The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The church is a community of believers. Religion is not the church. Religion is your belief system. It crosses all lines of denomination. You don't have to attend church to be religious. I've never understood having a beef with "organized religion"...you can pray anywhere, and with the millions of churches in the country, if you want to attend one you just need to try til you find the right fit.
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

1 members found this post helpful.

I was raised in the Catholic Church, went to Catholic grade school and high school. I love the traditions, the latin, kneeling - old school, I guess. It was beautiful and mysterious. Not so much anymore - it's more like "social hour" now. And I can't seem to get past all of the abuse, the cover ups, the inconsistencies. I am encouraged by our new pope though - he seems to "get it".

As far as actually going to church, the last time I went was a memorial service on All Saints Day - where they honor all the dead of the past year which included my DH.

I would like to attend more - but, I need a more old school church - I know it sounds silly, but I find more comfort in pews and marble and stained glass. So, until I find that, I guess I'll be content with doing my own thing.
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Quote Originally Posted by Wellspotted View Post
    Do you still believe in God, but not in the Church, or whatever organization tries to organize your religion?

Ever been so disappointed or let down by your local church, temple, house of worship -- the people that run it -- that you've just wanted to run out screaming and never go back?

Do you keep the faith, by yourself, and manage just fine without a corporate body of worshiping believers?

If so, how do you do it?

Not trying to be nosy, just wondering what other people do who have lost their faith in their local body of worshipers but still have faith in God ...

I'm not trying to conduct a survey, just looking for tips on how to get along ...
    Yes I believe in The lord and I pray, I believe Christ died for my sins.
    I have no church that I belong to.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

2 members found this post helpful.

The need for community. I recommend these two books. 1. The Faith Instinct. 2. God is not great; how religion poisons everything.

they'll help you figure it out.
    ~~~~~*~*~*~*~*~
    “ride your own horse” from sayings for life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Horse View Post
    I was raised in the Catholic Church, went to Catholic grade school and high school. I love the traditions, the latin, kneeling - old school, I guess. It was beautiful and mysterious. Not so much anymore - it's more like "social hour" now. And I can't seem to get past all of the abuse, the cover ups, the inconsistencies. I am encouraged by our new pope though - he seems to "get it".

As far as actually going to church, the last time I went was a memorial service on All Saints Day - where they honor all the dead of the past year which included my DH.

I would like to attend more - but, I need a more old school church - I know it sounds silly, but I find more comfort in pews and marble and stained glass. So, until I find that, I guess I'll be content with doing my own thing.
    Tiger Horse, I think I am your Episcopalian soulmate! If I ever were to convert, I would want a church with the Latin Mass. As it is, I miss the formality of Morning Prayer that used to be the weekly service in the Episcopal Church, beautiful liturgy including sung canticles, and Eucharist as well. I would go for the pews and stained glass and carving more than the social hour.

Think I would be quite content going veiled in a mantilla and worshipping in company but alone at the same time.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

The Unity Church might be of interest to you. It's not the same as Unitarian Universalists. I attended a few services years ago, mainly to see some sense when the devout Christian guy I was dating wouldn't give up on converting me. BTW, he says Unity is a "cult", which it is not at all. Being a more spiritual than regligious sort of person, I enjoyed the sermons I heard there. Not too preachy at all.

http://www.unity.org/about-us/our-philosophy

Quote Originally Posted by cyberbay View Post

I see again and again that if someone is 'searching for God,' he/she is really, in all honesty, searching for a relationship with him/herself.
    Now, that is quite the thought-provoking observation!
    Topline Leather -- Unique woven crystal & gemstone browbands

Topline Leather's Etsy Shop

Quote Originally Posted by Wellspotted View Post
    Do you still believe in God, but not in the Church, or whatever organization tries to organize your religion?

Ever been so disappointed or let down by your local church, temple, house of worship -- the people that run it -- that you've just wanted to run out screaming and never go back?

Do you keep the faith, by yourself, and manage just fine without a corporate body of worshiping believers?

If so, how do you do it?

Not trying to be nosy, just wondering what other people do who have lost their faith in their local body of worshipers but still have faith in God ...

I'm not trying to conduct a survey, just looking for tips on how to get along ...
    You don't need a congregation nor a building to worship.

Nod politely and change the subject in conversation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    OP, you might really like the Unitarian church. They accommodate all beliefs and non belief. A good friend of mine is currently at UU seminary and really has her head screwed on right. If you have one near you, give it a try. You might be pleasantly surprised.
    This
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

Quote Originally Posted by cyberbay
    I see again and again that if someone is 'searching for God,' he/she is really, in all honesty, searching for a relationship with him/herself.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberbay
    Show me religion and I'll show you a troubled person who has probably suffered abuse. It takes great courage to face down the fear and panic of an abused psyche, and pitstopping at Religion is alluring and relieves that individual of responsibility. Just at the time when responsibility toward oneself is most needed.
    I'd qualify this only to limit it to the dogmatic denominations with harsh doctrinal rules that are ridiculous such as the two ultra-conservative synods of the Lutheran Church, the Wisconsin and the Missouri, which to a greater degree (WELS) or somewhat lesser (MS) hold women as second class humans in various ways, among other absurd things. (I was raised mainstream Lutheran so I'm most familiar with Lutheran differences.)

I think the churches that aren't big on rules and guilt and directing the lives of their adherents probably don't fit so well with your model as the darker controlling ones.
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

For me, the Universe is God. I feel it everywhere and am always in connection with other living things. I think this is what is meant by "whenever two or more are gathered...". Those two could be a human and a human or a human and a horse doing a beautiful half pass, if they are together in peace and in the flow, there is love.

I know that sounds like total hippy wackness. Any religion sounds wacky when you really consider it objectively. Virgin birth? Boy, what young girl in a bind wouldn't like to try that excuse? Buddha's "suchness"? Really? WTH? What resonates with one person can fall as dead flat nonsense on another. I think that serves to show us the greatness of rich variability of the Universe.

I agree with the poster who said that the search for religion is really a search for knowing the self.

Quote Originally Posted by DressageFancy View Post
    Jesus had his disciples set aside the first day of the week to commune with him. (Communion service) He also said "Where two or three meet together I will be there."

Always hated that bit of Scripture. If you're by yourself then where is Jesus?

Wink

Camstock... I'm with you there, altho I don't call it "God." I just call it, well, I call it "just is the way it is." It's all right in front of us, tangible, and experienced through our own senses.

Another reason to bolster why I think religion derails people: I do think that the spiritual number is the number two, and underlies why I feel that the organized religion(s) I know, namely Christianity, is hocus-pocus. Because it is predicated on the number three (Father, son, holy spirit). Two? Just the two halves of a self, and happiness, fulfillment, etc., is when those two halves find each other. Even if it's an on again/off again relationship. I see this number replicated everywhere in Nature.

And common sense and being averse to cruelty, the blatant misogyny (sp?) and Nature-hating that fills the Bible... and so called 'sacred' texts of other religions. Phew.

Have You Ever Given Up on Organized Religion?

Yeah, when I was about 6 years old or so. At the time i was just bored with religion and the hypocrisy of people that went to the church and pray and swear how they would be forgiving, good to one another, blah, blah and then just do the opposite. I was always very prone to question things, so the more i learned to use reason and logic, the less i understood the existence of a god. I'm not saying there isn't some sort of all powerful entity, but i highly doubt it.

I have no problem with other people's beliefs as long as they don't shove down my face. Organized religion, however, is something I can't stand. The Inquisition, the Crusades, the neverending wars in the Middle east... I could go on for a long time. The world would be better off without it.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DottieHQ View Post
    You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberbay View Post
    Two? Just the two halves of a self, and happiness, fulfillment, etc., is when those two halves find each other. Even if it's an on again/off again relationship. I see this number replicated everywhere in Nature.
    This is the idea Plato had about humans. I don't agree with your whole post, but I do like this part, and your idea of the two halves in relationship even when it's an on again/off again one, is very comforting to me right now. It's also very much in line with what I think God has been telling me. Thanks for posting, cyberbay.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

The Unitarians are pretty good about tolerance.

I'm episcopalian. We don't care what others think. We think people should let others live their lives, as long as they don't hurt the innocent.. My 2 horses are Lutherans. They too don't care what others think and are pretty tolerate of others. , Although I think the Lutherans are a bit too rigid in their beliefs. We episcopalians don't go out and try to change others to our beliefs. We think the Jews might be right. And so we just try to do what is good for us, and leave the "sinning" issues to those who love to feel guilty and repent.

My husband and I had a Unitarian minister come out to my MIL's house for our wedding. Suited us.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by Niennor View Post
    Have You Ever Given Up on Organized Religion?

Yeah, when I was about 6 years old or so. At the time i was just bored with religion and the hypocrisy of people that went to the church and pray and swear how they would be forgiving, good to one another, blah, blah and then just do the opposite. I was always very prone to question things, so the more i learned to use reason and logic, the less i understood the existence of a god. I'm not saying there isn't some sort of all powerful entity, but i highly doubt it.

I have no problem with other people's beliefs as long as they don't shove down my face. Organized religion, however, is something I can't stand. The Inquisition, the Crusades, the neverending wars in the Middle east... I could go on for a long time. The world would be better off without it.
    This^^. I'm a complete unbeliever and I'm good with that.
    Let us ride together; blowing mane and hair; careless of the weather; miles ahead of care...Fat Cat Farm Sport Horses