The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Topical treatments for soft hooves?

We have gotten a lot of rain the last 12 weeks and even though my pasture is well drained, the grass is always heavy with dew for hours in the morning. My horse is, for the most part, on pasture 24/7. We have been having hoof integrity issues due to the wet/dry cycle. She has not been able to hold shoes, has had thrush and scratches (both treated successfully). I put her on Integri-hoof by Kauffman 10 weeks ago and 8 weeks ago started using Kertatex Hoof Hardener. The first week in September my farrier cast her in Equisocks as her hooves were still too soft to support nailed shoes, and I was not able to apply the Keratex and the excess moisture problem contines.

I had a new farrier out on Sunday to rebuild some hoof and shoe her for her LLD issue and he commented that her hooves are still very soft. Wondering if I should continue with the Keratex Hardener, switch to the gel or try The Right Step by Lifedata…

Does anyone have any input or past experience with trying to keep a healthy moisture level in hooves? I am now keeping her on drylot (cement yard with 2 inches of sand over the top) and only allowing her on pasture in the evenings and only if its dry. I’d much rather her be on pasture grazing all day and walking around than standing in front of the hay feeder staring at the pasture..

Thanks for your help! Kim

I think everyone is having the same issue this year.

That being said, I don't know that the dryness of the lot you moved her to is any better for the hooves than the wet/dry cycle. Cement, even covered in 2" of sand (which isn't much), is still going to be so hard on her feet, and not moving around much isn't doing anything to stimulate growth and circulation.

If I were in your situation (and I have been because it's been super wet here too), I would rather have them moving around grazing then standing on concrete at a hay rack, even though it's "dry." JMO
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I would say that you should keep up with the Keratex Hoof Hardener, but also use the Hoof Gel on the upper part of the hoof wall. (The Hardener isn't supposed to be used on the upper part of the hoof wall near the coronet band).

You might also look at whether the horse, now that she's off pasture, needs some added Omega 3 fats in her diet. Some flax seed might be a good addition. (I don't know what is in the supplement you're currently feeding her, and maybe that's already taken care of).

Good luck.
    "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

2 members found this post helpful.

My farrier has always said Keratex or Tough Stuff

This question was asked by someone else a few weeks ago.

I use crossapol. It, and life data labs' hoof disinfectant (which I used to use), are the only products that harden my 4 white hoofed horse's hooves. You have to follow directions. And it takes 3 months to produce results. shoes stay on, the hoof doesn't get mushy, and it works all over the hoof wall and sole.

Keratex never worked on any of my horses. It may work for some, but not for mine in mud and rain. I've tried other products as well, and none of them worked for my horses.

I use Venice Turpentine with a little DMSO mixed in, and it works like a charm.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

I use Keratex hardener on the lower half of the walls, and Keratex gel on the soles and upper half of the walls.

Can you get to the soles and lower part of her walls or are they cast in something? If you can, it might be helpful to use a heat gun to dry the hooves before you use anything.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Cornucrescine Hoof Barrier. My horses live out all year round and I used to see their hooves degenerate in the excess moisture. I discovered that using Fiebing's Hoof Lotion (not dressing, lotion) helped prevent the foot absorbing as much moisture and they stayed healthier. Cornucrescine Hoof Barrier is specifically designed to block the excess moisture from the hoof and works even better.

I introduced a fellow boarder to Hoof Barrier and her boy has kept his shoes on in muddier conditions for longer with less hoof wall than he'd managed before.

Yes, it's expensive. Yes, it's worth it.

I was having a similar problem with my horse this year, although she was holding her shoes, she was foot sore. I have had two reccomendations: one was for Kevlar Tough Stuff and the other was for Sea Shore Sole Paint. I have not tried the sole paint yet, but have been using the Kevlar TS over the nail holes and cracks on her feet and it seems to be helping the integrity of her feet. Just out of curiosity I am going to try the sole paint. I had also used some Magic Cushion to try to help the foot soreness. At first because it was so wet I wasn't having good luck with it staying in her feet so was wrapping her foot with some plastic wrap on the bottom and some duct tape to keep it on her foot. This actually seemed to make it worse and hold in the moisture. Sounds like you have gotten some good tips so far.

A simple solution one farrier told me was to put Pinesole on the hooves. It's designed to draw out moisture and will therefor harden the hooves.

Farrier Barrier
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/