The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Spinoff: Expectant mother/new mother parking spaces

This is a spinoff of the handicapped stalls thread. I am not trying to be contentious or offend anyone, but my flame suit is zipped tight just in case

I am considered physically handicapped under the ADA (and am currently very visibly handicapped after having my left lower leg, foot, and ankle reconstructed) and I've had a placard for a number of years. I use that placard very judiciously; if I'm having a good day, I will park wherever I can find a spot and walk. If I've been dislocating and subluxing all morning and walking is very difficult (even with crutches or a cane, or if I'm so uncomfortable I'm in my chair), I will make use of my placard.

Last week, I was at the local mall to get a pair of sunglasses fixed. We drove around to the bank of spots designated as handicapped (all of which were full), only to find two extra spots CLOSER than the handicapped spots with a sign designating them "for expectant and new mothers". Both of those spots were empty and to tell you the truth, I was PISSED. You bet your arse I parked in the closest spot with my placard displayed!

Now maybe I'm overly sensitive to this, but pregnancy does not trump a physical handicap in terms of a disability (when did pregnancy become a disability, anyways?). With some notable exceptions (and in which case, you probably shouldn't be out walking around the mall/grocery store/whatever), there is no reason a pregnant woman should not be able to walk from her car in the parking lot to the store, do her shopping, and walk back again. If she needs help bringing items to the car, either bring a spouse/relative/friend or ask a store clerk for assistance. Same goes for the new mom. I cannot think of a single good reason that "expectant mother" spaces should even exist, let alone be set ahead of the handicapped spaces.

Am I alone in this?
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

33 members found this post helpful.

I see your point. Pregnancy and motherhood are not disabilities.
    Founding member of the "I Miss bar.ka" clique
    Founding member of the "I Miss Pocket Trainer" clique

18 members found this post helpful.

Handicapped spots are sacrosanct...park without a tag, you deserve a ticket. Pregnant/ex-pregnant spots are open spots, no problems or laws against using them whoever you are. I love the "parents with children" slots...tain't gonna' happen...but if you need the width of a handicapped spot you might be royally screwed when someone parks so close to you getting back in the car is impossible.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

2 members found this post helpful.

You are not alone. The first time I ever saw such a marked space I could not believe what I was seeing.

If you are pregnant you are supposed to EXERCISE, for crying out loud! As in, walk!

Pregnancy and motherhood are definitely not disabilities!
    RoanPonyMare

17 members found this post helpful.

I'm on a pregnancy board where these spots are mocked. :-)

Most moms prefer to park beside the cart return, since it makes juggling kids/cart/groceries much simpler.

I have been in lots with spots so narrow that they made it nearly impossible toget the infant car seat in and out, if those have new mom spots, the spot is often wider. It'd be nicer if all the spots were wider, though! A heavier adult, a large package, a wide car... Those could all make parking and getting in and out of the car in a narrow spot tricky.

Most women who end up having complications in pregnancy that would require a short walk end up with a handicap permit (a temporary one) and so can legally use the spots.

1 members found this post helpful.

Those are courtesy spots, not protected by law like handicapped spots, and I use them whenever I feel like. The stores do it to seem "family-friendly", much like restaurants having kids' menus.

That said, I've never seen them closer than the handicapped spots. Right next to those, yes, but not closer to the entrance. I can see why that pissed you off.
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

3 members found this post helpful.

Parked in one yesterday (with my handicapped tag) It was next to the cart return & at the time the closest spot I could find. However, I parked in those spots long before I screwed up my ankle. Kids are a choice, not a disability.

I have on occasion used restaurant/carry spots when all the handicapped spots were full.

14 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RPM View Post
    You are not alone. The first time I ever saw such a marked space I could not believe what I was seeing.

If you are pregnant you are supposed to EXERCISE, for crying out loud! As in, walk!

Pregnancy and motherhood are definitely not disabilities!
    I could type probably a full page rant on this. But for the sake of brevity I'll just say that you had the same sort of reaction I did. "WTF? Since when did pregnancy become a disability?!"
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".

8 members found this post helpful.

Just plain silly. I have been in better shape during my four pregnancies than when not. better attention to diet, exercise and no booze does the trick. Pregnancy is not a disability. Haven't we agitated and fought for that as progressive women?

10 members found this post helpful.

I prefer parking next to a cart return. I've only used an expectant spot once on a day I was puking like mad and did not want to stop at the store. Lucky me, there was one AND it was next to the cart return.

I do think it's considerate to have the new mom spots though. Carjackers prey on women with small kids (divided attention!), so there are justifiable safety reasons to place spots up close designated for mothers with infants. On the other hand, the girl here in Houston that was shot to death while attempting to fight off a kidnapper hadn't even made it to the parking area yet. So there's never any real guarantees. It's just thoughtful of business owners to have such spots.
    Jer 29: 11-13

My aunts and cousins have wondered where all these spots were when they were expectant and new mothers. From their descriptions of toting one or two young kids while pregnant all the way across the parking lot did make me feel for them.

The only place I have really seen them is on military bases, though - and you best not park in those if you aren't pregnant or expecting!

Quote Originally Posted by red mares View Post
    Kids are a choice, not a disability.
    Dude true story!!
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

13 members found this post helpful.

Right now, I appreciate them. I'm due any day, have a toddler, and am still dealing with HG. I don't have a friend/relative/DH to help me out during the day, so when I need to go grocery shopping I really appreciate that I have the option to not shelp my oversized, puking butt from the back of the lot, while dragging a toddler in the 80+ degree heat. Then having to hike back pushing a cart full of groceries. I understand pregnancy and children were a choice, but HG was not!

That being said... I wouldn't even think about using the spot if I didn't need to. I've always parked at the back of the lot and enjoy the exercise. Sometimes just having it there is the only "easy" part of my day, though.

6 members found this post helpful.

We parked in one today. My husband was having a bad day but was trying to get out and move around so we went to the grocery store. The parents with children spot is closer than the handicap so he took it. I never feel bad when he does.

He does have a handicap card.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    Right now, I appreciate them. I'm due any day, have a toddler, and am still dealing with HG. I don't have a friend/relative/DH to help me out during the day, so when I need to go grocery shopping I really appreciate that I have the option to not shelp my oversized, puking butt from the back of the lot, while dragging a toddler in the 80+ degree heat. Then having to hike back pushing a cart full of groceries. I understand pregnancy and children were a choice, but HG was not!

That being said... I wouldn't even think about using the spot if I didn't need to. I've always parked at the back of the lot and enjoy the exercise. Sometimes just having it there is the only "easy" part of my day, though.
    I understand this. Usually I park myself a bit away from the door so I can try to be sick in a storm drain away from curious eyes. Pregnancy can be so classy.

My husband always tells me "Just park in the expectant mother parking spot. No one's going to question you." Lol. I don't park in any spots, anywhere in town, that are reserved for anyone else. I just don't.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Does this mean there can be a no-kid section in the restraunt? please?

If its going to be where mothers get special treatment, lets also have special treatment for those like me who CHOSE to not have kids.

I don't agree with the parking spots, if you can't handle the kids or pregancy enough to walk a few more feet....?? I don't get it.

26 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Punkie View Post

Now maybe I'm overly sensitive to this, but pregnancy does not trump a physical handicap in terms of a disability (when did pregnancy become a disability, anyways?). With some notable exceptions (and in which case, you probably shouldn't be out walking around the mall/grocery store/whatever), there is no reason a pregnant woman should not be able to walk from her car in the parking lot to the store, do her shopping, and walk back again. If she needs help bringing items to the car, either bring a spouse/relative/friend or ask a store clerk for assistance. Same goes for the new mom. I cannot think of a single good reason that "expectant mother" spaces should even exist, let alone be set ahead of the handicapped spaces.

Am I alone in this?
    Slow clap....(says the expectant mother)

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    My husband always tells me "Just park in the expectant mother parking spot. No one's going to question you." Lol. I don't park in any spots, anywhere in town, that are reserved for anyone else. I just don't.
    Me either. It's just common courtesy. Now if I were handicapped, with handicapped tags and a handicapped space wasn't available, then I would.

But you have to realize, we're in an age of "I've got mine, screw you", so common courtesy seems to have been thrown out the window.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

I agree with you.

Both times I was pregnant, I ended up out of work on disability and on bedrest, due to incompetent cervix and preterm labor. First pregnancy, I delivered at 26 weeks and never did get to get out of bed. Second pregnancy, the doctor let me back up when I was still pregnant (and not laboring) at 34 weeks, but told me to "take it easy". She told me I could get a temporary placard, so I wouldn't be walking a long way, but it was easier to just have someone drop me off at the door of the restaurant or whatever and go park the car.

Long story short, IF someone's pregnancy really IS causing a temporary disability, they can get a temp placard and use the handicapped spots legally. Just as if they had any other health issue that restricted mobility temporarily. A normal, healthy, pregnancy is not a disability in and of itself.

And I never did understand the need for "new mother" parking spaces. I had c-sections both times and as soon as I was able to drive again, I was perfectly capable of walking as far as I had to from a parking spot. Park car, put baby in stroller, walk. That's what strollers are for, so you don't have to carry a heavy baby long distances .