The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Stand it up and just cut the corner slits deeper... and then tape tape tape!!!! Enough duct tape will hold anything together.
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*
    Proud Momma of *Capital Kiss* and Bottle Rocket!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbutnotdead View Post
    When you ship a saddle for $30, does that include insurance for the value of the saddle?
    If the box had come in under the 107" dimensions requirement (not oversized), it would have been $37 at the most with approx. $10 of that being for $800 worth of insurance. Obviously, it will cost more for a more expensive saddle, but the insurance is pretty economical.
    Let us ride together; blowing mane and hair; careless of the weather; miles ahead of care...Fat Cat Farm Sport Horses

Quote Originally Posted by archieflies View Post
    Stand it up and just cut the corner slits deeper... and then tape tape tape!!!! Enough duct tape will hold anything together.
    Ah ha, and just fold over more?
    Let us ride together; blowing mane and hair; careless of the weather; miles ahead of care...Fat Cat Farm Sport Horses

I always ship saddles via UPS from where I live as it's just around the corner. I don't trust USPS with anything overly expensive. It costs me about the same anyway. If it's really important or really expensive or fragile do the quickest option you can. As the fewer number of people that touch the box the less likely it will be to get damaged. That advice was given from someone I know who used to work at FedEx for 10 years.

When it comes to the post office, it really depends on the person behind the counter. Serveral months ago I sent a huge box halfway across the country that included saddle pads, bridles, girths, and a saddle. It cost less than $30 to ship. Just the other day I sent a box that was one-third the size to SC, and it was the same cost. One USPS employee measured the box, one didn't. (Incidentally, with the big box, the guy helped me add extra tape to it; with the small one, the woman told me to buy a roll of tape if I wanted extra tape.)

When sending something on trial and with insurance, it's totally worth the extra $10 to use FedEx. They pack it for you and assume all responsibility. My local FedEx store didn't blink when I brought in a $3K saddle to ship. As I recall it cost $80 with insurance and all the packing, etc.

Re: duct tape, I was actually told by the USPS you can't ship with duct tape b/c there is a correlation with box bombs & duct taped packages. I was using hot pink duct tape tho (i was moving & wanted to make sure everything was labeled ) so they let it slide...apparently, bombers don't use pink tape!
    And the wise, Jack Daniels drinking, slow-truck-driving, veteran TB handler who took "no shit from no hoss Miss L, y'hear," said: "She aint wrapped too tight."

Quote Originally Posted by La Chasse View Post
    Re: duct tape, I was actually told by the USPS you can't ship with duct tape b/c there is a correlation with box bombs & duct taped packages. I was using hot pink duct tape tho (i was moving & wanted to make sure everything was labeled ) so they let it slide...apparently, bombers don't use pink tape!
    I almost always use duct tape when shipping boxes and my very pain in the backside post office has never mentioned it being an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by La Chasse View Post
    That's so funny, the same thing happened to me (without the pink tho). They said that only terrorists used duct tape--if only it were so easy to detect bombs, right? I had used it without issue in the past, though, so it may depend on the clerk.

Quote Originally Posted by Beam Me Up View Post
    That's so funny, the same thing happened to me (without the pink tho). They said that only terrorists used duct tape--if only it were so easy to detect bombs, right? I had used it without issue in the past, though, so it may depend on the clerk.
    Clearly they have not been out shopping recently. You can buy fun duct tape just about everywhere now (grocery store, drug store, Walmart, etc).

I use FedEx. After selling a saddle the last headache I need is shipping related

OP: Fold and tape the crap outta that box!! Every seam. When I shipped things to DH during deployment, I double-taped each seam in the box whether it was an open one or not. Tape tape tape! Also across ways on the flaps too for more, um, tensile strength? Always worked, and boxes going to sea-going carriers are abuuuuuuuuuuuused.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Quote Originally Posted by Beam Me Up View Post
    They said that only terrorists used duct tape
    Mwahahahaaha! Obvioyusly, they didn't grow up watching the Red Green Show. Or maybe they did.

I live in the backwoods. They would look at me like I was out of place (and probably inspect my package extra careful-like) if I did NOT use duct tape!
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*
    Proud Momma of *Capital Kiss* and Bottle Rocket!

Quote Originally Posted by Fergs View Post
    When sending something on trial and with insurance, it's totally worth the extra $10 to use FedEx. They pack it for you and assume all responsibility. My local FedEx store didn't blink when I brought in a $3K saddle to ship. As I recall it cost $80 with insurance and all the packing, etc.
    $10 would be worth it -- but I just got a quote on a pack and ship from FedEx (I actually had my own box and just wanted materials) that was *$52* more than what I actually ended up paying to ship it in my own box with my own packing materials. Plus I felt like I was getting the used-car runaround from the clerk when I asked why it was going to be so much. They'll be lucky if they get my business again, and if they do, they won't be packing it for me.

Our company ships bulky equipment with some strange box configurations. I second cutting the slits in the box deeper. Also we used to ship ups all the time until the lost two packages (they were supposed to be overnight and they did make it in time. Been shipping FedEx the last few months with no issues.

I just shipped a dressage saddle today via USPS, in a fairly large box (I'm guessing 20x20x24?). Shipping was $43 total which included $1200 worth of insurance coverage. This was not priority - just regular shipping, with an arrival of Monday p.m. or Tuesday a.m.

Jo, they evidently didn't measure it or the total dimensions came in under 105". Anyway, lesson learned and the next time I will cut the slots deeper and duct tape generously. FWIW the saddle arrived just fine and the buyer is happy and we wound up splitting the difference in cost, so it worked out fine.

I recently shipped a dressage saddle via FedEx ground, it took three days to travel 2000 miles, and cost $40 to ship with insurance. I shipped a much smaller item via USPS parcel post (or standard post, whatever they call it now) less distance, it took almost 10 days to get there (took two days longer than the scheduled delivery date), and cost $20. After waiting in line at the post office for 20 mins then dealing with a rude counter person. There is no service left in the United States Postal Service....no wonder they are having a hard time.

last year my office shipped holiday gift packages to clients - some boxes were large, but smaller than what would be used to ship a saddle and what we were charged even w/ corporate volume discount was ridiculous... $80 not so bad - and does that include insurance?

Yes, but if you can keep the box size down, it cuts the cost almost in half with USPS.