The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Then shop away!!! It is so not for me!
    That said, everyone I know says they love their CR-V's. Also have a friend that loves their new CX-5 and she has had Subarus. Intersting to note Mazda has ended their partnership with Ford.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Shelly - my hubby is the same! He did such a good job on getting a great deal on the CRV that he has three of my relatives lined up for his help next!

I just need some good car selling ju-ju now . . . I thought there would be more interest in mine than there has been.
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

Carolina-a friend reminded me of something they've done for vacations, and to avoid putting major miles on their car. For special trips with lots of luggage they rent a vehicle. That way they can get a great deal by shopping around, have plenty of luggage space, and can try vehicles they might be interested in owning someday. I know it sounds crazy, but it works for them, and I've heard of other people that do it also.

Be careful about hosing out an Element, since the sound equipment and other stuff is low to the floor, and if water gets under the plastic floor it could cause problems. I love the plastic floor, and wish it was an option for all cars. It's so nice not to worry about a little water getting tracked in, was great when I had the dog, and is so easy to clean. I also hate trying to find floor mats that don't wander around or bunch up. My Element also gets great attention at the local dealership for servicing, because the service rep wants it when I get another car. Because mine is a 2003 model I assumed it would go to the auction, but he told me that they don't do that with used Elements. There is a constant list of people who want them, and they don't even go on the resale lot.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Subarus are actually BUILT for owners to take care of them. Something about how all the parts that need maintenance are accessible and don't require you to pull the engine. I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention during that part of the schpiel, but if you're doing your own work on the car, I think that would be a big selling point.

I have a 2009 Toyota Venza, which is technically a crossover. I LOVE it. I've only had it 3 months but that did include a 2000 mile drive from SC to CO. It handles great and I love the electric steering. The fuel milage is pretty good at 27-30 hwy/22-24 city. I cannot say enough nice things about my car!
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Pretty shocked that nobody has mentioned the Chevy Equinox or GMC Terrain. Then again, this board is pretty much full of import drivers when discussing anything outside of towing rigs. I want you guys to know that the domestics have made HUGE strides in the last few years in every category from initial quality to cost of ownership to resale value. If you must have an import, look outside of Japan. Both Korean companies (Kia and Hyundai) have strong vehicles in this segment.

Don't mind me. I just spent 12 years in the car business

3 members found this post helpful.

I ended up with a Mitsubishi Endeavor and LOVE it! It drives beautifully, just really "fits" me and my lifestyle with the dogs, horses and the antiquing that I do. It is GREAT on gas and (knock on wood) has never had one thing wrong with it. I never would have looked at them at all, but was at the Cadillac dealership to look at a used Cadillac SUV and someone drove up with this one as a trade in and I could not pass up the deal (sticker was still on it for $28K and I got it for $19 and then my sad trade in made it $14).

I call it my Mitzy-mobile and will drive it until it dies lol! I never feel that way about a vehicle, but this one just suits me.

I have owned two Hoda CRVs (the original 1997 model and a 2007 model) and Love this vehicle!!! I will definitely buy another one when it's time to replace my current CRV.

First, the cargo space is great ( I can haul 8 bags of shavings plus 3 bags of horse feed in the back, no problem). The car gets good gas mileage, (about 24 city, 28 highway for my all wheel drive model), has great visability, is comfortable to drive and handles bettre than any other car I've driven in inclement weather, including snow and ice. My current CRV has over 100,00 miles on it and it's required no repairs other than routine maintenance.

I was I had the navigation system and the back up camera on my model, but I will include them on my next CRV.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Very happy Forester owner here--108,000 miles on a 2007 very basic model with no issues, other than regular oil changes and tires. Average 29mph on the highway, can haul a ton of stuff in the back, and it handles very well. I test drove the RAV, CRV and the Forester--all are similar in size and style, but the CRV didn't fit my 6'1" hubby well. My brother has a RAV and I love it, but it is bigger and gets less gas mileage than my Subaru. It also had a weird issue with temperature and starting last year (computer problem...very $$ to fix).

The Ford Escape cost more than my Subaru, and some of the other "compact SUVs" aren't very compact, nor good on mileage. Of course, I love my Subarus; I'm on my second one, and they run forever! They are easy to work on, too, according to my mechanic.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

1 members found this post helpful.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Don't rule out crossovers. I have a Traverse that has amazing space and seat configurations. I am currently out of love with it because of installed carseat configurations, but it was great with two kids and will be again as soon as the middle is out of a car seat and in a booster

Had a used Lexus rx 350, until June. LOVED LOVED LOVED IT! Was cute, got me through snow in the blue ridge mountains, great gas mileage, lots of room...but with the second kid on the way and a 100lb lab puppy, DH talked me into a Tahoe...which I HATE. I recommend it to everyone in the market for a new vehicle!
    ---^v---^v---^v----------------------^v---^v---^v---
    For a moment there, you bored me to death

Love my CRV - 2006 with the swing open tailgate, no more stretching to close the hatch.

I just purchased a 2013 Toyota Rav4 XLE in August. The moment I sat in it, I knew it was the car for me. I also test drove the Juke (love it, but my head bumps the ceiling) and the Buick Encore.

I freaking love my Rav4. It has a fantastic cargo space.. IIRC, the largest in its class. I get great mileage (combined right now at 26 with city than hwy), which is better than my old Saturn L200. The redesign on the Rav4 is excellent on use of space. It is slightly shorter length-wise than my old car, but feels huge inside. It is very nimble - I still giggle a little bit when I have to make a tight turn (old car was like a boat!).

The only thing I hate are the front headrests. I have to keep my seat a few clicks farther back than I prefer (I like to sit up straight when I drive). I have a couple of ideas of a workaround, but I haven't done them yet.

Love my 2013 Forester!

My SIL has a 2010 Escape and it's on its 4th transmission and the AC doesn't work anymore.

The ones that catch my eye when I'm out and about are the Forrester (LOVE it... But wonder about cost of them and maintenance), Nissan murano or rogue, Ford edge, Chevy equinox, gmc Acadia. The kia's are a lot cuter than they used to be and sounds like they're safer than they were, but I really don't know much. Oh and the volvos... Oh my goodness how I LOVE the look of the volvo suvs, but they're probably way past my price point and I've heard expensive to maintain.
    I definitely need to look at those things- maintenance reliability, safety ratings, mpg, etc.
    Right now I'm in the parking lot creeper stage of car shopping... Inching along past cars that catch my eye, driving/walking out of my way to read the model name on the rear of a car, asking clients at work if they like their car, etc. I was walking into the HR building last week when I wanted to see what type of car was parked near me. Checked the back of it out (murano), walked in. Receptionist, concerned, asked if there was something wrong with that car parked there. Heh heh.
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

My brother and SIL just recently got a brand new Ford Edge. I've seen them on the road, but this was the first time I rode in one. I have to say, I was VERY impressed with it. It's very sturdy, has lots of bells and whistles, and they said they average about 26+mpg.

I have a Kia Sportage, that I just love, and I regularly average 30+mpg with it. However, mine is manual transmission, so I think that plays a bit into the mpg average. Also, when compared to my brother's Edge, my car is SUPER light.
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    Pretty shocked that nobody has mentioned the Chevy Equinox or GMC Terrain. Then again, this board is pretty much full of import drivers when discussing anything outside of towing rigs. I want you guys to know that the domestics have made HUGE strides in the last few years in every category from initial quality to cost of ownership to resale value. If you must have an import, look outside of Japan. Both Korean companies (Kia and Hyundai) have strong vehicles in this segment.

Don't mind me. I just spent 12 years in the car business

That's what I am looking for as soon as I can afford a nice down payment: a GMC Terrain! I adore my GMC cars.
    True Bearing Equestrian
    St. Helena Island, SC

I've got a 2003 CR-V with 150,000 miles and am going to drive it alone from Illinois down to Texas next week and feel completely comfortable doing so. I was never a big fan of SUVs but it's been very handy. I go pick up grain and shavings all the time and it's so convenient to not have to go home first to get the truck. Mine's a 4 cylinder manual, so gas mileage is pretty good.

Once this one dies I'm thinking I'll end up with an Escape as I want to stick with a manual and the CR-V only comes in automatic now.
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

Loved the Edge when I rented it the first time. Once I rode as a passenger though, not so much.

That was one of the things I did this time around when shopping. My car ends up being the one we take places when DH and I travel together, and I have some lower back and hip problems that make sitting difficult in some positions. That is one of the main reasons to trade my sedan now -- so I made sure to ride as a passenger on the test drives. Very surprised that the Edge felt so different, but it did. I suspect it is because all my aches/stiffness/nerve problems are on the left side of my body, so being the driver in that situation is easier, as you have more wiggle room on the outside wall of the car.

In any event, if I had never ridden as a passenger in the Edge, that would have been at the top of my shopping list.

The new Explorerer though, not so much. Big, roomy, but visibility was terrible.

Happy Shopping!
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

I have a little crossover SUV from Jeep (Compass). I know the older ones get horrible reviews, but not sure about the 12-13 models. I just bought mine in February, and I love it. I can haul dogs and feed and hay and it gets good gas mileage. Also, my mentally challenged 6'5 brother can ride comfortably in the back. He loves to ride in it. I bought the one with the touring package. I drove a different Jeep and it drove horribly, but my drives really well. I think the touring package makes a difference.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :