would it be possible to get a cop to come along with the brave dog picker-upper? maybe try to get them at a time when the husband isn't home (guess they'd need a key to get in though- overnight a copy of the key?)

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    His threat does not make sense. To my knowledge no one can take a dog to ASPCA and demand that it is put down on the spot. The worse they can do is surrender a dog and then if no one adopts the dog it is at risk for euthanasia. Personally, I'd strongly encourage him to "dump" the animals. Doing so has him legally turn over the animals and prevents him from using the animals as a threat later.

Your friend can call into animal control, explain the situation, and have the dogs placed on hold. A local rescue would likely be more than happy to pick up the dogs and hold them until your friend can arrange transport.

No sense in reinventing the wheel. Working with his threat is the best case scenario in my opinion. If she hires a transport service the dogs are then seen as "valuable" and are more likely to be withheld as punishment. If she acts like dumping them at the shelter is no big deal then she can legally regain custody and completely remove him from the equation.
    If you surrender a dog and say he bit you, they probably will put them down right away. We don't know what type if area the animal control facility is in or how it is ran. In small towns around here, it can be an outside dog run with a tarp. Some places don't even really do a significant number of adoptions or hold the dogs for long. At others, disease is rampant and if a dog coughs, he is put down on the spot. If this person is dealing with a more progressive shelter, I can see your plan working. No offense intended, but in some parts of the country I wouldn't do it.
    Does she have any neighbors she can call? Would he drop the dogs off at her old vet clinic? I'd call everyone I could think of, especially animal people. Maybe he could just leave them outside if they have a fenced yard and someone could pick them up. I would look
    For a temporary situation, and then arrange transport. I would definitely talk to any dog rescues in the area because many do transport runs anyway. I would especially talk to breed rescues in the area, and if they or one is purebred, anyone involved with that breed in the area. I think the key is networking. I'd also call any Pilot and Paws program in the area as this is a sympathetic cause and someone will probably help.