The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boxer peeps - help!

Bladder functions. Yes, she has been to the vet and just got off a 10 day oxy drug program. Still peeing in the house with blood.

She is an older boxer (10) and we have her since she was one. And I (we) will be going the the vet again today.

Help - DH heart dog.

Hugs to you.

Our older girl lost control of her bladder at the end. We just kept her cleaned up and carried her outside whenever we could, but we knew that she was miserable over it and we made the tough choice.
    ~ The Goat Whisperer
    Website

how sure was the vet that this was just a UTI?

all kinds of conditions can cause blood in the urine, from bladder stones to cancer.

Do you do a urinalysis?
    Blood work?

My old 11 yo girl has lost some control of her bladder as she has aged and tends to "leak", there are meds out there to help. But you need to rule out other underlying issues first. The blood in the urine is concerning.
    Bilbo - The mustang!
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Can't advise - but our daughter has a Boxer and she is sure the most charming, adorable, friendly, humorous, buddy a person could ask for.
    Older dogs can become leaky and we've had very good luck with meds from the vet. Good luck.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Do you feed any chicken jerky/chicken treats? One of the issues they are causing is blood in the urine...

Have they done any diagnostics to ck for crystals/bladder stones?

Definitely was a UTI as she was more than happy to provide a sample when she was at the vet. She gets "natural" treats (beef) where I know from who provides it.

And on another round of antibodies.

I'm not really a dog person but she sure is a keeper - loves kids and DH is just beside himself if we have to make a decision.

I would ultrasound to be sure.

How is her kidney function?

with Alfonso Spagoni, the toreador. NOT in a ticky tacky box!

I would still have a blood panel for cancer. My boxer had blood in her urine, diagnosed as a uti, about two weeks before being diagnosed with cancer. I believe they are the number one breed for cancer cases.

Good luck

A friend has boxers. Hers are all from different breeders. 3 of the 4 have had thyroid issues and 2 developed Cushings as they got older. Two of them have had allergies to grass. From what she says cancer is a big problem in boxers.

Taking a quick look on line females are more likely to get Cushings. It is common in boxers. Early symptoms include increased thirst and urination and accidents in the house.

My friend had a tough time getting her first dog correctly diagnosed. The vet just kept giving her antibiotics even after she told him she thought it might be Cushings based on the internet. She finally took her to another vet and got a correct diagnosis. Her dog was classic symptoms- peeing, balding, pot belly with thin legs.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Good luck with your Boxer...my girl "Katie Scarlett O'Boxer" made it to 14 1/2...a very old boxer. Luckily, other than thyroid issues (one little pill a day) she was great (until the lipomas internally blocked and intestine..no pain, just inflated the girl).

I'd really think cancer or tumors of some sort, this is the breed for them...as others have said, a sonogramme may be the way to go...plus, it's non-invasive and no stress on your girl.

Good luck, they're a lovely breed...gassy though! Katie could clear a room.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Ha - our KoKo could clear a room, too, and we find that a spoonful of yogurt on her feed helped quite a lot.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

What are they seeing on the urinalysis to indicate an infection? In a voided sample it is common to see some bacteria.

If she finishes this second round and is not 100% better it is time to persue more diagnostics.

Cancer and bladder stones are often mis-diagnosed as simple infections in older dogs.
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    A friend has boxers. Hers are all from different breeders. 3 of the 4 have had thyroid issues and 2 developed Cushings as they got older. Two of them have had allergies to grass. From what she says cancer is a big problem in boxers.

Taking a quick look on line females are more likely to get Cushings. It is common in boxers. Early symptoms include increased thirst and urination and accidents in the house.

My friend had a tough time getting her first dog correctly diagnosed. The vet just kept giving her antibiotics even after she told him she thought it might be Cushings based on the internet. She finally took her to another vet and got a correct diagnosis. Her dog was classic symptoms- peeing, balding, pot belly with thin legs.
    If she is no better after this round of antis, I will definitely bring up Cushings and schedule a sonogram.

The blood has cleared up and that was only a couple times in her urine. But she has started to increase her thirst again and more frequent urination, so we'll be going back to the vet on Monday.

Thanks to everyone for their input and if you can spare a jungle or two to send Brie's way, it would be much appreciated!

A little OT but how come it cost almost $20.00 more for the office visit than it does for a farm call from my equine vet?

Hugs. Agreed full blood work and a sonogram are in order if she's not improving.