The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default A Thoroughbred spotting in the Medal Finals!

That's right--there was a horse with a lip tattoo showing at Harrisburg in the Medal Finals!

Check it out... http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...sea-warmbloods

9 members found this post helpful.

Very cool to see an OTTB out there. Lovely horse. They were a bit quick, but I can see them doing well in the future. Here's her round:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p57lrQFIGZk
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

2 members found this post helpful.

Great story. He must be a lovely mover to have pinned 4th in the under saddle in the pre greens at Penn. He looks like the classic TB that once dominated the landscape.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

2 members found this post helpful.

Hah! This article made me remember that Charge A Count, the dominating equitation horse from the 80s, was a TB

3 members found this post helpful.

I watched both of their videos and I am scratching my head as to why he was highlighted. I mean yes it's nice that there's a Tb in the Finals, but his rounds weren't competitive. So if there was a non competitive QH also would you highlight it just because it isn't a warmblood?

Additionally she did indeed use a pelham in class 48c, so seems kind of out of place to highlight he went in a D ring, when in point of fact he didn't in every class at the show. Don't get me wrong... I am a huge fan of what a TB can do and believe that a slight resurgence is happening, but highlighting a horse JUST because it's different when it's not having great rounds seems to do more to damage the TB reputation than help it.

JMO

~Emily

Videos in case anyone else wants to see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p57lrQFIGZk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0TvAyAKcYw
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

9 members found this post helpful.

The round wasn't the best, but I would blame the majority of it on the rider. It was her first finals and it showed...which then showed in the horse.

I think it's fine to highlight "different" especially when people believe "different" can't even qualify.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

12 members found this post helpful.

I really don't understand the need to be a jerk about it.

It is a huge accomplishment to even get in that arena and get the opportunity to DO a trip in the first place.

As for the 48c round, I like how she fixed the mistake she had at the first oxer out of the short turn by improving her ride to the natural oxer -and I like that the horse didn't hold it against her and stayed game for her.

To come back from a weak oxer in such a high pressure situation and find your stones and finish strong is impressive. To have a horse that doesn't hold a grudge is monumentally helpful, and she has the next couple Finals to polish it up some more. And also the type of gumption that a trainer can actually do something with in the meantime.

29 members found this post helpful.

I disagree. I think that horse does deserve attention. What a sweetie. She didn't have a winning round, but that wasn't the point of the story. The horse did a great job and she should be proud to own and show him. I would be.

10 members found this post helpful.

In November at Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival we give a special award to the leading OTTB at the show, big perpetual trophy and $100 cash prize to the owner sponsored by the TIP ( a super program). It's a great thing that these horses find new jobs and I think anything done to recognize what they can achieve after the track is a great thing. Back in the 80's they were mostly TB's, not just Charge Account!
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 14-16, 2014

7 members found this post helpful.

Can you do better xctrygirl? I think it was a great first (indoors) experience for that young girl, its not always about where you placed. And is COTH supposed to check the horse's entire show history to see what bit he uses each time? The rider is inexperienced and that showed, but we all have to start somewhere and I thought she did a good job.

I am glad to see COTH is helping to promote TBs with some of their recent articles, a good horse is a good horse regardless of its breed but its nice to see that the TBs are making news.

15 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Xctrygirl View Post
    So if there was a non competitive QH also would you highlight it just because it isn't a warmblood?
    You bet I would! I own an Appendix, and I would be proud as punch! And I wouldn't be so quick to label these horses "non-competitive." We know that realistically, only some of the horse-rider combinations have a chance at the ribbons at these top eq combinations, but with more resources, experience, and training, probably more of them would.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

3 members found this post helpful.

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

I agree with those who said that this is a great story to feature. As for the quality of her rounds - for someone who doesn't have a BNT program backing them, is riding a hot little horse that likely didn't jump around the 1.40s in Europe before assuming its new role in the equitation ring and someone who has never done this before, getting around the course without any stops is something to be majorly proud about.

That goes for both horse and rider. That horse is a champ to step into that big ring and cart his relatively inexperienced rider around, no matter the distances she was finding.

24 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Xctrygirl View Post
    I mean yes it's nice that there's a Tb in the Finals, but his rounds weren't competitive. So if there was a non competitive QH also would you highlight it just because it isn't a warmblood?
    How short-sighted and overly critical to call any horse competing at Harrisburg "non-competitive."

16 members found this post helpful.

If I qualified to ride at Harrisburg and had to do it on a donkey and fell off at the first fence, I still think I'd walk out of the ring with a giant stupid grin on my face. Quite an accomplishment to be there at all, let alone qualifying on a so-called "non-competitive" horse AND getting around on what some posters are saying was an extremely difficult first round course.

And having never competed at Harrisburg, I don't think I would be qualified to determine what is and is not "competitive" there.

15 members found this post helpful.

Any horse willing to play ball in that ring is a winner, if you ask me.
    "I am literally a pillar in my community"

17 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CaitlinandTheBay View Post
    Any horse willing to play ball in that ring is a winner, if you ask me.
    Agreed. And now, having watched the videos, I completely agree with those who said that the issues were rider error.

I'm not going to lambast the kid, but it is a testament to the "try" that Thoroughbreds have that he carted her around both of those courses and kept going. I personally find that to be a Thoroughbred trait for certain...

5 members found this post helpful.

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Agreed. And now, having watched the videos, I completely agree with those who said that the issues were rider error.

I'm not going to lambast the kid, but it is a testament to the "try" that Thoroughbreds have that he carted her around both of those courses and kept going. I personally find that to be a Thoroughbred trait for certain...
    Yes, definitely. How many warmblood$ did we watch last weekend that clearly had scope to spare, but didn't give their poor riders an inch at 3'6? I can think of at least a few that could have tried much harder than they did for their riders.

6 members found this post helpful.

I agree with those that give the pair a big thumbs up. I think they were lovely. Perfect? No. But to me, lovely none the less. It's not always easy to "buck the trend" and this trend being a big WB, especially at 16 years of age. Heck, I would have been so nervous and would probably make any horse look less then spectacular at a show like this. I loved how in the article it said she just loves horses and horsemanship, not just the ride. Good for her. You can tell she treated the horse well, with nice pats after a job well done.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    How short-sighted and overly critical to call any horse competing at Harrisburg "non-competitive."
    I don't think she's saying the horse is non-competitive in general, but those rounds certainly weren't. I'm in agreement with Darkwave here. Why highlight something that didn't go so well? I'm a TB fan, and have had PLENTY of my own, but those with the opinion that they can't compete will only be reinforced by that performance.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickelodian View Post
    I don't think she's saying the horse is non-competitive in general, but those rounds certainly weren't. I'm in agreement with Darkwave here. Why highlight something that didn't go so well? I'm a TB fan, and have had PLENTY of my own, but those with the opinion that they can't compete will only be reinforced by that performance.
    Because it's a cute story? Why not? Plus, the point I made, and others, is that the rounds didn't go well due to NO fault of the horse's. The last few warmbloods I've shown would've quit after the second jump with a ride like that. The last Thoroughbred I owned would've been like this horse: taken the bit and said "C'mon, kid, we're going!"

I think that, along with the trainer's obvious adoration for her neat horse, is the story here.

14 members found this post helpful.