The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pay for a Handyman

I need some small jobs done around my home. They're things that a big construction company won't do, because of that small size. There is a commercial handyman company in town that I was going to call.

However, I was at the home of an acquaintance yesterday and I saw some of the work that her husband has done around the house. It's beautiful. Her husband lost his job because of the sequester and hasn't been able to find a new one yet. I had the thought that I could both get some quality work done around my house and provide them with some much needed income, if I had him do the work.

Besides the question of getting the phrasing right, so that I don't accidentally insult him(I have been known to bury my foot in my mouth at times), I'm wondering how much to offer him. It has to be enough so that it more than compensates for what he would not be getting from unemployment during the course of the job and, beyond that, it has to be fair. I just have no idea what a fair offer would be.

Those of you who hire handymen, especially here in the Northeast, what do you pay? Do you pay by the hour, or by the job?
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I've done both. Hourly has been anywhere from $20-90 dollars. By the job ranged from $5-10 on up, depending. You might ask him what he thinks is fair and then go from there (and pay more if you think he's undercharging because you're a friend).
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

My boyfriend does some construction work for fun (???) once in a while, like building gazebos, putting in hardwood floors etc (he has a lot of friends that flip houses).
    He charges supplies (wood, gas, paint etc) plus $40-60 per hour- if it's a multi-day project (ie. he'll be getting a big check) it's $40, $50-60 if it's a one time fix.

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by AlterTops View Post
    My boyfriend does some construction work for fun (???) once in a while, like building gazebos, putting in hardwood floors etc (he has a lot of friends that flip houses).
    He charges supplies (wood, gas, paint etc) plus $40-60 per hour- if it's a multi-day project (ie. he'll be getting a big check) it's $40, $50-60 if it's a one time fix.

Hope that helps!
    That is about what I pay.

ATM I am paying a federal worker to help with my horses
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Louise is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Just the kind of information I was looking for. Thanks, all!

Let's narrow it down some more. Any Western New Yorkers in the mix?
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Capital Region here and have a very talented handyman working for me right now for $30/hour. (ETA: Plus expenses, of course. He will sometimes front materials and charge me back, or I will buy, depending on what they are). But, he lives 3 houses away, so that may be his 'bargain' rate.

His main job is patio design/landscape architecture but he recently moved to this area and does not have enough big jobs to keep a full time crew, so he's sort of patching his way through the season.

We had another handyman guy who charges $25/hour and his work is good but he's not as reliable....so things can remain half done for months...not good.

I have a handyman who charges $45 an hour.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

I'm Western Mass, kinda close.

Our "friend of a friend" handyman charges $35/hour, although we have also paid him by the job when it wasn't a rush sort of thing. For example, we just had him build a cabinet door for a custom cubby area, and he said he would feel bad charging by the hour since he was going to have to do his own tinkering/learning/etc. So he charged us a flat rate.

I don't think it's insulting at all, unless you're like "Since you're out of work want to do this for $10? Everything counts! "

Nobody can be insulted if you're like "Hey, I was noticing your gorgeous work recently, and if you have some free time on your hands, I have some jobs that I was going to send to xxxxx company, but would love to pass to you instead if you're interested."

Why not call the company you were thinking of using before and see what their general hourly rate is.

I do not have the income to pay a handyman, so DH plays the part at the moment.
    HOWEVER, his parents, who are aging, wealthy, and live on a working farm, pay their basically full time mr.fix-and-maintain-it $35 per hour. The guy is amazing!

I pay mine $40/hour, 40 miles NW of Boston, near the NH border. It's $60 an hour if he brings heavy equipment in like his loader or his 2 ton dump, but only while he's actually using the equipment.

Louise, I looked at the bill my neighbor gave me last yr and his hrly charge rate is $40 which is exceptionally cheap. He's the neighbor that retired from the Monroe County Sheriff's dept and has done about 3 major remodels on his own home, the first taking a ranch and making it a two-story so he really does know what he's doing. If he doesn't know or isn't sure then he won't touch it.

He' supposed to come over today or tomorrow (looks like tomorrow) so we can re-plumb the water line from the house to the barn (all inside work).

I'll be honest, I'm probably one of the closest in western NY so it should give you an idea of charge rates.

Can I suggest that rather than offer him a set dollar/job or dollar/hr wage, I'd first ask him if he was willing to do it and let him quote you a price. That way you don't have to worry about insulting him with an offer that he may consider too low. Also I wouldn't worry about it worrying about it being enough to compensate him for not using his unemployment for that time period. That's his concern if he would even report it.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I pay my guy by the job. I had all new light fixtures put up in the house and some bracing for ceiling fans put up, and he also changed out some faucets. I just showed him what I needed done, he told me what to buy, and I paid him at the end. I probably should ask ahead of time what things would cost next time, but he's cheap, so whatever it is, it's worth it.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :