The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Nope, no Barilla Pasta...

Some people should just keep their mouths shut instead of digging and digging...
    http://www.nbcnews.com/business/bari...all-8C11269315

Nope, I am not gay, not do I plan to be.
    However, statements like this show that this gentleman has to pull his head out of this dark and scary place and enter the new century:
    Barilla issued a statement on Thursday apologizing, explaining that he was trying to say "simply that the woman plays a central role in a family."
    The original quoted statement I am still trying to locate implied as much as that the woman was only good to cook their perfect pasta.
    Way to go! Homophobic and sexist!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

10 members found this post helpful.

He's perfectly within his rights.
    Quarry Rat

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosey_2003 View Post
    Sure, but he should not then backpedal when he realizes that people will take their money elsewhere.

Here in my very liberal, very pro-gay-rights area of MA, all the local grocery stores have Barilla products on sale, and they are just. not. moving.

I find it highly entertaining when people tank their businesses.

18 members found this post helpful.

I don't have to make an effort to boycott Barilla pasta, as I don't like it much. I like DeCecco better . But, if I did buy Barilla I'd stop...if it has to be cooked by a woman that wouldn't work here, as the men and boys here have been known to do that most feminine cooking task of boiling dried pasta too.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosey_2003 View Post
    Of course. And people are within their rights to not buy pasta sold by someone who seems to be a homophobe.

36 members found this post helpful.

These company CEOs and owners have every right to their opinion, but that means I have every right to spend my money elsewhere. I will not buy from many companies for a variety of reasons and when I heard the original comment Barilla went right on that list. Chick Fil-a is there also, and Abercrombie/Hollister (not that I bought from them anyway to begin with.)

19 members found this post helpful.

I seriously don't understand what the fuss is about. If the guy is Catholic (which I am guessing he is, but I might be wrong), then yes, it would stand to reason that his beliefs lean toward the more traditional and that women DO play a fundamental role in the family, which is why Mary is such an integral part of Catholicism. Don't buy his pasta. End of story.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

8 members found this post helpful.

For the life of me I cannot understand businesspeople like this who broadcast their wildly controversial political/social views. STUPID.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

15 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I always buy store brand pasta. It's cheaper and cooks the same.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor1 View Post
    For the life of me I cannot understand businesspeople like this who broadcast their wildly controversial political/social views. STUPID.
    Yes, but how are they supposed to answer a question like that? Should he lie? Would that be better?
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

3 members found this post helpful.

I don't have a problem with what he said. Those of you saying "he's a homophobe" or "he's saying that only women should be in the kitchen cooking his pasta", I think that you're interjecting meanings into that article that just aren't there. The owner is a man, and I'm sure he's done his fair share of cooking in the kitchen. I realize it's not PC to say that a woman cooking dinner is more "traditional" , but let's be honest. It IS more "traditional". I DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH GAY PEOPLE. One of my very best friends is a lesbian. However, I can also comfortably say that when you think of a traditional, old family culture- especially like the food/family oriented Italians where the women cooked and fed their families- I do not automatically picture two gay dudes. I picture a "traditional" family...mom cooking, kids, whatever. Flame me if you want. I'm not saying that two gay people are not a family, or cannot cook, etc. But that's also not traditional.
    Tin Roof Living- Custom Wreaths & Home D├ęcor
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TinRoofLiving?ref=ss_profile
    PM me to receive a COTH discount!

17 members found this post helpful.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I don't respect companies that don't respect me, so, while their heads can say whatever they want, I don't have to nor will I support their products.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

12 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

They aren't supposed to be answering questions like that to begin with. There are rules and code of conduct when you're a CEO or executive and the first rule is that you keep your mouth shut unless you've written something to say ahead of time and run it by the lawyers. The best CEOs I know are the ones that don't say a damn word to anyone about anything except company business and when they do say something in the public forums it's always a straight to the point statement and not "Well I think...".
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I wish more CEO/owners would speak so freely. Make decisions of where to spend my money easier. I would much rather support companies like Panera rather than ones like Papa Johns and similarly avoid Barilla.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by see u at x View Post
    Yes, but how are they supposed to answer a question like that? Should he lie? Would that be better?
    Probably, unless he wants people to boycott his pasta. Another response would be, "Oh boy, I've learned by watching others that it's generally best not to comment on any potentially controversial political/social issues because no matter what you say, someone is going to get upset! [chuckle, chuckle]
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

He can say whatever he wants, of course, but if he only wants to market his pasta to traditional families, he's leaving a lot of money on the table. Since the company is family owned and not publicly traded, he's only hurting his own family's profits. If it were a public company, he'd be breaching a fiduciary responsiblity to his shareholders...the responsibility to always put his shareholder's interests ahead of his own in making business decisions.

3 members found this post helpful.

LOL. If women play such a fundamental role in the family (and the kitchen, with their pasta-cooking), what about a lesbian couple in the ads? DOUBLE YOUR WOMANLY FUNDAMENTALIST PASTA-COOKING GOODNESS!
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

18 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    I don't have a problem with what he said. Those of you saying "he's a homophobe" or "he's saying that only women should be in the kitchen cooking his pasta", I think that you're interjecting meanings into that article that just aren't there.
    Yes! WAY too much of this going on these days. Everything has become so ridiculously PC these days, it is like walking on egg shells that you might say something that will blown all out of proportion.

I don't agree with all of Obama's ideas......... "GASP! OMG racist, racist!"

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by furlong47 View Post
    These company CEOs and owners have every right to their opinion, but that means I have every right to spend my money elsewhere. I will not buy from many companies for a variety of reasons and when I heard the original comment Barilla went right on that list. Chick Fil-a is there also, and Abercrombie/Hollister (not that I bought from them anyway to begin with.)
    Exactly this. He is entitled to his views, we have every right to shop elsewhere.
    Barilla, Chick-Fil-a, Abercrombie, Papa Johns, Walmart... there are plenty of better alternatives.

What I think is funny is that immediately after the CEO of Barilla made his initial stupid comment (that he backpedalled from shortly afterwards), other pasta makers jumped up to make fun and capitalize on his actions.
    I think it one was Progresso.

Barilla is on sale at Liquidation World here for .75 a package.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Yep they're within their rights.