The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default USPS now wanting $80 to ship a a saddle!

I had just sent this saddle out on trial a month ago and it cost $35 to send. Now UDPS is saying $80 and and wants a "oversize" fee. Anyone else have this happen and is there another, less expensive option?
    Let us ride together; blowing mane and hair; careless of the weather; miles ahead of care...Fat Cat Farm Sport Horses

I've sold a few saddles on eBay and $80 wasn't that high. However I was shipping through UPS, as USPS lost a one of a kind sidesaddle I bought online... it finally showed up like 45 days after it was shipped, from a neighboring state!
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

USPS is saying they evidently did not measure the box when I shipped previously and thats the difference.
    Let us ride together; blowing mane and hair; careless of the weather; miles ahead of care...Fat Cat Farm Sport Horses

USPS has always been the less expensive option for me. UPS was usually much more expensive, especially when delivering to a small town. Was this Priority or Parcel Post? I usually check both rates. Sometimes they are about the same and sometimes Parcel Post can save you some $$.

I shipped three out last week, and didn't pay over $30 for any of them, one being a hefty dressage saddle that was going quite far away.

You need to look to the size of your box, yes, the oversize fees will get you right quick.

But I have shipped western saddles and not run into an oversize fee, so you need to look into cutting down the box. It's better for saddles not to be jiggling around anyway.

I've shipped dozens and dozens of saddles (hard to fit horse combined with a tack addiction!) and never had issues with USPS>

Size of the box is definitely key. On another note, I just received and returned a western saddle FedEx for only just over $30 each way. Now maybe it was because it just had to go one state over, but I thought that was a good deal; I always thought that FedEx would be super pricey.

I do a lot of selling on Ebay, etc and for me, UPS is usually close to half of the price of the post office (and the insurance is cheaper and less of a hassle if you actually have the unfortunate occurrence to have to use it).
    But if you want to go with USPS, I agree with GoForAGallop- cut down the size of your box and pack that puppy in tight! When our saddle maker comes for fittings at work, he mails the saddles from the Netherlands so he doesn't have to carry them on the plane. He fits 5 or 6 saddles in the same box that most people would fit 1 in and they seem to travel just fine that way
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

1 members found this post helpful.

If the box is too big, the price goes up. Get a smaller box. I have shipped about 10 saddles in the last month and only one had an oversize fee because of the large seat size and super foreword flap. It measured over by a couple inches lol!

UPS is also another good option. Around 55-65 insured and all. Just a pain sometimes.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Yep, it was the box. I shipped it and me and the buyer are splitting the difference. I bought a heavy duty UHaul moving box (24"x17"x24") as I had a saddle previously come back with rubs after the thinnish box it was shipped back to me in took some damage in shipping. USPS says oversize is when the box's dimensions add up to 107" or more. It was an Albion Legend Dressage saddle with fittings. There was a little room in the box, but not a lot, which was compensated for with padding. Next time, I'll go down a size and make it fit. Lesson learned and just further proof no good deed goes unpunished.

Quote Originally Posted by FatCatFarm View Post
    Yep, it was the box. I shipped it and me and the buyer are splitting the difference. I bought a heavy duty UHaul moving box (24"x17"x24") as I had a saddle previously come back with rubs after the thinnish box it was shipped back to me in took some damage in shipping. USPS says oversize is when the box's dimensions add up to 107" or more. It was an Albion Legend Dressage saddle with fittings. There was a little room in the box, but not a lot, which was compensated for with padding. Next time, I'll go down a size and make it fit. Lesson learned and just further proof no good deed goes unpunished.
    You don't necessarily have to take the box down a size (although I can make almost any saddle fit in the 18x18x16 (or whatever that last number is) boxes), you can just cut whatever box you're using down to "custom fit" the saddle. Just slice through a few inches at each corner, and refold. Saddle flaps can also be gently folded/rolled inwards, particularly helpful with the dressage saddles.

Rubs can be prevented by wrapping it in that thin thin foam. (Like what you find separating shoes, for example) You can find it at Walmart.

If I'm shipping heavy stuff like stirrups and bits along with the saddle, sometimes I keep those out and stuff them in one of the $6 flat rate boxes!

Or, if you don't ship saddles that often, just do whatever works. Like I said, I'm a saddle shipping pro.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FatCatFarm View Post
    I always put a the saddle in heavy duty trash bag before I put it in the box to keep it from getting scratches.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

1 members found this post helpful.

That's a good idea! Thanks.

What size box do you all recommend for shipping a dressage saddle? I have one going out this week - yay!

Fedex has always been a cheaper option for me, plus it includes tracking. Their cost is actually less when you have larger/odd shaped items.

I think last time I Fedex-ed out a saddle it cost me $35-$40. This was probably a year ago?

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    Fedex has always been a cheaper option for me, plus it includes tracking. Their cost is actually less when you have larger/odd shaped items.

I think last time I Fedex-ed out a saddle it cost me $35-$40. This was probably a year ago?
    All USPS packages, no matter what speed they're sent out at, include tracking now, just FYI. And if you ship Priority it automatically includes $200 worth of insurance, or something.

I checked both FedEx and UPS before and they were both more than USPS (at least when you don't use and over-sized box) and that included insurance and a tracking number.

Quote Originally Posted by Jo View Post
    What size box do you all recommend for shipping a dressage saddle? I have one going out this week - yay!
    Less than a 24x17x24 one anyway!

I used the 24x17x24 one last time and cut it down significantly. All that extra cardboard in there added some extra thickness/padding too!

I had a dressage saddle come recently where they had unscrewed the thigh blocks so it would roll up tighter and fit in a smaller box.
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*
    Proud Momma of *Capital Kiss* and Bottle Rocket!

How did you cut the box down without sacrificing it's integrity so that if it gets tossed around it doesn't come apart?

When you ship a saddle for $30, does that include insurance for the value of the saddle?