The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Constructive criticism & judgement of one's wares is the name of the game with horses, whether it be of foals or top level competition. We pay gobs of money to be judged against others.

I always think that the American contigent of the sporthorse community needs a wake up call when threads like this pop up. Check out these articles published in a high profile manner & making some serious, unapologetic accusations. No worries about hurting someone's feeling over there!

On 2010 WEGs:
    http://www.eurodressage.com/equestri...uestrian-games

On 2013 Trakehner Stallion Approvals & Auction:
    http://www.trakehners-international....2013_gala.html

Pennywell- Haha no no no
    Samantha Werner

There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Dressage_Diva333 View Post
    What a pretty mare! Just out of curiosity, what are her bloodlines on both sides?
    Thanks! She is a pretty thing - and she knows it! But wow, what a work ethic! She wants to "do something" every single day!

Here is her pedigree. http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/pflashpoint

Quote Originally Posted by SarahS View Post
    Constructive criticism & judgement of one's wares is the name of the game with horses, whether it be of foals or top level competition. We pay gobs of money to be judged against others.

I always think that the American contigent of the sporthorse community needs a wake up call when threads like this pop up. Check out these articles published in a high profile manner & making some serious, unapologetic accusations. No worries about hurting someone's feeling over there!

On 2010 WEGs:
    http://www.eurodressage.com/equestri...uestrian-games

On 2013 Trakehner Stallion Approvals & Auction:
    http://www.trakehners-international....2013_gala.html
    Add the link to her commentary updated today. Maren has a PhD in genetics (I think) and she doesn't hold back on the bloodlines and performance.

http://www.trakehners-international....ommentary.html
    Proud member of the Clean Horse, Dirty House Clique! Founder of the Goodbye Fat, Hello Muscle Clique!

What comes after perfect? I think we need a new word.

"Add the link to her commentary updated today. Maren has a PhD in genetics (I think) and she doesn't hold back on the bloodlines and performance.

http://www.trakehners-international....ommentary.html"

I love what she says in the commentary about the unfortunate trend ( in many current wb breeds, btw) towards breeding too long legged, flashy up front
    /nothing behind, weak backs, etc. But that's another topic!

Or, maybe not... it's this kind of open commentary allows healthy discourse and further's education

I should probably avert my eyes and move on but...

A bit suprised that a GOV breeder doesn't know that foals are not approved at the inspections. They either achieve premium status (for whatever that is worth) or they don't.

Calling a mare "so-so" is not a factual statement, it is a subjective opinion. It not even a really negative one, it implies "middle of the road" not inferior.

Had no idea who the foal and mare could have possibly been until now.

I used to own a GOV approved mare who produced a premium foal every year but for one. That particular colt did not impress as a youngster. But he grew into a swan and scored 76% on one of his dressage tests last season. He moves with swing and elasticity and once in motion you can't take your eyes off him. As a foal? Not so much.

You can't get yourself in too much of a knot about foal achievements and subjective comments. When it comes to horses the proof will be in the performance.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

3 members found this post helpful.

Apparently the OP has decided to put away her drama llama, and now she's behind the barn licking her wounds (or typing a novel to DY, who knows.) In the meantime, I'm waiting for Edward Gal to start a thread here crying about how he just paid 100,000 euros for a Totilas stallion and posters on the "Hanoverian licensing results" thread are saying mean things about it. Maybe he should have bought a foal out of a "so so" Arabian mare instead
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." George Burns

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    Apparently the OP has decided to put away her drama llama, and now she's behind the barn licking her wounds (or typing a novel to DY, who knows.) In the meantime, I'm waiting for Edward Gal to start a thread here crying about how he just paid 100,000 euros for a Totilas stallion and posters on the "Hanoverian licensing results" thread are saying mean things about it. Maybe he should have bought a foal out of a "so so" Arabian mare instead
    I don't know why I feel the need to stick up for the OP but DY has rubbed me the wrong way on this thread. I don't get the impression that it was DY calling the foal "so so" that set off the OP who appears to have wisely let this go. I don't think she would have been upset if DY had called the mare "so so" either.

It looks like it was DY's use of the "vastly inferior" mare as a cautionary tale for someone else that set off the OP.

Without knowing about the OP, I would have assumed from DY's posts that some BYB bred a fugly arab to a WB and then showed up at the inspection with a "cute" (all foals are cute) foal whose failure to achieve premium status was predestined by the utter fugliness of the mare. If that was my mare and I knew that she had produced premium foals in the past, I would have wanted to defend her and my breeding program too if I knew that people I know would know exactly who she was talking about. It's human nature.

I would hope that someone would have stopped me before I started a thread on COTH because there's no way this was ending well and it just gave DY more opportunity to yank the OP's chain by posting photos of her own arab crosses in this thread days after the OP left the building with the implication of "look at my really nice horses-I won't be upset if you laugh at them (which you obviously wouldn't because they're so nice and I'm so knowledgeable and experienced as a breeder"). I thought that was kind of obnoxious.

So maybe that's why I'm feeling like the OP's only mistake was posting here.

And as for the Totilas foal, I believe DY called it "yucky".[ ETA-I was wrong, she called one of the other stallions presented yucky] I doubt that would endear her to the breeder because it's not a critique, it's a judgment.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRider View Post
    So maybe that's why I'm feeling like the OP's only mistake was posting here.
    I doubt anyone in this thread would disagree with you on this.

Maybe not for the reasons you posted, but in the end that is the mistake the OP made.

I would guess 99% of the people here would never have known who DY was talking about had the OP not waved a huge flag in our faces trying to make a point that is just not worth making.

2 members found this post helpful.

I think she might have lent that llama to another poster.

I liked the Toto stallion. I think he might show some serious movement under saddle. We shall see (as a riding horse).

Always like what Maren has to say. Good stuff.

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't know why I feel the need to stick up for the OP but DY has rubbed me the wrong way on this thread. I don't get the impression that it was DY calling the foal "so so" that set off the OP who appears to have wisely let this go. I don't think she would have been upset if DY had called the mare "so so" either.

It looks like it was DY's use of the "vastly inferior" mare as a cautionary tale for someone else that set off the OP.
    Wrong. I did not refer to the mare as "vastly inferior". Here is a direct quote of what I posted in that thread.

The Oldenburg inspectors tell me they have seen lovely Half-Arabian offspring through the years sired by Rosenthal and Ironman. I have also seen several by Rosenthal, including recently - one was quite gorgeous, the other sort of "so-so" (pretty, but didn't have much in the way of movement, elasticity, etc.), but the quality of the dams was vastly different and it showed in the offspring.
    And as for the Totilas foal, I believe DY called it "yucky".[ ETA-I was wrong, she called one of the other stallions presented yucky] I doubt that would endear her to the breeder because it's not a critique, it's a judgment.
    Wrong again. I said its walk was pretty yucky.

Edited to add - I posted a photo of my mare only to prove that I actually DO have a homebred warmblood/Arabian cross (since there have been some doubters).

I find that the best way to deal with people who criticize your program (breeding, riding, training, whatever) is not to argue with them, but to get out there and prove them wrong.

9 members found this post helpful.

God, now we all have to save every post we make so that people don't misquote us? Give it up NCRider. You're misquoting DY and adding to the train wreck.

Isn't critiquing others' horses a part of the horse business? Everything is subjective except the jumpers. Good movers, good conformation, etc., are all as beauty in the eye of the beholder. And we learned here that we cannot, obviously, "behold" OP's horses without getting flamed by her and her buddy.

Apparently the OP has decided to put away her drama llama, and now she's behind the barn licking her wounds)

Or upped her meds....
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

3 members found this post helpful.

Unhappy

This thread is stupid...

8 members found this post helpful.

Pennywell Bay that's just offensive.

7 members found this post helpful.