The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Who on the east coast has seen a mountain lion?

Who on the east coast ha seen a mountain lion? I saw one run across the road in front of my house last fall. There was no mistaking it - it was huge and had a very long tail, not a bobcat tail.

Recently there have been attacks on livestock. The official word in that it was a bear as that is the only animal around here capably of dragging a sheep over a 5 or 6 ft fence.

The frustrating thing is that Mass wildlife officials adamantly deny the existence of ML's. They say provide a picture, someone provides a picture and they say it is photoshopped or it is a bobcat. They say bring us road kill, one gets killed by a car in CT and they say yeah but it was just passing through. Someone positively identifies one in western ma and tehy say yeah it must be a pet someone let loose.

I know what I saw. I also just learned that the saliva tested from a goat carcass last week came back as 'feline'. I'm sure they will say it is bobcat. But it is interesting, I heard feline, not bobcat. But still, wildlife officials will never admit it.

What gives? Anyone else seen one?

They are definitely out there. I haven't seen one myself but one of my friend's friend took a picture of a mountain lion (or puma, or cougar, or catamount) realxing ON HER PORCH (in CT). As in, right there on the other side of the French door. She took several pictures, and the cat was just looking at her, not scared at all.

This is one animal I would not like to encounter while hiking / riding in the woods...but they are truly gorgeous!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

From what I understand, and this could be entirely made up by the person I heard it from, if Mass wildlife admits there are mountain lions here they have to protect them and/or have a hunting season for them. I saw one in Spencer once but didn't believe my eyes until years later when someone else told me they saw one.
    What I lack in preparedness I make up for in enthusiasm

I saw a dead juvenile ML last fall on the side of I-93 South in Andover, MA last year. People on another message board didn't believe me and I tried to get photos—not an easy task on that section of road as there was no left shoulder to pull off on, and snapping cell phone photos at 65+ mph isn't very smart (I certainly tried, though).

There was NO mistaking this was a ML; the tail was LONG and the paws on it were huge. What else could it have been? If its back was to me, I could understand mistaking it for another animal (deer, etc.), but you don't mistake a big cat when you see it.
    RIP my beautiful Lola, ????–August 29, 2014

I didn't see it but was told by a friend who lives there that there is definitely at least one in the Chatsworth woods in NJ - the people living there are true "Piney"s", rural, private & nature friendly and they won't tell any authorities about it as they don't want it trapped or killed - they just keep an eye on their cats & small dogs & forgive it for the occasional chicken theft!

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadien View Post
    I didn't see it but was told by a friend who lives there that there is definitely at least one in the Chatsworth woods in NJ - the people living there are true "Piney"s", rural, private & nature friendly and they won't tell any authorities about it as they don't want it trapped or killed - they just keep an eye on their cats & small dogs & forgive it for the occasional chicken theft!
    Yes, I've also heard one hypothesis about why Mas wildlife doesn't want people to know is that they do not want them poached. They certainly are amazing animals and I would not want to see them trapped or killed. I would hope it would hope restore the natural balance around New England. But I do wish for people to be educated about how to behave if they see one and how to protect livestock.

1 members found this post helpful.

A teenage boy, who worked at our last barn before it was sold, showed me a picture of a cougar caught on camera by a wildlife camera set up to photograph deer. About 46 miles inland from GA coast. This cougar was the usual tawny color. I've been told but haven't seen pix, that a black panther lives in Bloomingdale.

Ted Turner used to breed cougars on his ranch down in north FL. He was breeding the western mountain lions to the FL panthers, trying to preserve the FL panthers. Don't know what happened to his breeding program, but I'm sure some of the panthers which were turned loose near Jax moved up to GA to stake their claims to a range.

We've gotten the armadillos and the coyotes and the love bugs, all of whom arrived here in coastal GA over the years. I'm sure we have the pumas too. Fortunately we are overrun with white tail deer, and the pumas are solitary animals, so we don't have any attacks on horses. Dogs are our worst worry re: attacks on horses.

there are coyotes in Central Park in NYC. Wildlife officials just don't want to admit that wildlife has come back to the east coast.

Quote Originally Posted by Anteup View Post
    From what I understand, and this could be entirely made up by the person I heard it from, if Mass wildlife admits there are mountain lions here they have to protect them and/or have a hunting season for them. I saw one in Spencer once but didn't believe my eyes until years later when someone else told me they saw one.
    We hear the same thing in Maine. I have heard a game warden admit that they're here. I have not personally seen one. But even in the county I live in, which is one of the two most populous in the state, there are large swaths of woods, conservation land, etc.

I saw one in the Adirondack mountains in NY, while on a trail ride. My horse stopped walking, shaking, and I looked up to see it leap onto the trail, look at me, take a few steps, and leap off (trail was in a gully).

It was massive, much larger than any coyote I've seen (though I've heard some coyote/dog crosses are large) and certainly larger than a bobcat. It had a long tail, feline head, and it just moved like a cat. It was so big and there was no doubt in my mind, although others on the ride didn't see it.

Two days later another worker spotted him (this was a dude ranch) and the next day I thought I glimpsed him and the guest riding behind me said, "wow! That's a big cat! Errr... Let's not say anything. My wife doesn't like wildlife."

The ranch owner said that he'd always teased his neighbor for insisting she saw one years before, but our reports made him think she was right.

My sister and her husband spotted one up there ten to fifteen years ago.

My daughter lives in NH. A couple yrs ago she was driving home late from work and after she exited 93?, crossing the road was a mountain lion. She said she was positive that's what it was. Right color. Long tail. She slowed way down and it turned to look at her. The headlights were on it. She positive it was a big big cat.

Short of guards, there isn't any actual protection for livestock against large cats. Fences don't work, lights don't work, hot fencing is just a leap-obstacle, scent deterrents aren't effective on apex hunters, etc.

The cat that was hit and killed was passing through. Had been tagged in multiple states. I think a huge misconception people have is that if you see a puma then the area has resident pumas. The two are mutually exclusive. Large cats have beyond ginormous territories when they bother establishing one. It's extremely normal for them to travel astronomical distances. We have lynx and bobcat here in my area that have been DNA tested back to areas like Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. And those are small big cats. And nobody is trying to deny that there are bobcats or lynx in this area.

Big cats do indeed move through New England. They do it all the time. However...this isn't epidemic migrations. Admitting there are moving cats coming through an area increases sightings, reportings and firearms sales by roughly 1100%. Nope, not kidding. Everyone sees them, everyone loses it and vigilante hunting becomes a problem. Have 7 cats move through an area as big as New England in a year makes the general public assume they're everywhere, they WILL see one, they or their pets ARE in danger and watch everyone's pet golden retrievers get shot.

When wildlife officers tell the public there are definitely NO New England mountain ions, they mean there aren't ANY Northeastern Mountain Lion breeding/residents left in this area that have been monitored. And there are differences between mountain lions depending on area. Just like there are with coyotes and bobcats, etc.

As for the sheep that was killed that was all over Facebook...it was a bear. How do people know? There's a few photos of the bear with the sheep. And bear droppings with the goat. (not to mention the story circulating grew as it circulated...a 200 lb sheep?)

So yep, big cats move through here. Yep, they may stay for a short while. Nope, we don't have resident breeding established big cats in CT or MA.
    Welll, we may...but if so then getting proof of it as like getting pictures of big foot.

(and the photo of the big cat on a deck looking through a window wasn't anywhere near here. The big cat walking across a backyard from a distance was on the west coast. The mule killing a big cat wasn't near here nor did the mule kill the cat. The big cat tracks photos...lynx and mountain lion leave roughly the same size prints, etc)

It's not a conspiracy theory to keep info from the general public.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

4 members found this post helpful.

I used to live in FL. I saw 2, separately, on our farm. One at the front of our driveway, and another in the woods. And our Fed Ex guy saw one once and emergency-called me because I wasn't home to inform me it was there.

I didn't bother trying to explain that I'd seen them before.

The only time we were bothered by one was when it snatched a chicken from our chicken pen and took off. But that's been my only interaction with one in 15ish years.

I will say, be very careful, they can be extremely dangerous. Not normally, but every now and then.
    You're trying to do something normal people wouldn't do because they're terrified they might fail. -Boyd Martin

My dear friends in Kent, CT called DEP about 20 years ago to say they thought they'd seen a mt. lion, on the far side of a neighbor's hay field. DEP said, "NO, it was a bobcat." My friends said, "NO, it was bigger and had a long tail."

I haven't seen one personally but I know at least four credible non imaginative people in this area who have seen them. We have a black "panther" that is seen on a regular basis in our area. One farmer I know saw a yellow lion on his farm. I spoke to an animal control officer who was working with some people to capture in a trap a "panther" that was coming onto their property and seen many times. I know several backpackers who have seen them in the appalachian mountains. I live in SE Virginia and we have a large population of bears here so there's plenty of habitat for large predators. I keep hoping to spot one some day...have seen plenty of bears now...it will make my day to spot that panther.

There is a website out called Cougar Quest (not the one with the half naked women) that logs what they consider to be credible sightings particularly in Virginia. I also pretty sure one was hit and killed on Ft. Lee, VA, this summer.

They are around and generally cause very little trouble. They have plenty of deer to eat on the East Coast.

I did not see it but one was credibly seen at PSU while I was a student.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

LOL take it for what it's worth, but someone told my mother about two years ago that "something" was killed a deer in a small MDC park near them (we are talking city in MA.) and brought it up into a tree. The word mountain lion was thrown out there. I don't know, it's awful close to Boston, coyotes and deer yes, but I can't envision a mountain lion, but then again, stranger things have happened.
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    When wildlife officers tell the public there are definitely NO New England mountain ions, they mean there aren't ANY Northeastern Mountain Lion breeding/residents left in this area that have been monitored. And there are differences between mountain lions depending on area. Just like there are with coyotes and bobcats, etc.

As for the sheep that was killed that was all over Facebook...it was a bear. How do people know? There's a few photos of the bear with the sheep. And bear droppings with the goat. (not to mention the story circulating grew as it circulated...a 200 lb sheep?)
    By the big sheep if you are talking about the one in Princeton MA a few weeks ago, that was said to be a bear because a bear came the next night to eat the carcass so not sure how you prove that was a bear one way or the other. The goat that was killed had the DNA tested and it came back as feline. So, perhaps you are taking about a different goat or sheep? There were also a goat and a sheep killed last week in Hardwick which is very close to here so maybe you are thinking of those. I have no idea of those.

And I have to disagree about "7 cats moving through New England". I would say 7 would be a lot of sightings for a very, very elusive animal. I consider myself so lucky to have seen one. And really, what difference does it make if they are passing through or if they are living here. They are here. And it is absurd to think they are going to pass through and never decide that this is actually a pretty good place to live. There is the right habitat and plenty of food with little competition.

And the farmer in the town next door - a 'real' bona fide breeder of cattle, sheep, goats, chickens for meat - says he has seen both a male and female and is certain there is a small breeding population in the area. And it makes sense. We have the habitat and plenty off food. He's a farmer and I'm pretty confident he can tell the difference between a ML and a bobcat and I'd place a high degree of confidence in his ability as a decades long breeder or all kinds of livestock, to have a fair shot at distinguishing a male form a female.

Eventually wildlife officials will have to acknowledge them instead of treating those of us who have seen them like we are claiming to have seen 'bigfoot' . Just like they used to do with coyotes and with moose...unless you do not believe they are around either?

2 members found this post helpful.

HEARD one in NE CT many years back. Made my hair stand on end.Had no idea what the hell it was, then a few days later we heard that there had been sightings.

These things have huge ranges. Large carnivores can really move far in just a day. Even domestic cats can get a good move on.

My husband saw one on our farm about 10 years ago. He was riding on the tractor on a farm lane when he saw it looking at him from the next field over. Its tail long, and giving a little twitch. Then it turned and walked off. My husband is in the "credible and unimaginative" category too! :-)

I used to walk all over our farm, and would always carry an air horn just in case. But I never saw one (thankfully!). I've stopped walking in the fields b/c of Lyme Disease.

My husband, FIL, and another man we know have seen them, over the span of the last 12 years or so...We own a large amount of land here in SE CT, and there is plenty of game here besides Mountain Lions...The man I mentioned lives in in North Stonington, CT, and took a picture of one crossing his front yard this past June.