The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation Orphan Asks For Someone, Anyone To Adopt Him

With luck, maybe someone will step up and offer this child a home:

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2013/...nyone-adopt-h/
    Horse & Dog Designs: Clothing, Pendants, Water Bottles, Totes, Phone Cases, ETC:
    WoofNWhinny*
    NEW: Schnauzers, Boxers, Western, & Polo Ponies

Horsey Humor, Ponies, Barn Safety & More.

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow that breaks my heart. I hope this kid finds a fantastic, loving, supportive home STAT. Everybody deserves at least that.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Oh, if he was in Massachusetts I'd be calling.

2 members found this post helpful.

How brave. This young man has earned his big break. I hope theres a family for him. Holy crap. Hes breakin my heart.

6 members found this post helpful.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

I know 50 year olds that can't let go of things and plot a course for the life they want, much less a 15 year old. My heart goes out to this brave young man

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SarEQ View Post
    Oh, if he was in Massachusetts I'd be calling.
    SarEQ, I'm sure he'd be thrilled to move to Massachusetts.

It's so sad that he missed the opportunity to connect with his birth mother by less than a month, but, perhaps the silver lining is that he seems more motivated now to pull his act together.

May he find a wonderful, loving home soon!
    Horse & Dog Designs: Clothing, Pendants, Water Bottles, Totes, Phone Cases, ETC:
    WoofNWhinny*
    NEW: Schnauzers, Boxers, Western, & Polo Ponies

Horsey Humor, Ponies, Barn Safety & More.

I made a concious decision MANY years ago not to have children. When I read heartbreaking stories like this, I can not understand why more women don't do the same. Yes, I'm oversimplifyiing things, but it did seem simple to me
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

14 members found this post helpful.

His story is so heart wrenching. I had a victim once at a house for unwanted kids. There were 7 or 8 kids who were living there, all unwanted by their parents and all abused. The social worker for my victim had really gotten involved with his care. After the jury convicted the ******* ******* who had beaten and tortured "my" victim, broken arm, burn marks all over his body, etc., his social worker and I bought the boy a bicycle for Christmas. I then made it my mission to have some of my privileged white male dopers volunteer at that home, and give thousands of dollars to it. The home got a new furnace from one of the stockbrokers who had mistakenly offered a free snort of coke to a narc standing in line behind him at an event!

There are many, many, kids without homes who go through the foster system. And there are many, many people who take in foster kids, not because they want to help them, but because my state pays good money to people who keep kids. And those kids often are forced to do a lot of work and don't get sufficient care, and some are abused. I learned all that from the social worker who really cared about kids. I cannot even count the # of times i took children victims out to lunch or to the mall, on my dime, who had never been out to a mall or out to eat.

Donating to the home where the boy is staying now will improve his quality of life.

10 members found this post helpful.

No matter what, this young man is destined for greatness.
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

4 members found this post helpful.

SarEQ, out of state adoptions are done all the time. You don't even have to pay for the vet check or shipping! Plus, given his age, ethnicity, and past behavioral issues, he is eligible for a federal adoption subsidy of about $500/month plus Medicaid. Also, he would be eligible for aid to go to college since he is older. His adoptive family would also be eligible for an adoption tax credit.

14 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    I made a concious decision MANY years ago not to have children. When I read heartbreaking stories like this, I can not understand why more women don't do the same. Yes, I'm oversimplifyiing things, but it did seem simple to me
    Me too. Too many people buckle under pressure from society, the media, their own parents, what have you. There are a lot more things to say "no" to than just drugs, and it is a complete sentence by itself. Way too many people out there have kids for other reasons other than that they WANT them.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    His story is so heart wrenching. I had a victim once at a house for unwanted kids. There were 7 or 8 kids who were living there, all unwanted by their parents and all abused. The social worker for my victim had really gotten involved with his care. After the jury convicted the ******* ******* who had beaten and tortured "my" victim, broken arm, burn marks all over his body, etc., his social worker and I bought the boy a bicycle for Christmas. I then made it my mission to have some of my privileged white male dopers volunteer at that home, and give thousands of dollars to it. The home got a new furnace from one of the stockbrokers who had mistakenly offered a free snort of coke to a narc standing in line behind him at an event!

There are many, many, kids without homes who go through the foster system. And there are many, many people who take in foster kids, not because they want to help them, but because my state pays good money to people who keep kids. And those kids often are forced to do a lot of work and don't get sufficient care, and some are abused. I learned all that from the social worker who really cared about kids. I cannot even count the # of times i took children victims out to lunch or to the mall, on my dime, who had never been out to a mall or out to eat.

Donating to the home where the boy is staying now will improve his quality of life.

Good post cloudyandcallie. Thank you for all you have done to help.
    I saw this story on FB, just heartbreaking. I hope this young man finds the loving family he deserves.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post

I don't know about Florida, but I don't know many foster parents in my state that do it strictly for the money. Sure there are some, but most do it because they do like the kids and want to help or they are looking to adopt and fostering is the best way to get an adoptive child. The foster kids are expected to do the normal chores around the house just like any other kid would be expected to do. The only foster parent I know that made his kids work was a therapeutic foster parent who specialized in teen boys with behavior problems. He had a big cattle farm in a fairly rural area and the boys worked on the farm just like most farm kids do. So if one of them acted up at school and got suspended, they had to spend those suspension days fixing fence or cutting weeds or some other type of labor. Most of them figured out that it was better to behave at school. He also taught them how to hunt and fish and took a couple of them on elk hunting trips out west and deep sea fishing. I don't think he treated them any differently than he did his own kids. I know there are bad foster parents and some that are in it strictly for the money but ime, those get weeded out around here.

I do hope this kid gets a home and I do hope that he does get his life turned around.

I would also encourage people to look into becoming foster parents or CASAs. You can really make a difference in the life of a child.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wireweiners View Post
    SarEQ, out of state adoptions are done all the time. You don't even have to pay for the vet check or shipping! Plus, given his age, ethnicity, and past behavioral issues, he is eligible for a federal adoption subsidy of about $500/month plus Medicaid. Also, he would be eligible for aid to go to college since he is older. His adoptive family would also be eligible for an adoption tax credit.
    I showed the video to dh last night. He pointed out that while we plan to adopt in te future we don't currently have a home study completed, we don't have many spare funds, and that this boy would benefit from a more stable family (dh is a resident and rarely home, new baby comes in February, we move in another two years), and I also think we're too young. I believe they prefer teens are adopted by people at least thirty, but I sent a message to a friend to confirm.

This boy makes me so sad. I know there are many other children like this out there and I hope we can help one in the future.

I wish I could help him. Sure hope that he lands softly.
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

He is on the right track. God bless him.

Just an FYI, for folks who may be thinking about adopting from CPS, they don't cost you anything except maybe the cost of a physical and you don't have to have a lot of money. You do have to be financially stable but you don't have to be rich and you don't have to have a fancy, big house. You don't have to be married, you can be gay, and you can adopt a kid who doesn't look like you. Plus in a lot of cases, we'll even help pay for the kid's upkeep until he's 18. If you adopt a kid over 16, they even qualify for help with college expenses.

Right now, we have a darling 14 yo girl that I would take in a heartbeat if I had the room. Poor thing was being pimped out at the local truck stop by her parents. Plus, they were "home schooling" her so she has had no education. She should be in 8th grade and is working on a 1st or 2nd grade level. The sad thing is she's a smart kid. She's working hard to make up for her lack of education and the house parent's at her group home say she's a great kid. We are working to place her with family in California. I hope that works out because she deserves a lot better than what she's had.

Thumbs up

As an adoptive mom, this absolutely breaks my heart. Hopefully someone will see the promise and determination in this kid and be fortunate enough to call him son.
    Let us ride together; blowing mane and hair; careless of the weather; miles ahead of care...Fat Cat Farm Sport Horses

Quote Originally Posted by FatCatFarm View Post
    As an adoptive mom, this absolutely breaks my heart. Hopefully someone will see the promise and determination in this kid and be fortunate enough to call him son.
    (hugs) for you! I'm an adoptee, and it's tough when I hear people say they wouldn't want to raise someone else's baby. Those folks I can't get to understand that by adopting, it makes the child YOURS now. I never felt like I wasn't my parents' REAL child. In fact, as I think I have posted before, it really makes me angry when someone asks me if I ever met my real parents. I always answer, "yes, I was raised by them".

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by gabby.gator View Post
    it really makes me angry when someone asks me if I ever met my real parents. I always answer, "yes, I was raised by them".
    Good for you! My daughter may not have been born of my body, but she was of my heart. <3
    Let us ride together; blowing mane and hair; careless of the weather; miles ahead of care...Fat Cat Farm Sport Horses

4 members found this post helpful.