The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Why won't there be a presidential election in 2016?

I've read this in several places. Generally in Facebook comments, granted. I just read it last night. Someone wrote "we won't have to worry about the 2016 election – I can't believe people don't see it. Obama will have accomplished his goal by then." Am I being naïve to think that nothing Obama does or can do, no matter how much one loathes him, could eradicate the election process?

I've never heard this kind of fear mongering before, with any other president of either party. Is Obama that different, or is it just that I have access to opinions through social media that I've never had before?
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

2 members found this post helpful.

Ohferchrissake >giant eye-roll<

There is a reason our government is set up the way it is.

No, Obama will not and cannot overthrow the government and the election process and make himself President For Life.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at such narrow minded fear mongering. The "Teabahn" is doing a bang-up job though.

(and I don't like the new eye-rolly icon - not nearly snarky enough!)

52 members found this post helpful.

The only things I know about this, I've also heard from unofficial, social media opinions, so take it with a grain of salt. But I've heard lots of "talk" about Obama trying to fight the 2-term limit, and stay in office indefinitely. True or false, could that be what your friends are referring to?

I scampered over to the dark, dim realms of Fox News and even THEY didn't have anything about this issue.

So that's how you know it's REALLY ridiculous!

34 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    The only things I know about this, I've also heard from unofficial, social media opinions, so take it with a grain of salt. But I've heard lots of "talk" about Obama trying to fight the 2-term limit, and stay in office indefinitely. True or false, could that be what your friends are referring to?
    The whole story is on snopes. More fear mongering by the far right (not to include normal, reasonable repubs). I would guess as any misinformation is good information....

27 members found this post helpful.

Obama looks so exhausted and sick of dealing with the job of being President that I don't think he's going to stay a minute longer than he has to... let alone how his wife and daughters probably feel about it.

He's a human bean and he's been through the wringer. I think he's going to be ready and willing to pass the baton to the next person voted in.

34 members found this post helpful.

I know that there was a bill introduced at the beginning of this year ( and back in 2011) to eliminate the term limits but it did not gain any traction. Crap like this has been introduced multiple times over the years and never gained any sort of momentum.

http://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th/...-resolution/15

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmedHope View Post
    I know that there was a bill introduced at the beginning of this year ( and back in 2011) to eliminate the term limits but it did not gain any traction. Crap like this has been introduced multiple times over the years and never gained any sort of momentum.

http://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th/...-resolution/15
    It was more likely to try and bring Bill Clinton back--or maybe GWB. But we do have Jeb Bush waiting in the wings if the GOP regains a semblance of a brain.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Presidential term limits are a beautiful thing...

...but I sure would love to have Bill back!
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

27 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post

He's a human bean and he's been through the wringer.
    Refried Obama!
    Proud to have two Gold Prince POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

29 members found this post helpful.

I don't think "we won't have to worry about the 2016 election" means anything CLOSE to "There will not be a 2016 election".

I think it means (depending on which side you are on) "The other side will have shot their whole foot off, and the election will be a landslide".
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

13 members found this post helpful.

Firstly: I doubt Obama would want to be president forever, at this rate.

Secondly: The exact same scenario that we just went through happened 17 years ago when Clinton was in office. He didn't become a dictator, and neither will Obama.

My guess is that Obama will be perfectly fine stepping down. He looks tired. I don't blame him, being a president must be extra ordinarily exhausting and difficult.
    You're trying to do something normal people wouldn't do because they're terrified they might fail. -Boyd Martin

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    It was more likely to try and bring Bill Clinton back--or maybe GWB. But we do have Jeb Bush waiting in the wings if the GOP regains a semblance of a brain.
    His own mother said we've had enough Bush's in the White House. Got to love Barbara Bush. She says what others think.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

24 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabon2004 View Post
    My guess is that Obama will be perfectly fine stepping down. He looks tired. I don't blame him, being a president must be extra ordinarily exhausting and difficult.
    It's kind of amazing to watch how fast presidents age. Clinton, Bush, Obama - they really seem to age faster than normal people, I cannot even begin to imagine how stressful the job is, or why any sane person would want it.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

20 members found this post helpful.

I opened this thread prepared for the worst and am completely shocked to find a totally reasonable discussion.

The end must be nigh...
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

25 members found this post helpful.

JoZ is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    I don't think "we won't have to worry about the 2016 election" means anything CLOSE to "There will not be a 2016 election".

I think it means (depending on which side you are on) "The other side will have shot their whole foot off, and the election will be a landslide".
    Sorry if I wasn't clear Janet. I've read this enough times that I know exactly what it means. These people were saying there will be no 2016 election. I don't know if that means that the rapture will have come, or the country will have descended into total anarchy, or that Obama will be Pres. for life. But it absolutely doesn't mean that the outcome is a foregone conclusion. It means NO ELECTION.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

1 members found this post helpful.

Poor dude can barely get bills passed and government keeps shutting down on him, yet fringe psychos think he has the power to abolish term limits and become Dictator-for-Life. US politics are hilarious (if you're not USAian, I guess).
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

37 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkerbruin View Post
    Presidential term limits are a beautiful thing...

...but I sure would love to have Bill back!
    If, but only if, you got Newt back with him!!!

This president has shown a significant lack of respect for Constitutional limits on his authority. He has threatened to, by Exectutive Order, permit the Treasury Department to borrow funds after the debt ceiling has been reached. He has "picked and choosen" the laws that he will enforce. He has ordered the execution of American citizens he has deemed to be threats to national security without any semblence of due process. He has fully approved the NSA surveillance programs so much in the news. He has personally ordered the summary execution of more persons than any sitting president, ever. So if somebody says, "gee, I wonder if he'll try a Seven Days in May style coup?" it's not a totally insane query.

Us Strict Constructionists had best keep an eye on things.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

14 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    Sorry if I wasn't clear Janet. I've read this enough times that I know exactly what it means. These people were saying there will be no 2016 election. I don't know if that means that the rapture will have come, or the country will have descended into total anarchy, or that Obama will be Pres. for life. But it absolutely doesn't mean that the outcome is a foregone conclusion. It means NO ELECTION.
    OK,

I have to admit I have NEVER heard anyone suggest that.
    Sounds like total BS.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    Well since it is not based on fact there is no point in discussing or worrying about it.

13 members found this post helpful.