The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sebecuse Cysts.....

This is not the first time I've had one, third one in the last six months but a different place each time. This current one is on my upper lip in between the lip and my nose, FYI a very painful spot. Has anyone felt with these before and found any long term remedies? Doctor wanted to put me on doxycycline long term as I have PCOS and this could be related to that. I just don't feel like being on a long term antibiotic. Thanks for any tips ahead of time
    One man's wrong lead is another man's counter-canter -Steven D. Price

A sebaceous cyst?
    EDDIE WOULD GO

2 members found this post helpful.

I've got em. They suck and huuuuuuuuurt. I tried antibiotics. Nada. I'm also allergic to salicylic acid. Some other common acne type thing. Talking hives that swell my eyes shut. I haven't found anything yet. Just ice for the pains. Mine is also suspected to be hormonal.... Been told that lower face and jawline is a sign of hormone caused acne. Uhg

In fact I think I've got one popping up in the same place as you do. Joy.
    Clancy 17hh chestnut Dutch WB, '99. Owned and loved since '04 and still goin'!

Yes sorry on my iPhone currently so autocorrect has a mind of its own :-|

Tehzebra- be prepared for some pain, this is the worst one to date. If I was gutsy enough I would be cutting it open myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Coreene View Post
    A sebaceous cyst?

Pimple from hell. Really deep under the skin, no white head, red lump, sometimes boilesque. Stays forever and hurts like crazy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dressagechickmn View Post
    Tehzebra- be prepared for some pain, this is the worst one to date. If I was gutsy enough I would be cutting it open myself.
    Uhg yeah I've had one here before. Hurt to talk. Worst was probably one juuust inside my nostril while I had a cold.... Once had one on my braline. It was a small one but the dang wire was trying to murder me. Thankfully that was a one time thing.... Knock on wood...

I think she was just correcting what my autocorrect believed to spelled wrong

I didn't even notice that! Must be getting late...

Quote Originally Posted by Tehzebra View Post
    Pimple from hell. Really deep under the skin, no white head, red lump, sometimes boilesque. Stays forever and hurts like crazy.
    I know, was just questioning if she meant a sebaceous one. I feel for anyone who has them, they must be so painful
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Sebaceous cysts -argggh. I had a gigantic and intensely painful one on my breast near the bra line. It was horrid and kept getting worse over a couple of days. I even called an urgent care type facility to see if they could take care of it, but they told me no -- that it was considered outpatient surgery and they could not do it. They suggested the emergency room. Having no insurance, I wasn't about to do that, so I applied hot packs to try to get it to burst but finally had to open it up myself with a sterilized razor blade. I am not easily grossed out, but OMG. The relief from the pain was worth it though. My sympathies to those of you who have them. I hope yours resolve less dramatically.

Yeah. I actually will get them, they'll explode under the skin leaving some disgusting hardened cyst that has to get removed with a scaple and stitches. I had one that was so deep and large under the skin that it needed three stitches. My doctor was impressed.

Genetic predisposition (I've been told) and my dad has had some seriously gnarly ones involving drain tubes and the like.

The BEST thing I've found has actually be for acne in general (and preventing those horrible nightmare cysts) is...

the sauna!

Really deep sweating. Get all that crap out of the pores. Just let those pores open and the sweat pour out and take all the crap with it. More a preventive than a treatment but...

Obviously not an option if you can't do the sauna.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

I have no idea why people actually put their sebaceous cysts on youtube, but they do. A friend of mine sent me some links, and for some reason I looked at them. Amazingly gross.

3 members found this post helpful.

I have PCOS and used to get them on the bra line and groin. Long term what worked for me was dealing with the PCOS. Once I had been on metformin for about 6 months I stopped getting them.
    I also used to get something similar in the armpits that has left scars. I dont get those anymore either.

DH worked in the lab at a pharma company when I was getting the worst of them. He would constantly bring home sterile tubex with needles and just needles in his pockets. He would throw a bunch in a pocket and forget to take them out at home. So I had a bunch of sterile needles at home. Once a cyst got "ripe" enough I would lance it with a sterile needle and squeeze it. Gross.The relief was well worth it.

We also had a diabetic cat so had sterile needles left over from him. Diabetic needles do not work well as they are too fine of a guage and don't leave a big enough hole.

OP- Talk to an endocrinologist about treatments for the PCOS. Once you get your hormones under control it will hopefuly help with the cysts. I could not use birth control as I get blood clots from those.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

I have hydradenitis, so I get them in my groin, inner thighs, armpits, butt, and once on my breast. Knock on wood I haven't had one in a while, but they're awful. If you only get them in those areas you probably have hydradenitis suppurativa.

Getting the diagnosis didn't solve anything (it's incurable) but helped me get over my stepmother telling me it was because I was a dirty girl the first time I had one.
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

If by sebaceous cyst we are talking about the really stubborn cystic acne type situation that drag on forever go to the derm and they can shoot a small amount of cortisone in it. It will be gone in two days. This was a life saver for me at one point.

Now the sebaceous cyst that normally requires surgical removal not sure if the above would work but can always ask the derm.

Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    So I had a bunch of sterile needles at home. Once a cyst got "ripe" enough I would lance it with a sterile needle and squeeze it. Gross.The relief was well worth it.
    I've never had one myself, but FWIW, this is how I deal with them when my dog gets them, which she does a LOT. My horses get Adequan, so I usually have a fair number of sterile needles around.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Quote Originally Posted by axl View Post
    I have hydradenitis, so I get them in my groin, inner thighs, armpits, butt, and once on my breast. Knock on wood I haven't had one in a while, but they're awful. If you only get them in those areas you probably have hydradenitis suppurativa.

Getting the diagnosis didn't solve anything (it's incurable) but helped me get over my stepmother telling me it was because I was a dirty girl the first time I had one.
    You just answered a question that's been plaguing me for a long time! Does anything help?
    Quarry Rat

Wash with an acne soap, try to avoid "swamp ass" situations where you're sweaty and dirty for hours (except horse shows, go to them anyway lol) and I like a nice soak in Epsom salt when I have an outbreak. Other than that, the dermatologist recommended a long-term low dose antibiotic but that wasn't something I was willing to do.
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

Thanks a lot!
    Quarry Rat