The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What is needed to fix the US health system today...

A time machine....

If it had been mandated that insurance companies and hospitals had been "NOT FOR PROFIT" about 100 years ago. We wouldn't be in the mess we are in now....

This is not saying hospitals need to lose money or doctors need to be poor. But corporate greed is a big problem... And frivolous, over the top lawsuits don't help either.
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers. Wood Routed Stall and Farm Signs
    http://www.bluemooncustomsigns.com

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by grandprixjump View Post
    A time machine....

If it had been mandated that insurance companies and hospitals had been "NOT FOR PROFIT" about 100 years ago. We wouldn't be in the mess we are in now....

This is not saying hospitals need to lose money or doctors need to be poor. But corporate greed is a big problem... And frivolous, over the top lawsuits don't help either.
    Single payer. Ability for negotiation on of prices for medication. And a willingness to suffer the economic consequences of putting the healthcare industry in the shitter and the damage to stock prices and job losses. And what the hell - toss in exorbitant tax penalties for the wealthy who choose to vote against coverage for the masses but can pay cash for anything they need.

3 members found this post helpful.

A time machine....

FWIW many hospitals ARE not for profit. For example various catholic health care systems own about 20% of the health care facilities in the US(scary if you are pregnant or have an advance directive that specifies no feeding tube)

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    Single payer. Ability for negotiation on of prices for medication. And a willingness to suffer the economic consequences of putting the healthcare industry in the shitter and the damage to stock prices and job losses. And what the hell - toss in exorbitant tax penalties for the wealthy who choose to vote against coverage for the masses but can pay cash for anything they need.
    I think the strict limits the PPACA places on insurance companies is a good start. Health insurance and health care in general are not all that profitable, probably around 5%. If you want profits go into computer networking....about 20%
    I've always opposed single payer government health insurance because I want to be able to chose my plan and I don't want my health care decisions made by congress. Looking at this months fiasco I honestly can't see anyone wanting congress in charge of it.

In addition, the government is not particularly good at buying stuff, or evidently building websites. It is to prone to congressional favoritism, as in "You must buy your generic meds from the company in MY district"
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

A time machine....

Hospitals and health insurance companies here in Mass have long been mostly non-profit. 88% of hospitals here are not for profit. All the major, locally based, health insurance companies are. For profit insurance companies have never wanted to do business here. We have some of the highest health care costs in the country...not because of profit seeking, but because of the large concentration of teaching hospitals with cutting edge everything, large staffs and because the sickest patients come here to get treatment. Some plans are trying to deal with that by covering you more generously if you seek care at facility that is not so expensive...you don't really NEED to go to Mass General for a straightfoward broken leg or a sinus infection .

1 members found this post helpful.

Single payer and low cost doctor education. In addition, did you know that doctor's residency spots are paid for through medicare? And even though we have increased the numbers in med schools we haven't increased residency spots? We need to be able to educate doctors without loading them up with extraordinary debt that they they have to recoup through patient fees for a starter.

And then, single payer, based on Canada's system.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    FWIW many hospitals ARE not for profit. For example various catholic health care systems own about 20% of the health care facilities in the US(scary if you are pregnant or have an advance directive that specifies no feeding tube)

I think the strict limits the PPACA places on insurance companies is a good start. Health insurance and health care in general are not all that profitable, probably around 5%. If you want profits go into computer networking....about 20%
    I've always opposed single payer government health insurance because I want to be able to chose my plan and I don't want my health care decisions made by congress. Looking at this months fiasco I honestly can't see anyone wanting congress in charge of it.

In addition, the government is not particularly good at buying stuff, or evidently building websites. It is to prone to congressional favoritism, as in "You must buy your generic meds from the company in MY district"

sigh.....again I live in a country with single payer the Govt does NOT decide on my treatment that is upto MY doctor!!! If my dr decides generic drugs are NOT to be used guess what MY insurance pays for named brands.... No damn questions asked. I break my arm falling off my horse... It's covered.... NO questions out fault! I help somebody in a car accident.... I don't worry about being sued because we have something called the Good Samaritan Act!

To be truthful, I'm bloody glad I don't live in the USA.(and I know this whole Health issue you have is just mind boggling to a lot of the world )... I'm getting the impression people really don't give a damn about their neighbours and it just makes me sad! Basic healthcare in a modern society shouldn't just be for the wealthy
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Quote Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
    sigh.....again I live in a country with single payer the Govt does NOT decide on my treatment that is upto MY doctor!!! If my dr decides generic drugs are NOT to be used guess what MY insurance pays for named brands.... No damn questions asked. I break my arm falling off my horse... It's covered.... NO questions out fault! I help somebody in a car accident.... I don't worry about being sued because we have something called the Good Samaritan Act!

To be truthful, I'm bloody glad I don't live in the USA.(and I know this whole Health issue you have is just mind boggling to a lot of the world )... I'm getting the impression people really don't give a damn about their neighbours and it just makes me sad! Basic healthcare in a modern society shouldn't just be for the wealthy
    The huge difference is that you live in CANADA and seem to have a much less intrusive governmental system. Does your government decide what schools serve for lunch? Ours pretty much does. And for example when the USDA wanted to reduce the amount of potatoes being served congressmen from potato producing areas were able to block the change because hash browns for breakfast and french fries for lunch is great for kids.
    BTW we also have Good Samaritan laws and I am in favor of universal coverage, just NOT by the government.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

1 members found this post helpful.

Default Fix it with

Cutting the CEO salaries of the insurance companies. Your providers work very hard and are educated to a high degree. They are on the front lines. CEOs are raking in all sorts of benefits. Cut the higher echelon of salaries.

Yes actually, our Gov't can and does step in when they believe welfare of children etc is compromised. Not sure about school lunches because not many schools here actually serve meals anymore, but many schools have banned "non healthy" foods! Governments have also stepped in when, for instance, a parent that doesn't believe in blood transfusions will not allow a child to have a life saving procedure. The medical professionials will seek an injunction (or something along those lines) to have the courts step in and "force" the parents to have the child "minor" have the life saving procedures. Very controversial!

Oh, and our universal healthcare will also NOT pay for any treatments that are considered NON approved (example some of those alternative treatments for cancer in Mexico BUT they will send people to places like the Mayo clinic if treatments that are proven are not available in Canada but are there!)

NO system is perfect........That's an impossiblility, but isn't it worth it to have peace of mind that when needed you don't have to worry that you or a loved one would have to make the decision "cancer treatment or food"?
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Quote Originally Posted by marianne View Post
    Cutting the CEO salaries of the insurance companies. Your providers work very hard and are educated to a high degree. They are on the front lines. CEOs are raking in all sorts of benefits. Cut the higher echelon of salaries.
    The PPACA limits the amount insurance companies pay in administrative costs, including salaries. If the insurance company does not spend most of its money on benefits they are required to send their customers rebates.

Quote Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
    Yes actually, our Gov't can and does step in when they believe welfare of children etc is compromised. Not sure about school lunches because not many schools here actually serve meals anymore, but many schools have banned "non healthy" foods! Governments have also stepped in when, for instance, a parent that doesn't believe in blood transfusions will not allow a child to have a life saving procedure. The medical professionials will seek an injunction (or something along those lines) to have the courts step in and "force" the parents to have the child "minor" have the life saving procedures. Very controversial!

Oh, and our universal healthcare will also NOT pay for any treatments that are considered NON approved (example some of those alternative treatments for cancer in Mexico BUT they will send people to places like the Mayo clinic if treatments that are proven are not available in Canada but are there!)

NO system is perfect........That's an impossiblility, but isn't it worth it to have peace of mind that when needed you don't have to worry that you or a loved one would have to make the decision "cancer treatment or food"?
    That is why I support universal health insurance with subsidies to lower income families. I just don't want government insurance to be my only non choice.

Our court system will intervene if a family's religious beliefs are putting a child in danger
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH