The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spinoff: Buy A Car, What Is A Must-Have For You?

What is a non-negotiable, must-have for you when you buy a new (or new-to-you) vehicle?

For me, it's always been power windows. Can't STAND a vehicle without them. More recently, a power captain's chair has become more of a must, though I can settle if the thing has arm rests. The seat HAS to be able to recline quite a bit...it can have a lever or power recline as long as it goes back quite a bit.

For the truck, I don't know if I'd ever buy one without power mirrors again. They have been a godsend since I do a lot of backing and maneuvering in the dark around obstacles and under low overhangs, and they also help immensely to keep an eye on a hayrack on the road.

What's your deal-breaking sticking point/s?

1 members found this post helpful.

Horsepower. I've tried owning econo cars in the past. It never lasts long. I need at least 300hp to be happy.

It also has to have a personality. I don't like a car that looks like every other car on the road.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Leather seats. I drive my vehicles until they die. Leather holds up so much better than regular upholstery-especially with dogs and barn trips.

2 members found this post helpful.

4wd or AWD is 100% non-negotiable for me. Doesn't make sense to have a vehicle I can't use in my own driveway.

Power windows is also a must, and since that usually comes as a package with power door locks/remote entry that's nice too.
    Unless I'm shopping for a classic car/recreation vehicle. Then I don't expect it to have any of the above.

A very useful bonus that I don't really require but really like to have is the compass direction and exterior ambient temps. Nice to know which direction I'm facing with a fast glance and also nice to know when temps are nearing freezing point so I can keep an eye out for black ice in winter.

Also a definite bonus is non-cloth interior. Not necessarily leather, I like naugahide, pleather, plastic, whatever just as much. As long as hay and animal hair can't weave itself into the fabric and spilled coffee can be easily wiped off.

My truck I ordered with the bare minimum...which was the power windows and locks. I was *pissed* that there were only cloth options for the F250 unless I went with a MUCH pricier package that included leather. Not a single faux-leather type interior option was given. So it was either spend another $3500 minimum extra for non-cloth or deal with the cloth. The interior or my truck's seats and center console look like crap due to coffee stains.

I do like having a buttload of bells and whistles, my SUV is loaded. But I won't pay for all of that in a new vehicle. I bought my SUV very used.

I'm not a big fan of low-to-the-ground cars or small cars. I will not do a coupe/2 door. My husband's care is a regular sized sedan, AWD and I like that though. His is loaded with options...I do NOT like the air conditioned seats. I get that you can cool off hot leather seats in summer, but who wants to drive around with an icy-arse? It's very odd feeling.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Power windows & cruise control!

And something that doesn't feel like it's going to rattle apart on the highway when travelling at highway speeds. Some hp to accelerate from a gravel road onto the highway would be nice, too, but I've done without for 3 years.

Automatic transmission and air conditioning! I know AC is pretty much standard now (at least in the States), but that used to not be the case.

Leather isn't necessarily a deal breaker, but it sure isn't something I'll pay extra for. No matter how good the quality, it eventually cracks and peels and looks like crap. Give me good-quality cloth anyday.

For me, less is better. There are way too many gadgets on cars, and in my mind, just one more thing to break.

However, I will never be without AWD or 4WD again.
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

Manual transmission. Station wagon or four door hatchback body style (can't stand trunks, they make no sense and don't need something as big as an SUV. Leather seats...the dogs and boy would ruin cloth in no time.

Excellent gas mileage, prefer a manual transmission, reliable, 4 doors and/or a hatchback. A good radio with CD player is a must have.

I live in snow country, but don't have a problem with 2 wheel drive - either front or rear wheel.

Heated seats. Power windows. 4 wheel drive. Outside temp thermometer.

When I bought my truck the first thing I said to the salesman was "I only want to see the trucks with heated seats". It gets really cold here in the winter and the place I feel it most is my legs, so it's non-negotiable. He admitted at the end that no one had ever started there. I guess he doesn't sell many trucks to women.

And air conditioning!

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsperson View Post
    Leather seats. I drive my vehicles until they die. Leather holds up so much better than regular upholstery-especially with dogs and barn trips.
    See, me, I hate leather. HATE it. I always get custom seat covers anyway, and they stay put so much better on cloth seats.

Quote Originally Posted by saddleup View Post
    Heated seats. Power windows. 4 wheel drive. Outside temp thermometer.

When I bought my truck the first thing I said to the salesman was "I only want to see the trucks with heated seats". It gets really cold here in the winter and the place I feel it most is my legs, so it's non-negotiable. He admitted at the end that no one had ever started there. I guess he doesn't sell many trucks to women.

And air conditioning!
    The A/C goes without saying. I'd never own another vehicle without one. Just spent big bucks having mine repaired on my van. It would have been traded in if it couldn't have been fixed. I'd drive a heap with good A/C before I'd drive a Bentley without it.

I've gotten my butt burnt by heated seats in a loaner that I didn't know how to work, so those aren't for me! I'm the person who always has to have it cold in the car...

I like automatic on the van, prefer manual on the truck.

If I were to ever get a car (as opposed to my truck), it would have to have
    -Air Conditioning (#1 important)
    - Manual
    - Amazing gas mileage
    -4 doors
    Would really like it to have:
    Manual locks and windows, cloth interior, no extras like built in GPS, Sirius, etc
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

A/C
    leather seats
    room for @least 7, unless a pickup, then crew cab
    Power windows

The car I currently have we had to do after market leather on the seats, because all the leather interiors had sunroofs, and DH is too tall for one (you lose 2" of head room). It was going to be $$$$ to get heated seats after market, so for $250, you can get an auto starter. Problem solved

Good performance on crash test ratings!

Air conditioning, and decent ground clearance. I also definitely want a back up camera in my next vehicle. I don't shift, so automatic transmission. A quality vehicle, with a decent dealer service department-that's the reason I won't buy another Ford, because of the service attitude and quality from three dealerships where I used to live. I also won't buy a vehicle I can't get service near where I live-a friend bought a Mini Cooper, and the nearest dealer is almost 2 hours away, I won't be doing that. 4 doors are vital, and a hatchback with fold down seats is necessary too.
    Last edited by JanM; Oct. 14, 2013 at 04:58 PM.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

It has to be a Subaru Forester. Not sure what I'll move on to if/when they stop making them

A/C
    AM/FM radio/CD player
    4 doors
    Room in the back seat for bags of grain and wood pellets
    Nothing larger than a Honda Civic
    Airbags
    Honda, Toyota or Nissan
    Good scores on crash tests
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Cruise control
    Antilock brakes
    Air conditioning

Power windows and locks are almost-but-not-quite must-haves. I'd go without if it was a killer deal, but it's gotta be a really good deal.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

Car has to be convertible
    A/C- defrost works better with A/C
    Power windows and locks
    Prefer heated leather seats

For the poster who said leather always cracks- my car has 188,000 miles and is a 12 years old. I have one small dog toenail hole in the front seat other than that they look great. Better yet they don't smell like lake dog or horse.

Truck:
    Chevy
    4x4
    A/C
    leather
    Crew cab
    power windows/doors
    power mirrors

Love my pony puller with all of the above. Only thing I would change about the truck is better MPG. It is a 2005 gas so only 11 MPH. But I only use it to tow the trailer.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)