The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Sudden onset of horse staggering? - VIDEO

Something is wrong my husband's horse, Tomato. Really wrong. DH brought him out of the pasture today to fit his new horse boots and Tomato had a cut on his coronet on his RH. Had him in the cross ties and got his boots on and I came out to check on them. DH pointed out the cut and that Tomato was non-weight-bearing on his LH. Thought maybe the RH was an abscess, but after walking him out, it is clear that he stepped on himself and gave him the cut. He is walking like a drunken sailor, with haunches to the right - which is odd because his LH is the leg he doesn't want to weigh, so you would think that he wouldn't walk with that leg underneath but with the RH under his body. He can't walk straight and lists to the side.

We've checked him over for cuts, swelling, we've poked and prodded and he doesn't seem to actually be in pain. He's eating with gusto, eyes look soft and clear. DH is uploading a video from his phone that we took so I can see if anyone has any ideas. Can horses have strokes? That's almost what it seems like. He looks like he's about to fall over, but he hasn't (yet).

He was not like this last night or this morning, it came on very suddenly. Any hints on what we should look for?
    Last edited by Pocket Pony; Jul. 18, 2012 at 03:47 PM. Reason: updated title

It sounds like EPM to me. I would suggest making a call to your vet. Jingles!

Here's a video:

http://youtu.be/LXEYyx8zNhs

Thoughts?

Not sure how prevalent EPM is in your area but the video shows a horse that clearly has a neurologic gait. Could be from something like a pinched nerve, kissing spines, EPM, etc...

Do not wait on this one, get a vet out now. I've seen cases that presented like this go downhill faster than you can blink. (The horses I've witnessed did turn out to have EPM.)

My late mare presented like this, although more reluctant to move. Vet gave DMSO and high doses of NSAIDS immediately to try to curb whatever inflammation might exist. When we had no real progress in 24 hours, we tubed with DMSO and a full tube of Marquis for EPM. We continued treating as if it was EPM until the test came back with no exposure.

We dropped the Marquis and made a stab in the dark with high doses of steroids. She recovered 90-95% within two days on the steroids. As a result, the vet said it was likely inflammation causing a pinched nerve, or some sort of tumor or mass impinging on the spinal cord.

She relapsed several times over the subsequent 6 months (only about half as bad as the first time) and was returned to 95% with a single dose of steroids.

She had a year with no relapses until I ultimately lost her this April (a month after her 29th birthday). We don't know if it was related, but it's posssible.

Jingles for your guy.

If not EPM, then C spine fracture? He is badly neurological and should probably be in a clinic environment, on a DMSO drip.

1 members found this post helpful.

If you have not already call the vet out ASAP.

1 members found this post helpful.

Yikes...that's scary. I agree with those who say get the vet pronto...even better if you can get him to a clinic. I, too, would be worried about EPM or C-spine fracture...is he vaccinated for everything? (EEE, WEE, West Nile, rabies?) Any fever? Does he seem mentally appropriate?

Don't wait on this one. The sooner you start treatment, the better. And please be very, very careful around him.

Best wishes for you and Tomato...I hope you can find out what's going on and get him turned around ASAP!

PP I saw your other post and responded there, but I agree with the others that he looks very neuro.

It came on really fast, no? I agree with Simkie, maybe a fracture, did he get stuck or cast somewhere perhaps?

Poor Tomato. Will be jingling for you guys tonight. Please keep us posted.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

vet is on his way out - should be here in 30 minutes or so.

Poor Tomato.

I hope its something that he can pull out of. Jingling like mad for you!
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzywriter View Post
    My saddle fits perfectly well. It might be a little tight around the waist, but I take care of that with those spandex things.

Please keep us updated if you can, PP. Major jingles for Tomato.

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Pony View Post
    vet is on his way out - should be here in 30 minutes or so.
    Keeping fingers crossed. Let us know what the vet says.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Never too early to JINGLE!

Hoping Tomato makes a full recovery - such a handsome guy
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Also, to answer other questions - no fever, temp is normal. Pulse slightly elevated at 52. Respiration harder to gauge, as he's breathing shallowly and then will take a big breath, then snort, etc. Our best guess was around 20.

We also wondered about a fracture or some other type of serious injury, like perhaps he got cast in his stall overnight or something. But DH reports that this morning he walked out normally to get his breakfast. I suppose it is possible that he was running around the pasture and ate shit and hurt himself, but he doesn't have any negative reaction to poking and prodding.

Mentally he seems normal - interested in food, he's grazing right now - and his eyes are normal and alert. He's a bit sweaty, but that isn't unusual for him.

He can hold his head up and/or put it down to eat - no head tilting. He even tried to run around but quickly realized that wasn't possible.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth

*Jingles for your boy*

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    If not EPM, then C spine fracture? He is badly neurological and should probably be in a clinic environment, on a DMSO drip.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Pony View Post
    Also, to answer other questions - no fever, temp is normal. Pulse slightly elevated at 52. Respiration harder to gauge, as he's breathing shallowly and then will take a big breath, then snort, etc. Our best guess was around 20.

We also wondered about a fracture or some other type of serious injury, like perhaps he got cast in his stall overnight or something. But DH reports that this morning he walked out normally to get his breakfast. I suppose it is possible that he was running around the pasture and ate shit and hurt himself, but he doesn't have any negative reaction to poking and prodding.

Mentally he seems normal - interested in food, he's grazing right now - and his eyes are normal and alert. He's a bit sweaty, but that isn't unusual for him.

He can hold his head up and/or put it down to eat - no head tilting. He even tried to run around but quickly realized that wasn't possible.
    Good that the vet made it out. What treatment did he prescribe for Tomato?

How would you trailer a horse like this to get him to a clinic? I would worry about him falling over - especially since in order to get anywhere we have to drive on winding country roads and the vet is a couple counties away.

Honestly just curious - has anyone trailered a horse with such neuro symptoms?

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    Good that the vet made it out. What treatment did he prescribe for Tomato?
    Sorry, that TPR report was from my own baseline readings that I took before calling the vet. Counting the minutes until the vet gets here.