The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default "Final Straw," from Craigslist

Parenting 101, from Craigslist:

well final straw this morning.
    my daughter wanted to get a horse and then she started to lie to me and not water him. so today he needs to leave.

bring a trailer and cash

he rides bareback and saddled.

hes nice with kids and dogs. very lovable

comes with a few things.

i just want my money back that i waisted on getting him for her

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/grd/4132562855.html

(I know nothing about the horse or the person posting.)

Good for the parent! He's cute.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

A horse is not a car. I don't say good for the parent.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

4 members found this post helpful.

At least he appears to be well taken care of, unlike many CL ads we see!
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Good for the parent! He's cute.
    I agree. Kid wanted a horse they bought it for the kid the kid is now not being responsible for the horse so time to find the horse a new home.
    Better that than the horse suffering (no water is a big deal, right?).

10 members found this post helpful.

I agree. And he is really cute.

I have recurring nightmares (not so much anymore now that I have a horse again) in which I one day realize that I do have a horse. And have forgotten to feed him or water him. For quite a while. Horrible dreams.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post

I have recurring nightmares (not so much anymore now that I have a horse again) in which I one day realize that I do have a horse. And have forgotten to feed him or water him. For quite a while. Horrible dreams.
    I have done the same thing. I will dream that I haven't been by a barn I was leasing for days and the horses had no water. And I haven't leased a barn in 8 years.

Glad the mom isn't taking care of the horse for the daughter and teaching her that you can shirk responsibilities, lie, abuse an animal and continue to have the luxury of keeping the animal.

You too??? I had a recurring dream where I had a pretty horse and an ugly horse. And forgot I owned the ugly horse.
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

1 members found this post helpful.

I have dreams I have a baby that I forget about for months. Then I panic and find it and its still ok.

Anyway, horse related - at least the parent is following through with holding the kid accountable or else the horse goes.

3 members found this post helpful.

There are better ways at parenting then selling a horse to the first person who comes along with $800. No one knows how old the daughter even is. The horse looks happy and healthy where he is and while no one would condone not taking proper care of an animal ,dumping him like this really make me question the mother, although maybe she is making a point and not really selling him..but I'm not on any bandwagon for her being mother of the year.
    "All life is precious"
    Sophie Scholl

2 members found this post helpful.

I see both sides of this - if the parent doesn't sell the horse, the parent knows nothing about horses, winter comes, daughter doesn't do right by horse, horse suffers....not okay for horse to suffer.

HOWEVER - daughter should be taught a lesson in commitment by being made to follow through with her obligation to her horse.

Reality is that this is likely not the first thing this parent has allowed/purchased for the kid just because the kid really, really, really wanted it. And it probably won't be the last. My imagination runs away with me thinking of all the kittens and puppies, guinea pigs and rabbits, etc. that may have been a part of this revolving door of "I want..." I mean what parent in their right mind just says "yes" to a freaking horse?? ALL of the parents I know (many who are well equipped to afford a horse and have a pretty responsible kid) are not lining up to buy a horse unless the kid has been at a lesson barn or in a program and has "graduated" to ownership.

Maybe a COTHer in the area will swoop in and get Milo and there will be a happy ending to this story.

I'd like to know how old the child is before I pass judgement but I'm really inclined to agree that the Mother is doing the right thing.

I was a very bored, and therefore a very medicore student in high school. Being preceeded by a brother with straight A's didn't help either.

My sophomore year my family tried to bribe me saying they'd get me a horse if I got on the honor role. I didn't have a lot of faith because I didn't even try. Thoughts of my getting into college prompted this action by the family.

My junior year they said they would get me the horse BUT, in order to keep said horse, I had to get and stay on the honor role.

Not a problem with motivation this time! I discovered I had no problem getting on the honor role, into college and when I graduated from college, I had the highest GPA in the entire school that year.

Back to the craigslist ad-I hope the horse finds a good home and the child does learn a lesson.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

I agree with selling the horse. Selling properly - writing an ad that looks like more than 10 seconds was spent on it, getting a good photo, actually making an effort to do right by the animal and find a good home.

Dumping the horse like this kinda gives me an idea of where daughter learned to be irresponsible.

I suspect Mom has been taking care of horse. And has had it. good for her!!1
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I had a fish aquarium from the time I was in 3rd grade until I graduated high school. I had the same recurring nightmare about forgetting to feed the fish!

Milo is the name of the town, south of Des Moines. but it's a good name for a horse actually -like Milo from the Phantom Tollbooth. That pic is really pretty bad, so's the ad. I sort of do get that revolving door feeling with the ad - when DD "forgets" we tell her she can do without liquids or food for the rest of the evening and see how she likes it -getting rid of the animal doesn't teach a thing except perhaps that you can be irresponsible about something you don't want to do and they'll take it away and you won't have to do it anymore. I don't think so.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    Milo is the name of the town, south of Des Moines. but it's a good name for a horse actually -like Milo from the Phantom Tollbooth. That pic is really pretty bad, so's the ad. I sort of do get that revolving door feeling with the ad - when DD "forgets" we tell her she can do without liquids or food for the rest of the evening and see how she likes it -getting rid of the animal doesn't teach a thing except perhaps that you can be irresponsible about something you don't want to do and they'll take it away and you won't have to do it anymore. I don't think so.
    I am not a mother, but I am inclined to agree with you. I've known people who go get one pet after another, and then get rid of them when their child doesn't take care of them. Personally, I think that in many cases the kids feel like it is a win-win. They get to enjoy new pets while they are still a novelty, without doing the day-to-day chores to maintain them properly.
    When I was growing up, my mother was not an animal person. I had pets and I was expected to take care of them, but I had supervision. I can't thank her enough for that as I think that it taught me to be responsible for animals in my care.
    I can understand selling a horse if the daughter has truly decided that she no longer wants to be involved with horses, but I think she should have to take care of that horse until he can be sold into a good home rather than a haphazard listing on craigslist. This makes it sound like this woman will sell the horse to the first person that arrives with cash in hand rather than trying to find the right buyer for this horse. JMHO.

When I was in third grade my mother sent me out to water the horses; I lied and told her I had; thankfully she was intelligent enough to check behind me. It was just before Halloween and I was not allowed to trick or treat or go to the community carnival........you can bet your last dollar I never neglected my horse responsibilities after that.

I make my daughter do but I always check behind her. She is very diligent but she is also a teenager. I am not sure haphazardly selling the horse is the best answer as it is a little unfair to the non-offending horse. We don't know the circumstances of this case but I have seen non-horse parents which buy a horse and then expect their child to properly take care of it. There is a reason teenagers should not be having babies (of any kind!)

Quote Originally Posted by spacytracy View Post
    I have dreams I have a baby that I forget about for months. Then I panic and find it and its still ok.

Anyway, horse related - at least the parent is following through with holding the kid accountable or else the horse goes.
    I have both dreams, about forgetting to care for the horse, and forgetting to feed a baby (one dream I forgot it n a semi truck and it drove off with it....so strange_ they're very stressful dreams.