The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I can top "definantly" for a misspelling of "definitely." Try "defiantly" on for size, when you can tell they think they are spelling "definitely."
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    Epiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiic.

My favorites are the misuse of quotation marks, so not really the same. I don't have any favorite misspellings at the mo', but want to read others .
    My very favorite was a fish market that had a huge sign advertising "Fresh" Fish.

Another one was a lawyer with billboards for "A Accident Attorney."

1 members found this post helpful.

I belong to a GH board and there was a doozy yesterday - a thread titled "Dr O and Faison: didn't know wheather I should laugh or cry". That place is a goldmine of bad spelling and worse grammar, a true hotbed of English as an afterthought.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

On my Fb feed right now is the "two six drawer dressers and amwar", how long to figure it out . . . but that's not the OP's pet peeve, not quite.

I have to file nonsensical things every once in a while and I am guessing that the person wrote the heading down from a verbal order rather than written because how else could you get Corn Wallace for Cornwallis. That one happens A LOT. There are a few others where I have to stand there, file in hand, and say it to myself and then I can go "oh". Sometimes I have to stand there for a whole minute and say it fast or slow or give it a bit of an accent.

Jeep has made a Cherokee so that one doesn't bother me too much, unless I happen to want a Cherokee and they are really selling the Grand Cherokee.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Two MISSPELLED freeway signs went up here in Louisville this past week.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/23712516/g...igns-corrected

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

I pulled in to a Wendy's once and asked the foreman of the crew installing the new sign if they really were going to proceed with the installation. He asked me why I asked, and I told him to look at the sign they were hoisting up. It took him a minute to realize the sign said "Wedny's" (I had noticed it from several blocks away!)

Now how many people did that sign have to pass through to get from the factory to the restaurant?

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post

Jeep has made a Cherokee so that one doesn't bother me too much, unless I happen to want a Cherokee and they are really selling the Grand Cherokee.
    Well it bothers me, because I'm a Cherokee person, NOT a Grand Cherokee person, so when I'm shopping for fun mods and stuff, and see something listed as a Cherokee part only to find out it's for a Grand Cherokee, it annoys the heck outta me.

Plus, they stopped making them in 2001. So, come on, if you're advertising a 2008 Cherokee, I know you're just an idiot.

It literally says "Grand Cherokee" right on the side of the stinkin' vehicles.

OT but what's the difference between a Cherokee and a Grand Cherokee? I always thought they were the same vehicle, but the Grand was just the upgraded package.

And if we're going to include quotations (my fave, those and the poor abused apostrophe), I got this on the envelope my gas bill came in a while back.

https://scontent-b-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/...04404646_n.jpg

Ummm. So are they being sarcastic or is it not real safety information... or what?

Oh...and cemetary. Lots o' errant signs out there.

OT but what's the difference between a Cherokee and a Grand Cherokee? I always thought they were the same vehicle, but the Grand was just the upgraded package.
    Most assuredly not!

Cherokee, made up until 2001: http://static.cargurus.com/images/si...332393641.jpeg

Grand Cherokee, in it's most recent incarnation:
    http://www.allpar.com/photos/jeep/gr...d-cherokee.jpg
    Older:
    http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/w...d-Cherokee.jpg

To add to the confusion, they JUST "relaunched" the Cherokee this year, which looks like this now, but any true Cherokee lover will tell you it's not even remotely the same vehicle in terms of capabilities:
    http://www.autoweek.com/galleryimage...awk-action.jpg

It's all well and good if you're not a Jeep person to not realize they're different vehicles. But good lord, if you're selling the car you've been driving for five years, I'd hope you know the model name! Do people not actually know what they drive?!?

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    I can forgive a lot when it comes to a private citizen posting whatever--though it can be distracting.

But in published books? Drives me absolutely batty!!! MIL gave me a book for my cross country trip today. It's "Tip and the Gipper" by Chris Matthews. I cannot tell you how many errors I've found and it just drives me nuts. Great book but I've been very distracted by the spelling errors throughout. FWIW, I see a lot of that in the Kindle books I get. Is there some alternate editing universe that Kindle deals in? LOL
    For some older books, they create the Kindle file by running the book through an OCR scanner. (And then apparently don't go through and edit the result.) This easily creates errors when the machine confuses similar looking letters.

Saw a salon advertising NIALS on their sign today.

Ho-made pie. As in, which 'ho made this pie? Which ho's pie is this? How about Home made?

2 members found this post helpful.

I pay medical claims for a living. A college student from an affluent area of MA was traveling abroad. She got sick and filed the claims with my company.
    She had a soar throat and migrane headache and she already payed the bills so she need to be reimbersed. She spelled soar and migrane wrong twice. The forms were handwritten so not just a typing mistake.

I mention the affluent area since that area is supposed to have decent public schools.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    I pay medical claims for a living. A college student from an affluent area of MA was traveling abroad. She got sick and filed the claims with my company.
    She had a soar throat and migrane headache and she already payed the bills so she need to be reimbersed. She spelled soar and migrane wrong twice. The forms were handwritten so not just a typing mistake.

I mention the affluent area since that area is supposed to have decent public schools.
    How did she spell it?

The way SonnysMom spelled it, those are incorrect. Soar is to fly or glide; SORE is probably how the young lady's throat felt.

And while migraine is a hard one to spell, it's still misspelled.

The way SonnysMom spelled it, those are incorrect. Soar is to fly or glide; SORE is probably how the young lady's throat felt.

And while migraine is a hard one to spell, it's still misspelled.
    Oh yes, I know which sore/soar goes where, was just hoping that SonnysMom forgot some quotes, and that's not how SHE thought they were spelled, ragging on some poor college kid for her properly-spelled "sore throat".

"Do people not know what they drive?" Um, my DH has to ask me for make and model info on all our cars. I tell him, he forgets. Now, I may be blessed with good recall for those sorts of things but usually he's the one that swaps out the starter lickety-split, albeit with some cursing. We all have our strengths.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible