The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How many adults have stuffed animals on their beds?

I'm sure I'm not the only adult, heck, senior citizen for that matter, that has a stuffed animal on their bed. So how about it COTHers, come clean please.

Quite a few yrs ago, I was in our local feed store/tack shop area and I pointed out a stuffed horse to a friend that worked there that I thought had similar coloration to a horse that I had. The horse was a grulla, but not the mousy grey coloration but looking like a really dark dappled buckskin. He was almost golden at times. Much as I liked it, I wasn't about to pay $45.00 for it.

Anyway, not too much longer after that, I had an OB-GYN appointment and he found a lump. I had a lumpectomy and fortunately everything was OK. So the day after the surgery, my friend and another one came over and gave me a get well card and a package. In the package was the stuffed horse.

So, the stuffed horse has been on the bed ever since. Six yrs ago I buried the real horse, Chocolate, but I have my Chocolate that sleeps with me every night.

Mind you this isn't the ONLY stuffed animal I have but my favorite.

I also have 2 tigers. One that is only about 4" high and about 12" long and the other was one I found at BJ's that is about 4' long and 18" or more high. The smaller one sits on my dresser. The large one was an impulse buy and I didn't know what to do with it so I put it over the back of a chair in the LR.

Why a tiger? My current horse's name is Tiger Bay!
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

1 members found this post helpful.

-raises hand- (of course, one of them is a stuffed lacto bacillus...)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

I don't now, because my BC mix chewed them all up when she was a puppy, but I had some until I was 49. Now, I have her in my bed instead.

My father had a stuffed collie on his bed in his mid '70s...it was my stuffed animal, he liked it so he decided it was his and kept it on his bed. If anyone moved it, he'd say "Who took my dog?!?". And, no, he wasn't senile, he was still working full-time as a high powered corporate lawyer.

Forget the bed, I have them all over the house! Including one special stuffed bear that has his OWN bed (an American Girl doll bed..) in the bedroom. Dh thinks I'm insane, but as it prevents me from adopting ALL the real animals (which he's allergic to), he doesn't complain. And I wash them regularly to get rid of dust.

I do he doubles as a pillow sometimes (I move around a lot at night) Its a Gund bear that I've had for years.

msj, that's a sweet story!

They aren't on my bed, but in my bedroom I have:

1 - a build-a-bear teddy bear from a trip to the mall with my daughter 4 years ago when we both built our own bears
    2 - an Eeyore and Piglet that were given to me on Mother's Day several years ago
    3 - a stuffed buzzard my then-boss gave me for my 40th birthday
    Alis volat propriis.

I didn't for quite awhile (though I did give my mom a stuffed gall bladder for Christmas last year in honor of gall bladder surgery). But, while laid up, my mom has been helping my purge and organize my house. In that process, we found my childhood favorite bunny, Petehopper, as well as a little stuffed black horse that someone gave me when I got my really little black horse, Toby. They both sit on my bed now.

I love stuffed animals... I only have one I sleep with, a buffalo, but I probably have a dozen sitting on the closet shelf (lined up of course).

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

DH is a football fanatic. He and friend have had season tickets for the Houston Texans since opening season, and he has the framed panoramic from the very first game played, complete with his ticket and parking pass. It's football 24/7 around here during the NFL season. Consequently, when my mom stumbled across a Toro pillow pet, she couldn't resist. That's pushing it even for him, but I keep returning it to the bed to continue the joke. He always throws it in the corner.
    Jer 29: 11-13

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Tanooki! He's a raccoon.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I had a giant Squishable unicorn on the bed, but it kept rolling into my DH's face so he threw it across the room. I found a new home for DH... no wait, the unicorn.

ETA: Do dog toys count? My dog will go get his stuffed fox if it isn't on the bed.
    You are what you dare.

I do! I have a black and white pinto medium sized stuffed horse.
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

I have one, a Stitch from Lilo&Stitch. A group of my friends got them way back when the movie came out, and we all still have our Stitches.

I mostly use it to raise my head up when reading in bed
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

I have a stuffed Corsican sheep OVER my bed, as in on my wall. His name is Bart. Henry the caribou is in the dining room.
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

I still have a few of my childhood stuffed animals, but not on the bed.

I will admit to buying the Lonesome Glory Breyer horse model for myself -- after the age of 30. I still think Breyers are gorgeous.
    "Business!” cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. “Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business.”

I have a lot of stuffed animals. Not on my bed. I think my DH would draw the line there. But I do still have a ton. Some from childhood, so newer. Cute is cute at any age! Recently went to the zoo with my mom (she's 70, I'm 46) and we BOTH bought a small stuffed elephant. Funny now that I think of it.

And I still have every Breyer I've even bought/been gifted. Those are keepsakes.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by charismaryllis View Post
    -raises hand- (of course, one of them is a stuffed lacto bacillus...)

I used to have a pony...but him being in his 5th decade now, I have retired him. Snoopy shared the bed for a while, until the real dog moved in...she ate stuffed animals.
    Now, with her gone...I have narrowed it down to a big beany (ty) Giraffe...
    A couple of his giraffe friends sit on the nightstand, next to Volter, the Vulture i got this summer at DeSoto State Park...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

I had a stuffed pony that my boyfriend (now hubby) made for me all throughout college. But then our dog eviscerated it, so it is no more. I think she was jealous...

So now instead of stuffed animals I have real animals...two giant, giant dogs that I'm sure one day will slowly crush me to death in their quest to be as.close.to.me.as.possible.
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

I have a bunch of stuffed animals, but only a few in my room. All the others are packed away in a box in storage in case I have kids one day. (And because I can't get rid of them. Too sad.)

I have a build a bear turtle that I made a few years ago with my ex. I also have two teddy bears that were given to me by my ex. We just broke up like a week ago, so I'm undecided as to whether they should be kept in my room or not.

And I also have a shelter pup that was made after I had to put my boy to sleep. It used to sleep on my bed with me, but then I got a new puppy and she chews everything. So now Kona sits on my dresser.
    http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8eec8489.jpg
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Not on the bed, but I have stuffed large cats all around the floor along the bookcases (my bedroom is also the library). Once in a while, one of the live cats will decide to have a few rounds with a tiger or lynx or something. Not chewing/destroying, but wrestling, growling, etc., like they would another cat. It's hilarious. I even had a series of pictures I posted a few years ago on a cat group titled "Epic Battle Between Housecat and Jaguar!" A few folks replying said they were afraid to open them at first, imagining something quite different than the content provided.

I also have a stuffed horse on the piano, two stuffed beagles that belonged to my grandma, and a stuffed collie with the fur singed off (house fire, 1975) that Mom's first boyfriend gave her back decades and decades ago.