The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have two border collies and they herded our sheep until I had to move back down to CA for a while... Now they herd balls instead.

They both took to sheep immediately. Its amazing how much they can do on instinct alone. the older one has some bad habits as our first instructor was not the best. I switched instructors and learned a lot! We're not great, but we can get the job job and sometimes it's even pretty!

My second instructor would not work with anything but Border Collies, the first took any and all comers, as long as they showed some instinct on testing. I've seen some nice Kelpies and mc Nabbs, but BCs are definitely the dominant breed.

you should watch the documentary "Away to Me"

available online.. follow three dogs through the Soldiers Hollow trials. three very different dogs, so fun to watch.
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

I got the chance to take herding lessons using an experienced BC belonging to the teacher about 14 years ago. I even got to compete in two trials (one in Dawsonville GA- I trained with Hubert's daughter Carole-Anne). Stopped taking lessons when I badly hurt my ankle, then never got back into it once it was better. I'd love to do it again, but simply don't have the time at this point in my life.

Being out in a field just you, the sheep and the dog and having the dog work the sheep was one of the coolest things I've done. One those times when you feel like "this could be now, this could be 100 years ago".

I really enjoyed the book "Eminent Dogs, Dangerous Men" by Donald McCaig. DO NOT read his book "Nop's Trials" which has been mentioned on other OT day threads as one of the most disturbing books ever read by multiple COTHers (and the dog is alive at the end- don't do it!).

There have been a few border collie herding demonstrations around here, but instead of sheep they use ducks. ZOMG. Hilarious--the ducks act so offended. If you ever get a chance to see ducks being herded, do it.
    ---------------------------

I do hobby herding with my German Shepherd Dog. We have trialed a little with AHBA, but that was several years ago.
    Sheilah
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia
    And
    Sheeple Extraordinaire

In school after a long day vaccinating and deworming a huge flock of muddy, balky sheep, the farmer gave our class a demonstration with his Border Collie. It was one of the most amazing displays I've ever seen. The dog was simply beautiful.
    Juliette Beauchamp, LVT
    http://turtlemountainfarm.com/

Quote Originally Posted by WildBlue View Post
    There have been a few border collie herding demonstrations around here, but instead of sheep they use ducks. ZOMG. Hilarious--the ducks act so offended. If you ever get a chance to see ducks being herded, do it.
    My younger dogs LOVES working ducks. The older one not so much.... the younger one can't stay away and he's good at it.. the ducks, well, they are not impressed. bt they know he won't follow them to the pond...
    Turn off the computer and go ride!