The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Another vote for the CRV. I got a 2013 back in July as an upgrade from a civic and I love it!

I have a 2012 Rav4 and really like it. I got the 6cyl, which has plenty of pep. It has tons of cargo space and handles great. Gas mileage is around 24/30.

The one thing I don't like about it is that although it has a nice solid feel to it, road and engine noise is very noticeable. I traded in a 2005 VW Jetta for this, and the Jetta was so much quieter.

I really liked how the VW Tiguan handled, but it did not have enough cargo space for me. Same with the Mercedes GLK and the Rogue.

I tried the old style Ford Escape, hated it, but I think the new ones look pretty nice. If they'd come out before I bought my Rav4, I probably would have tried it.

I also tried the CRV, but even with the top of the line options, it still felt 'cheap' compared to the Rav4, and I like the handling of my Rav4 better.

If you're going to be living where the snow flies, I highly recommend spending a little extra for the 4WD.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

I love Subaru Foresters. In fact, as long as they make them that is the only car I want to buy. I had a '99, bought in 2002 with about 35,000 miles on it. It did have one major repair after 100,000 miles (head gaskets - a known issue with some of the earlier models 2004 and prior, so I expected I would eventually have to get them done). Still worth it to me for the longevity and reliability I got out of that car.

Traded it in after ten years when it had 195,000 miles on it and got a 2005 with 29,000 miles (which now has 55,000 and has required zero aside from oil changes and a new battery, since it still had the original which was 7 years old.)

They handle like a car, get decent gas mileage (usually mid-high 20s), can hold a lot of gear, stick to the road thanks to the AWD (and I never get stuck in snow or mud), and hold their value well.

For those of you with Subaru's. Hubby says because they are AWD if I ever get a flat or have an issue with one tire, that automatically means I have to get two tires. As the pairs will need to be even or it messes up something (differentials possibly... have completely forgotten already) Is this actually true? Lol I mean I totally trust what he says but with all the people that have them does everyone actually do this? I mean everyone seems to say that beyond oil changes and regular stuff you'd do on every car there isn't much difference. No one has mentioned anything about extra costs because of the AWD or single tire issues...

Carolinagirl, no, it's not true!
    We bought a Subaru Outback after I wound up with one for a rental while in Maine.
    I fell in love with the car! Great gas mileage, handled beautifully, roomy, comfy with all the bells and whistles. They threw in the dog gate but I prefer my boys buckled up. And Subaru is now including the dog harness/seatbelt!
    Can't say enough good things!
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.

Actually it depends on the wear of the tire. I did get new tires after one flat since they were worn but not right away. They put the better tires on the rear.

Having driven rentals with no AWD on Los Angeles freeways I am getting another Forrester. That is part of the thing about driving an AWD car, you get very use to having all four wheels on the ground at all times. I thought I could give up my AWD but after the rentals over the summer I just can't.

My CR-V is AWD and because I'm terrible at remembering to rotate my tires, I tend to wear my fronts faster than my rears. When buying tires I've been told because of the AWD that I have to buy all four, not just two. And it's not just the tire people telling me that, I've asked around and that's been the consensus. So that part does suck.
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    For those of you with Subaru's. Hubby says because they are AWD if I ever get a flat or have an issue with one tire, that automatically means I have to get two tires. As the pairs will need to be even or it messes up something (differentials possibly... have completely forgotten already) Is this actually true? Lol I mean I totally trust what he says but with all the people that have them does everyone actually do this? I mean everyone seems to say that beyond oil changes and regular stuff you'd do on every car there isn't much difference. No one has mentioned anything about extra costs because of the AWD or single tire issues...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sobriska View Post
    Carolinagirl, no, it's not true!

Yes, it IS true! And it's really more that you have to buy FOUR, not just two for the same axle, with AWD.

But seriously...how often have you gotten a flat tire? Is that going to be the breaking point on an other-wise raved-about car?

If you have 4wd, your tires need to match on the same axle, so even if you get a 4wd car, you will need to buy two tires if one gets damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    I've had three flats. In one case the tires were approaching replacement anyway, so I just bought 4. In the second case, it could be patched, so no problem. In the third case, the tires were almost brand new and it could not be patched. In that case I did buy only one tire, but the other three had very, very little wear.

Provided you have a full size spare, you can include it when rotating your tires so you actually have five tires with similar wear available at all times. If one bites it, you replace it permanently with the spare. That means you pretty much have to buy 5 tires at a time instead of 4, but they will also last somewhat longer.

Realistically, tires aren't THAT expensive compared to most other types of repairs, and flat tires aren't such a common occurrence that I would really worry about it.

Agree with Furlong, it really depends on the state of the tires. 40,000 miles can come up fast....each time...

Quote Originally Posted by 4Martini View Post
    I was looking at similar cars and ended up getting a VW Sportwagen with the turbo diesel. The things that swayed me were the pepiness and mileage. Most of the little SUVs had no get up and go. I have also gotten 50+ mpg in my car on the highway for hours. The only barn negative is that it has pretty low clearance. It's also a top safety pick which is important to me.

I would definitely take one for a test drive.
    Hubby and I bought a Passat TDI earlier this year, and were impressed for the same reasons that you were.....get up and go, and fuel mileage. We love our VW, and agree that it was the smartest vehicle purchase that we could have made. We got a lot of car for the money, it drives and handles like a dream, and the quality is top-notch (coming from someone who has driven Hondas all of her life!).

I haven't driven the Sportwagen, but you should definitely check it out!

I also have a Ford Escape (2011), 4wd (all wheel drive), and I LOVE it Perfect for horse-stuff, dogs, all terrain, great on snow, good gas mileage (I get 24 mpg regularly).
    The back seats are super easy to fold down, and is plenty of room for 3 large dogs, feed, saddles, etc. It is our go-to vehicle for anything that we don't need the big truck for (i.e: pulling the big trailers). I also pull small trailers behind it easily.
    LOVE my Ford Escape,.....

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    Because my personal car is ancient and high mileage, I rent A LOT for long distance trips. I have recently driven the new Ford Escape and loved it! I have had one twice, and was surprised at the cargo space. Rear seat folds flat, which is a must for dog crates. Right now, this is what I would buy.

I have a mazda CX-5 AWD. It handles incredibly well, much more like a sporty car than an SUV. The gas mileage is fantastic. The trade-off for that is that it lacks pep, which is my biggest complaint. It is great for cruising on the highway, and stop/go city traffic, just not particular zippy.

I drove rav-4 and CRV, and neither handled nearly as well although had better acceleration. I didn't care for the interior of the CRV, it was boxy and lacked style. The rav4 I liked better, but their safety rating was pretty poor compared to the others.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

The bad roads around here eat tires and I replace the shredded tire, not all, on my AWD. In the space of a month I had to buy 3 tires, so I went ahead and did the 4th anyways. That was in July. I just bought another new tire Friday. I have no idea what DH hit, but it left a hell of a gash.

I just traded in my Ford Escape for a Ford CMax hybrid. I have three dogs that I take almost everywhere and there is enough room. I leave the seat folded down. I've averaged 44 mpg.

I just bought the 2013 Ford Escape and love it!
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

Flove my Rav4 - would get another if I had to replace it. My mechanic said that Hondas, Toyotas and Nissans were the best as far as not having to work on them too often.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!