The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default PLEASE HELP: getting from Newark to JFK in <3 h? :(

Hi guys,

My 20 year old daughter is by herself in Cape Town, SA doing an internship. Today she called me to say that she had a fall, shattered her elbow and needs surgery. I'm still weighing my options but I am looking into flights to go and be with her. I found a (relatively) cheap flight in a couple of days that goes from Toronto to Newark (arriving 8:00 AM) and the next leg leaves from JFK at 11:15 AM. Is this remotely doable -- (I am also Canadian so I think I will need to clear customs)? I know, super-weird question, but I didn't know where else to ask!

Thanks -- I'm a sad worried mom who is not thinking clearly tonight....

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

No idea but jingling! You have sure dealt with your share of hardships lately

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes, should be doable. I would hire a car service so they are waiting for you to arrive at EWR.

I think you would have to be some kind of super hero to make that connection. Sorry. I hope you can find a way to get there.

5 members found this post helpful.

Ouch, your poor daughter!

I *think* you can do it. I agree with AliCat—arrange for a car to wait for you at Newark and drive you straight to JFK. It won't be cheap, but it's the only chance you stand. The only problem is that at that time of morning, traffic going toward the city from Jersey might be rough. If I had my own car, I'd gladly drive you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chezzie View Post
    I think you would have to be some kind of super hero to make that connection. Sorry. I hope you can find a way to get there.
    Yeah, I just realized she said she had to do customs again. Could be tough if there is a delay in flight or traffic. But it isn't that bad to get to JFK from EWR if she has a slightly larger window.

With "average" traffic, it should take under an hour. That time of the morning could be rough.

I personally would not do it. You are going to have to deal with flying out of the international terminal at JFK and you need to be at the airport ...what..2-3 hours prior to the flights departure?

I am sure other more traveled CoTHers will chime in, but I would fly into JFK the day before and just have to worry about catching one flight that day.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    Yeah, I just realized she said she had to do customs again. Could be tough. But it isn't that bad to get to JFK from EWR if she has a larger window.
    She should only need to clear customs in Newark, right? I don't think she'll need to go through again at JFK.

ETA: I fly out of one of the international terminals at JFK pretty regularly and security is pretty tame there. That won't be the hitch; it's getting from EWR to JFK that would scare me.

I can get from my parent's house in western/central Jersey (a bit more than 1 hr west of Newark) in a little over 1.5 hours. I'd say it's about that from Newark to Philly without traffic.
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    Yeah, I just realized she said she had to do customs again. Could be tough if there is a delay in flight or traffic. But it isn't that bad to get to JFK from EWR if she has a slightly larger window.

With "average" traffic, it should take under an hour. That time of the morning could be rough.
    I fly in and out of EWR at least once a month, and so many of my flights are delayed. I swear, if a leaf falls off a tree 10 miles from the airport, they start cancelling things. With an international connection, I wouldn't risk it.

3 members found this post helpful.

Not doable. You'll hit Newark at rush hour.

Best case scenario it will take you 45 minutes to get off the plane and clear customs, which will put you in the cab/shuttle at 9AM. You will have about an hour trip (best case) and get to JFK at 10AM. This would be cutting it really close for a domestic flight at 11:15, but for an international to SA? Will never happen.

I would not do it. Since you're going onward to South Africa, have you checked flying out of Baltimore, Boston, Atlanta, Philly or Hartford? Or I agree with the previous suggestion of fly in the day before, stay at an airport hotel for the night (or just camp out) and make your connection then.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

3 members found this post helpful.

She is going to need to clear customs in Newark, and in 2 hours clear it, get a lift to JFK all the while dealing with traffic, THEN has to get to the international terminal, check her bag and make it though security at JFK. I would not do it all in one day. Fly into JFK the day before and spend the night at the Ramada on the airport grounds. Save your piece of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    She should only need to clear customs in Newark, right? I don't think she'll need to go through again at JFK.

You guys are completely awesome. I won't risk it -- I think it would be far too stressful. I will try to find something else.

I wish I could just teleport....

Thank you SO much -- you guys rock.

2 members found this post helpful.

If by any chance you find something out of Harrisburg I'd be happy to put you up for the night (I'm like 50 minutes away) ...if it was at the end of the week I'd even volunteer to drive you from there to Newark (a trip, but right past my hometown/my parent's house, so I wouldn't mind).

Hope you find something that works for you!

5 members found this post helpful.

Can you do the connections through Boston? I used to frequently fly to Europe/Middle East. We would drive down to JFK, then found in later years that going to Boston and taking flights from Boston to Europe was easier. Know you'd have to start in Toronto, but it might be an option. Good luck. Jingling for your daughter!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

OMG, To the MAX -- I'm speechless. How incredibly kind of you to offer.

I have a couple of other options -- a bit more expensive, but not crazily so. I think I will be able to manage it, but thank you -- from the bottom of my heart!

If you need to layover in NYC, I gladly offer my comfy couch, as well.

Hey, no problem! It wasn't too long ago I was in college and if I got hurt I'd want my momma there ASAP! (...heck, I'd still want her to come take care of me if I was injured!)

Honestly, PM me if it's looking like you're going to have to be in the Harrisburg/Newark/anywhere in between area more than a day or so...my work schedule is pretty flexible and I'd be happy to help ya out!

Tha Ridge, To the MAX -- what can I say but thank you. Thank you. .

Thanks, everyone for your advice and good wishes.

If OT day stays open, I will keep you all posted....

If you leave from Toronto or Montreal, you clear US customs in Toronto or Montreal!!! you won't have to clear them in the US again in Newark... only clear immigration/customs before boarding to leave JFK.