The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

my fav to make or take for a party is BBQ Kielbasa....

decide how many Kielbasas you'll need........ for that many people I'd probably go with at least 4

in a large pan or pot::

heat 1 cup grape jelly and 1 cup ketchup and 1 tsp chili powder for EACH kielbasa. ( so 4 kielbasas = 4/4/4 )

I heat the mixture until smooth, then cut up the kielbasa into 1/2" chunks, add to the BBQ mix and let it simmer for as many hours as I can. the longer you simmer it, the better it is.

if you like it with a bit more "bite" you can add more chili powder :-)

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Oh Goody!
    An OT recipe thread

Prairie Woman has an insanely easy app recipe people scarf like there's no tomorrow:
    Sprinkle Club crackers with shredded parmesan (NOT from a can!) or brown sugar then wrap with 1/2 slice of bacon and bake on a rack until the bacon is crisp.
    Cheap, easy and YUM!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Meatballs with Spag sauce or the grape jelly yummy ones. buffalo chicken dip, Chips and salsa, crab dip, or even mac and cheese in the crockpot. Whatever you make...make it easy so you can enjoy your guests!

1 members found this post helpful.

Get a crock pot, little smokies (1 package), thick cut raw bacon, one box brown sugar, and wooden toothpicks. Cut the bacon into thirds, roll around middle of Smokie, put toothpick through it, put in layers in crock pot, pour brown sugar over it until covered. Cover and plug in crock pot, and a few hours later you have a tasty, cholesterol laden, finger food. Your guests will love you, and your doctor will hate you.

Also, premade hors d'oeuvres (or however you spell it) come in huge quantities at your grocery, or warehouse store. Pigs in a blanket, assorted bake and serve appetizers, frozen artichoke and nacho dip are made by TGI Fridays at the grocery, Nancy's brand appetizers are good, and they make little quiches, appetizers, etc. Make sure you have non-alcoholic drinks for anyone driving, or who doesn't drink. They sell huge jugs of premade sweet and unsweet iced tea too.

The 1/2 oz frozen meatballs, with spaghetti sauce, or BBQ sauce (I like KC Masterpiece original),
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Baked Brie:
    Small round of brie cheese
    Pilsbury puff pastry sheets
    Brown sugar
    Seedless raspberry jam
    Maple syrup- not pancake syrup

Thaw puff pastry sheet and unroll. Spread a little jam on bottom in middle just a little bigger than brie wheel. Place brie wheel on jam. Put more jam on top of brie. Fold over puff pastry and flip the folded side down on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for approx 15 minutes until just starting to get lightly brown.

Put about a 1/4 cup brown sugar on top and drizzle with maple syrup. Return to oven for 5 minutes. Take out of oven and let cool about 10 minutes. If you don't let it cool it is too liquid.

You can add pecans/walnuts/almonds, use apricot jam instead of raspberry or skip the jam. I guess you could add craisins or raisiins.

I normally serve with crackers or French baguette and red seedless grapes or sliced apples or all of the above.

I have people specifically ask me to bring this to parties. It is actually really very easy. It is still good even after it has cooled to room temperature.

I have used the large wheel of brie from Cost Co and just used both sheets of puff pastry. It is a little harder to wrap the wheel but can be done. Since there are two puff pastry sheets per box you can do two versions of the baked brie.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

My neighbor is the queen of the Buffalo Chicken dip. She introduced me to it, and OMG, it's like crack. Awesome stuff.

She also does the crockpot full of meatballs in marinara with rolls and sliced mozzarella on the side. Make your own little meatball sandwich. They're quite good, and when you buy the meatballs at Sam's, there's not a huge time investment required.

I like to serve chili, but we're in Texas so.... Kind of a staple. It's usually deer chili around here.

Veggie trays and chip bowls with a couple dips (ranch, lipton onion, hummus) keep people busy.

The crockpot full of queso is always a hit. Skip the salsa or rotel though. (The Texan who suggested either should be ashamed of herself! ) Throw the entire block of velveeta in with 2-3 diced jalapenos, 2-3 diced roma tomatoes (de-seeded), a small red onion diced, and fistful of finely chopped cilantro. Prep work take a bit more time, but it's worth it. Standard salsa/rotel-made queso is foul, IMO.
    Jer 29: 11-13

Thanks for all the inspiration - I'm going to have to borrow a second crockpot, this is going to be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by ellebeaux View Post

Yeah, I'm debating whether to do the chili/hot dip bit since there may be lots of young children involved. I want to serve something warm though.

I'll decide once more people RSVP and report back on how it went

When kids are involved sometimes I will do little pigs in a blanket and a tray of Mac n cheese.

Has anybody mentioned simple things like grapes, cheese and nuts?
    Like - it wouldn't hurt to have something healthy would it, or maybe it would!

You could put a tray of chicken wings in the oven - and serve with a dip.

Or a tray of those little teeny sausages, baked, served with Mississippi mustard sauce.

Sounds like fun...I'm hungry.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique