The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Good grief MB, I have no desire to debate with you. I have no comment on the people who misidentify, photoshop, falsify or whatever. There are planty of people who misidentify them. Obviously you are the expert. I wanted to hear from other people who have seen them. Simple as that.

I live right down the street and heard the kill up the street tested DNA as feline after wildlife people claim all these killings are from bears. Who knows what they are and why do you care whether I italicize. Feline. Not ursine.

But obviously you know a lot more about what is going on in my neighborhood than I do so perhaps I should call you the next time I have a question or concern.

1 members found this post helpful.

Good grief MB, I have no desire to debate with you. I have no comment on the people who misidentify, photoshop, falsify or whatever. There are planty of people who misidentify them. Obviously you are the expert. I wanted to hear from other people who have seen them. Simple as that.

I live right down the street and heard the kill up the street tested DNA as feline after wildlife people claim all these killings are from bears. Who knows what they are and why do you care whether I italicize. Feline. Not ursine.

But obviously you know a lot more about what is going on in my neighborhood than I do so perhaps I should call you the next time I have a question or concern.
    Whoa, okay.

Wasn't trying to debate. Just tried to help with what I hoped would be useful information. Did attempt to type it out in the least objectionable way, must have failed.

I'll leave the thread instead of upsetting you to the point of rudeness. Apologies.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I was living in Ocala and saw a FL panther in the woods behind the farm where I worked. We would go and ride on the trails and spotted the big cat then.

I saw... I'm not sure what... one foggy morning in 2012. It was early, and it ran across Route 7, in Sharon, CT. Was blondish and uniform in color (not mottled, like a bobcat). My first impression was "very large golden retriever" but... it did NOT move like a dog. And there are persistent rumors of cougar in the Berkshire area down into the NW corner of CT.

I can't say that I saw a cougar. But I can't say I didn't.

well how about a Kangaroo? just up the road a few miles

http://www.bornfreeusa.org/database/...ent.php?id=842

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    well how about a Kangaroo? just up the road a few miles

http://www.bornfreeusa.org/database/...ent.php?id=842
    Awww..poor thing. I hope they find it and get it back safely.

Smile Raises hand!

Seen one 2 miles west of Warrenton, Va. while trailclearing with a tractor running and a chain saw running. Walked up, checked out the commotion, swung LONG tail around and moved on. Hubby & I froze. He put chainsaw on neutral. We'd heard multiple reports of a mated pair (one blond & one black) in the area w/cubs previous summer.
    Memorable experience I gotta say!

According to the local paper, a local wildlife official, when asked if any of the recent livestock attacks could have been a mountain lion said "I'd never say never" and that is is not beyond the realm of possibility that they could "eventually" return to this area. That is the first time they have actually come to not just insisting on 100% denial.

Default Hour west of Boston

On 2 separate occasions driving home on the same road. SOMETHING ran across the road. It was a pretty buff/light tan/ palomino type color and it was BIG. like bigger than a dog and it moved like a cat and it was fricken FAST. Most of the people that I have actually told.. I got the you're imagining things.. there are no Mountain Lions in MA etc etc etc. I'm sorry BUT I've had cats my whole life, I've volunteered at shelters for years and I've watched more Animal Planet/Nat Geo Wild/documentaries than I can count.. I may not know exactly what it was... there was the whole WTF was THAT?! and the 2nd time it happend months and months after the 1st time. Well.. it was not a dog/coyote or whatever.. it wasn't a Deer (to small) It moved like a cat, and it was a hell of a lot bigger than a house/barn/feral cat...
    ....... pausing

Quote Originally Posted by moodymaretoo View Post
    On 2 separate occasions driving home on the same road. SOMETHING ran across the road. It was a pretty buff/light tan/ palomino type color and it was BIG. like bigger than a dog and it moved like a cat and it was fricken FAST. Most of the people that I have actually told.. I got the you're imagining things.. there are no Mountain Lions in MA etc etc etc. I'm sorry BUT I've had cats my whole life, I've volunteered at shelters for years and I've watched more Animal Planet/Nat Geo Wild/documentaries than I can count.. I may not know exactly what it was... there was the whole WTF was THAT?! and the 2nd time it happend months and months after the 1st time. Well.. it was not a dog/coyote or whatever.. it wasn't a Deer (to small) It moved like a cat, and it was a hell of a lot bigger than a house/barn/feral cat...
    You have to watch for the tail.That is the big giveaway. If it has a very long tail, it is a ML. There have been some large cats seen that people think are ML's but almost always when you see the picture they are bobcats with their short tail...we sure seem to be breeding some large bobcats around here these days.
    That being said, if you see the tail - bingo!!

This is from a wildlife cam in PA https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Yes. A mountain lion ran in front of my car in hot pursuit of a deer in Somers, CT. Exact same happened to someone I know in Avon, CT. Another friend has saw one walk right past him in a snowstorm (I asked him about visibility and he said it was unmistakable.) Another friend had one walk under him while he was sitting in a tree, hunting deer. Another friend saw one in Ashford, CT (ran across Rt 89).

I've seen a lynx in broad daylight on my property in Ashford, CT. It turned and stared at me at about 40 feet. Absolutely beautiful and riveting. I told some friends and they said there is a mating pair of lynx in Ashford and they see them frequently. Just have to know where to look.

My sister has a pair of bobcat on her property in Scotland, CT, that we've all seen multiple times.
    Kendra
    Runningwater Warmbloods & Mare Station

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut) and EM Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook

Oh, yeah, there is no question that bobcats are breeding here (are they technically "big cats"?). I have photos and video of a mother and her kitten playing my backyard from this summer. And our AC picked up a pregnant bobcat who had been hit by a car, also this summer.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    The jaguarundi is about twice the size of a domestic cat. It has two color phases, one grayish, the other reddish. Length of males is about 3 feet, 6 inches, of which the tail is more than half.

Considered extremely rare in Texas, habitat is Mexico and the Rio Grande Valley.... we are 500 miles north in the middle of several million people but have one that lives in the protected four acres behind our place (owner died, kids who live elsewhere maintain the property)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...ter/kitty2.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...Picture047.jpg
    Do these things stalk with their ears back like a domestic cat, or up like a mountain lion?

I've seen a cat between the size of a domestic cat, and a mountain lion, with darker brown fur than you would expect from a mountain lion around here a couple of times. Once it was stalking some turkeys, and the other time crossed the road in front of me. Both times I got a good look at the long tail. The time it was stalking the turkeys, it had its ears back like a house cat. One of the guys who works for us saw one, or it, walking around in his yard early one morning.

Never. I grew up in the foothills of the Appalachians and spent nearly every weekend in the mountains (where my dad's family lived). This was back in the day when there was still lots of undeveloped land and places you couldn't get to by motorized vehicle. But no, never saw anything remotely resembling a mountain lion.

I sure know a lot of people who claim to have seen them, though. But then, people in Essex thought they had a lion on the loose. Turned out to be this lady's cat.

I'm sorry MistyBlue bowed out of the thread. I was hoping one of our wildlife professionals would chime in, and she did. I wasn't aware there were migratory cougars on the east coast and would've liked to have learned more.

Quote Originally Posted by Canaqua View Post
    Oh, yeah, there is no question that bobcats are breeding here (are they technically "big cats"?).
    No, bobcats are small cats. Depending on how you classify big cats, mountain lions can be considered small cats too. Some people only include the genus Panthera (tiger, lion, jaguar, and leopard; the only cats able to roar) in a definition of "big cats."

LOL that pic in Essex is very clearly a house cat, I laughed when I saw that
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

I don't live on the east coast but wanted to comment on the idea that just because people don't see them, doesn't mean they aren't there.

I grew up in a rural area of Western Canada where there are definitely mountain lions. Our neighbour saw one when I was a teen, it ate her dog and was subsequently captured by our local wildlife control. I p
    spent a lot of time outside, trail riding, hiking etc. and didn't see a mountain lion until my late 20s. Then I had two sightings within about 18 months. That was also my father's first sighting (we were trail riding together on a trail we have ridden regularly for about 20 years) - he is a land surveyor and spends much of his working life in the wilderness.

It is common knowledge in our area that if you spot one, you are supposed to report it to the wildlife officers. However locals are of mixed opinion on doing this as hysteria amongst some seems to lead to the capture & killing of the animals for "public safety." Whether or not you decide to report, you do tell your neighbours so they can be on the lookout and take any precautions they want.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

I have; it crossed the road in front of me (a ways ahead, not right in front). It was black, way too big to be a bobcat and had a long tail. Definitely a cat and not a coyote or a dog. This was several years ago in southern NH, near Newton.

I also know credible sources who have seen one in north-central NH, walking in the road, in the early morning.

Just for the record, there are no black mountain lions. The only "black panthers" are either leopards or jaguars.

Someone on my Facebook recently reported a mountain lion that was hit by a car and killed about 60 miles from here.