The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Food poisoning or stomach bug- either way, any advice would be appreciated

I am unwell at the moment. I am very thankful this is a short term kind of thing and feel for those with morning sickness or other issues. At the moment I am able to leave the bathroom as long as I keep my trusty bucket nearby, but I am still making frequent return trips. I feel queasy and have an upset tummy. I know you are supposed to let these things run their course, but if anyone has anything useful they want to share I am all ears! Sorry for the details, but I am hoping someone has a good idea for something soothing.

Ugh..that's no fun, I hope you feel better soon! My go to things when I'm in that situation are small amounts of ginger ale, cheapo popsicles (the kind without real fruit juice in them) and, when I think I can keep something solid down, saltine crackers.

Good point on the ginger ale. Mom used to give me that when I was a kid and felt bad. It's worth a try, thanks!

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Gatorade to replace the fluids & electrolytes you are losing.

When you can handle solid food, something bland.
    If you can, try plain yogurt - nothing with any sweetener added - to help replace the good gut flora.

And if this turns out to be more than a 24h bug, call your doctor.
    Dehydration can become a serious problem.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

a past student of mine (who once worked in an ER) said they'd have patients lie on their right sides when they were puking. That's where the sphincter is that empties the stomach into the small intestine, so maybe it would help. I always find that lying perfectly still helps along with 7-up (or ginger ale) and saltines. Feel better soon!
    Erin
    Dodon Farm - Home of Salute The Truth, Thoroughbred Stallion and on Facebook
    The Retired Racehorse Training Project, a 501(c)3 Non profit organization.

I always have Probioplex on hand. This is what I have (but I've never used that store).

When I was young my mom was very very sick and a doctor told her to start taking it daily. That along with some other changes turned her life around. I don't need it daily, but at the first sign of sickness, this is what I go for. I'll take it for a bug, questionable food, or even if I've had one too many drinks that night.

It's not cheap, but a little goes a long way. I probably go through one a year using it once or twice a month.

It might not help you right now unless you can get someone to run out to a vitamin store for you, but I cannot recommend it enough for the future!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Fourteen Months Living and Working in Costa Rica

Yikes, I feel for you. Stomach bugs are the worst! If you're throwing up, tiny sips of ginger ale, and some ice chips may be okay. Once you can do food, do bananas, rice, stuff that's really bland.

Ditto the dehydration post. I had a stomach bug for 48-72 hours. I do.not. Handle throwing up well at all so everyone thought I was being dramatic. I had to drive MYSELF to the doctor, where they immediately determined I was very dehydrated and gave me IV fluids. They were borderline on sending me to the ER afterward, but I assured them I would do my best to keep fluids down and keep in touch if I couldn't.

Hope you're feeling better soon!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Thanks for the sympathy and good ideas. I feel very yucky right now but I am hoping it is short lived. DH has been dispatched to the store for ginger ale.

I have found Natren's Healthy Trinity to be very good for my stomach. It got me out of some serious stomach trouble some years back.

I keep a couple of packages of Kool-Aid around for those times. It's easy to
    digest, has sugar for energy, vitamin C for the immune system, and helps keep you hydrated.

High Fructose Corn Syrup upsets my stomach and gives me acid reflux so things like most ginger ale and 7-Up are out. The Kool-Aid is cheap, lasts forever on the shelf, and is easy to make.

Christa

I prefer to use half Gatorade/Powerade and Water. Too much sugar in the Ade straight keeps the diarrhea going.

And since most don't mention this, alas with the diarrhea, your wee tushy will be raw. Desitin Creamy is your friend.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

1 members found this post helpful.

Ditto ice water and sprite or gingerale. Toast, plain white rice, or saltines are good if/when you feel you can handle food.

I hate stomach bugs. I've barfed through my entire pregnancy, but it hasn't been anywhere near as unpleasant as the cramping and nausea associated with a bad bug. And my stepson has brought home some real doozies that had our entire family wondering if we'd live through it. Nasty.

If you have food poisoning, if it's only barfing, and if the item you think triggered it was consumed within only a few hours of beginning to puke, then take heart. Some food poisonings are toxicity reactions that only last 12-24 hours. You'll probably puke to the point of exhaustion in that time, but once it's done, it's done. If diarrhea is present, you're unfortunately in for a longer haul.
    Jer 29: 11-13

Quote Originally Posted by Erin Pittman View Post
    a past student of mine (who once worked in an ER) said they'd have patients lie on their right sides when they were puking. That's where the sphincter is that empties the stomach into the small intestine, so maybe it would help. I always find that lying perfectly still helps along with 7-up (or ginger ale) and saltines. Feel better soon!
    This is true.. I had an RN tell me that years ago when I worked in a Nursing home.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

1 members found this post helpful.

Sounds like you have a stomach bug or ate something a little *off* rather than having actual food poisoning. If this is the case, you are lucky!!! I had food poisoning once (bad hamburger at a diner!) and in addition to the symptoms that you are having, it literally felt like someone was sticking knives in my stomach and twisting them every time I moved! It was the most miserable 10 days I think I've ever spent. They told me it would last 10 days and that's exactly how long it lasted, although it did start to ease up a bit after about a week.

The ONLY thing that my stomach could tolerate during this entire time was sherbert. I don't normally eat sherbert (prefer really good ice cream ), but when a friend suggested trying sherbert since I couldn't eat or drink anything else, it worked! And it was quite good! Toward the end I was able to tolerate a few saltine crackers too.

Good luck to you. I hope you start to feel better really soon.

carbonated drinks make me even more queasy when ill, so you might want to skip the ginger ale.
    My go-to is a tablespoon of honey, a pinch of ground ginger, a pinch of salt, and two pinches of no-salt (potassium) in a glass of water.
    Don't even try to eat solids until you experience real hunger.

You've gotten excellent advice here - just wanted to drop by and say I hope you're feeling better soon!

Thanks for all the good ideas and good thoughts! Some of the stories definitely remind me it could be much worse. I did pass out a couple of times mid day and had a hard time staying conscious so my dear, sweet, long suffering husband took me off to the doctor for some fluids. I hadn't kept anything down for a while before the IV so a couple hours of that and at least I feel functional. They also gave me some stuff for the nausea so that is better too. Hopefully that gets me over the worst. Saltines actually sound kind of good so I will take that as a good sign!

Once you can stomach stuff, the BRAT diet is a good go to. Speaking from someone with no colon (ie- constant diarrhea) this diet is great for getting some calories without upsetting your gut.
    http://familydoctor.org/familydoctor...t-stomach.html

My SO brought home the norovirus one evening from work. He was completely miserable and I called kaiser in the middle of the night. The person told me over the phone to DISCONTINUE ALL FLUIDS. By drinking fluids, you keep the puking and diarrhea system going. Quit drinking all fluids and you have something like 3-4 hours before the system runs its course. At the time, I thought that depriving him of fluids was a bit cruel, but he quit being sick just like she said.

Peppermints. Easy the woozies and great for postpuke breath. I've been chowing down on them recently, too. Hope you feel better soon!
    Clancy 17hh chestnut Dutch WB, '99. Owned and loved since '04 and still goin'!