The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 418
  1. #101
    Join Date
    May. 2, 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    "me the people" does not have anything to do with "We the people" laws are passed by the party in change at the time not because of extreme entities such as the crazy stupid "tea party". I seriously doubt that the GOP will have much to do with governing the US in the future based on the actions of the party lately. However, the democrats were wrong to support the Iraq war based on the lies of the Bush administration, clearly democrats should have held the Bush administration hostage after finding out there was no "yellow cake" in Iraq. Democrats should have demanded all military out of Iraq and threatened to shutdown the government if the troops were not out by the next day.....
    And Iraq has to do with the topic How?
    "How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?" Julian Lennon



  2. #102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kathy s. View Post
    I am thankful that your friend's daughter is doing well and her outlook is great. But I have to continuously wonder how she would fare with allowing her parents to shop for insurance across state lines. Everyone seems to happily rely on the gov't for their healthcare instead of the free market. Tell me, what gov't program has succeeded without fraud, corruption, and overspending? I also think it is terribly insulting that the gov't regards people as children therefore, they can't be trusted to make their own life decisions, so the gov't has to do it for them. Holds their hand, so to speak...
    The reason that people can't shop for insurance policies across state lines is because insurance companies successfully lobbied for STATE, not federal regulation of the industry. Each state must approve of policies before they can be sold in each respective state.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Apr. 19, 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,533

    Default

    State's rights again.



  4. #104
    Join Date
    May. 2, 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time Rider View Post
    The reason that people can't shop for insurance policies across state lines is because insurance companies successfully lobbied for STATE, not federal regulation of the industry. Each state must approve of policies before they can be sold in each respective state.
    Exactly!! And who voted state/federal reps into office?
    "How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?" Julian Lennon


    1 members found this post helpful.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Oct. 2, 1999
    Location
    Mendocino County, CA: Turkey Vulture HQ
    Posts
    14,432

    Default

    I still want to know how "allowing companies to sell across state lines" helps. I put that in quotes because obviously we have national companies that sell health insurance in many states already.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket


    1 members found this post helpful.

  6. #106
    Join Date
    May. 2, 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post
    I still want to know how "allowing companies to sell across state lines" helps. I put that in quotes because obviously we have national companies that sell health insurance in many states already.

    Yes, insurance companies offer different policies for each state, according to risk factors and demographics. So, for example, BCBS offers policies here in Texas with rates based on how the insured have to cover the uninsured. Several years ago, I was rear-ended by an illegal that took off. Cops said, "deal with it." My insurance had to pay for repairs even though the accident was caused by an illegal alien. So, consumers in Texas are forced to pay for wrecks that are not their fault b/c there are more illegal aliens here than in other states. Same with health insurance. Opening up the ability to buy insurance across state lines means a state like, I dunno, Idaho, may offer rates considerably lower than Texas b/c most people are insured there vs. Texas. Now, I can compare rates in Idaho to Texas and decide to buy insurance there b/c rates are lower. I hope this clarifies my point...
    Last edited by kathy s.; Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:38 AM. Reason: kicked off internet again
    "How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?" Julian Lennon


    2 members found this post helpful.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Oct. 2, 1999
    Location
    Mendocino County, CA: Turkey Vulture HQ
    Posts
    14,432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kathy s. View Post
    Yes, insurance companies offer different policies for each state, according to risk factors and demographics. So, for example, BCBS offers policies here in Texas with rates based on how the insured have to cover the uninsured. Several years ago, I was rear-ended by an illegal that took off. Cops said, "deal with it." My insurance had to pay for repairs even though the accident was caused by an illegal alien. So, consumers in Texas are forced to pay for wrecks that are not their fault b/c there are more illegal aliens here than in other states. Same with health insurance. Opening up the ability to buy insurance across state lines means a state like, I dunno, Idaho, may offer rates considerably lower than Texas b/c most people are insured there vs. Texas. Now, I can compare rates in Idaho to Texas and decide to buy insurance there b/c rates are lower. I hope this clarifies my point...
    How does this help my friend's daughter? No insurance company WANTS to sell her insurance. In fact, they would compete to NOT cover her if they could.

    And for what reason might health insurance be cheaper from a company based in Idaho than in Texas? I honestly am confused on this point and don't see why it would make the situation better.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket


    1 members found this post helpful.

  8. #108
    Join Date
    May. 2, 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post
    How does this help my friend's daughter? No insurance company WANTS to sell her insurance. In fact, they would compete to NOT cover her if they could.

    And for what reason might health insurance be cheaper from a company based in Idaho than in Texas? I honestly am confused on this point and don't see why it would make the situation better.

    I tried my best to explain in my previous post but apparently, I'm not making sense to you. Google your questions and multiple answers will be provided. I hope your friend's daughter is ok.
    "How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?" Julian Lennon


    1 members found this post helpful.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Jul. 14, 2003
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    6,180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post
    The cost is still what it costs, and a large percentage of the cost of medical care and thus health insurance in the US is because of uninsured patients getting very expensive emergency care that they can't pay for. We'll save money if we get those people into regular care.
    Not really.

    First, people who choose the catastrophic coverage options will still go to emergency rooms because they have no coverage for doctor visits.

    Second, if you are really interested in what causes the high cost of medical care in the USA, look at the video that I posted in #21 above. Very minor things like emergency room visits and medical malpractice claims, etc. are a drop in the bucket. The reason that our health care costs are exponentially more than other countries' is that the government cannot negotiate with providers. Period.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller


    4 members found this post helpful.

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Mar. 24, 2004
    Location
    Pottstown, PA (East Coventry)
    Posts
    3,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kathy s. View Post
    Yes, insurance companies offer different policies for each state, according to risk factors and demographics. So, for example, BCBS offers policies here in Texas with rates based on how the insured have to cover the uninsured. Several years ago, I was rear-ended by an illegal that took off. Cops said, "deal with it." My insurance had to pay for repairs even though the accident was caused by an illegal alien. So, consumers in Texas are forced to pay for wrecks that are not their fault b/c there are more illegal aliens here than in other states. Same with health insurance. Opening up the ability to buy insurance across state lines means a state like, I dunno, Idaho, may offer rates considerably lower than Texas b/c most people are insured there vs. Texas. Now, I can compare rates in Idaho to Texas and decide to buy insurance there b/c rates are lower. I hope this clarifies my point...
    It wouldn't work that way. The Idaho company that decides to sell in Texas would evaluate the risk in Texas and base their rates on the added risk of more uninsured drivers. It might be marginally cheaper since they are spreading their risk over both Texas and Idaho but insurance companies aren't dumb. They have access to the statistics in Texas too. They aren't going to want to have a rush of Texas insureds with a higher risk factor be able to get lower rates. Do you think State Farm, who insures in many states, would provide me with the same exact rate if I lived in Texas verses PA versus Idaho? I really don't think so. I bet State Farm might even provide me with a different rate if I lived in the City of Philadelphia versus rural East Coventry where I live now. So why would you think that going across state lines is going to suddenly make an insurance company stupid and not assess the statistical risk of offering insurance in another demographic area?
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)


    4 members found this post helpful.

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Mar. 24, 2004
    Location
    Pottstown, PA (East Coventry)
    Posts
    3,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time Rider View Post
    The reason that people can't shop for insurance policies across state lines is because insurance companies successfully lobbied for STATE, not federal regulation of the industry. Each state must approve of policies before they can be sold in each respective state.
    I work for a health insurance company. I would be surprised to find that health insurance companies lobbied for STATE not federal regulations. As it stands an insurance company has to apply and pay for licenses in 50 states plus DC, have to file Policies in 51 "states", have to keep track of the laws in 51 jurisdictions, deal with 51 department of insurances, keep track of prompt pay laws in 51 jurisdictions, etc..... All of which is extremely time consuming and expensive. It would be much easier if there was one set of regulations, one license that was reciprocal in all states and one filing necessary for each policy.
    I know any feed back I have heard from Insurance companies I have worked for is that having to answer to 51 jurisdictions is onorous. That doesn't mean that management much higher up the food chain don't have a different idea of what they like and why.
    I also worked at a small Third Party Administrator that that was approximately 10 employees. They also had to have licenses in any state they did business in- both as a third party administrator and as an agent. That was approximately 41 licenses that they had to file for each year or two years, depending on the state. Of course there is a fee each time they have to file. That adds up. Trust me the states make money off of those fees and don't want to give up control. A few states have reciprocal licenses with neighboring states. If the states could at least come up with a base requirement for the license and would accept other state's licenses as reciprocal- like driver's license or marriage license it would be so much cheaper and easier.


    As an FYI I am using the term licensing to also include certificate of registrations that some states require instead of a license.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)


    2 members found this post helpful.

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Aug. 12, 2010
    Location
    Westford, Massachusetts
    Posts
    3,648

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    I bet State Farm might even provide me with a different rate if I lived in the City of Philadelphia versus rural East Coventry where I live now. So why would you think that going across state lines is going to suddenly make an insurance company stupid and not assess the statistical risk of offering insurance in another demographic area?
    That's absolutely how it would work. Insurance companies employ actuaries who will use whatever variables regulation allows to come up with a model that quantifies risk. I pay far less for car insurance, rated here in my low crime suburb than people, only 10 miles away, pay in a city with very high car theft rates. Unless you had a regulation saying that insurance companies cannot rate based on your location, they most certainly would. And that would NEVER fly, the variance in risk based on where you live/drive is too substantial.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    17,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kathy s. View Post
    Yes, insurance companies offer different policies for each state, according to risk factors and demographics. So, for example, BCBS offers policies here in Texas with rates based on how the insured have to cover the uninsured. Several years ago, I was rear-ended by an illegal that took off. Cops said, "deal with it." My insurance had to pay for repairs even though the accident was caused by an illegal alien. So, consumers in Texas are forced to pay for wrecks that are not their fault b/c there are more illegal aliens here than in other states. Same with health insurance. Opening up the ability to buy insurance across state lines means a state like, I dunno, Idaho, may offer rates considerably lower than Texas b/c most people are insured there vs. Texas. Now, I can compare rates in Idaho to Texas and decide to buy insurance there b/c rates are lower. I hope this clarifies my point...
    Actually, the reason for most of the variations are differences is state imposed mandates of coverage on insurance companies. So, what would happen, without the ACA, is that insurance companies will rush to the state with the fewest mandates, which will result in less coverage for everyone. Now, with the ACA, there is a floor of basic coverage. No excluding cancer for instance, or prescriptions.
    Last edited by LauraKY; Oct. 14, 2013 at 10:37 AM.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant


    1 members found this post helpful.

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Aug. 25, 2007
    Posts
    8,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AppendixQHLover View Post
    I took this job in SC for a small raise. The trade off was that my health insurance costs were minimal and no co-pays. For someone that is on maintenance medication this is a Godsend. We got the news that since it is a small business and the affordable care act..our insurance is going up 150%. So the small raise I got for moving is GONE. It costs me just as much for rent here in Charleston, and my boarding expenses is 300.00 more a month.
    And this is just the beginning of the impact of the ACA. Wait until it's in full operation.

    G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão


    5 members found this post helpful.

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    17,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    Not really.

    First, people who choose the catastrophic coverage options will still go to emergency rooms because they have no coverage for doctor visits.

    Second, if you are really interested in what causes the high cost of medical care in the USA, look at the video that I posted in #21 above. Very minor things like emergency room visits and medical malpractice claims, etc. are a drop in the bucket. The reason that our health care costs are exponentially more than other countries' is that the government cannot negotiate with providers. Period.
    Not true, depending on the state, a copayment for a doctor's visit could be as little as 10% of the cost, with limits on the total out of pocket. So those doctor's visits WILL be more affordable. In addition, a wellcare visit is free.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant


    1 members found this post helpful.

  16. #116
    Join Date
    May. 12, 2008
    Posts
    4,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kathy s. View Post
    Yes, insurance companies offer different policies for each state, according to risk factors and demographics. So, for example, BCBS offers policies here in Texas with rates based on how the insured have to cover the uninsured. Several years ago, I was rear-ended by an illegal that took off. Cops said, "deal with it." My insurance had to pay for repairs even though the accident was caused by an illegal alien. So, consumers in Texas are forced to pay for wrecks that are not their fault b/c there are more illegal aliens here than in other states. Same with health insurance. Opening up the ability to buy insurance across state lines means a state like, I dunno, Idaho, may offer rates considerably lower than Texas b/c most people are insured there vs. Texas. Now, I can compare rates in Idaho to Texas and decide to buy insurance there b/c rates are lower. I hope this clarifies my point...
    I live in a small state, near the border of two other states and my car insurance, for the same coverage, is the same no matter which state I live in, since all the border towns are about the same size. The difference is what my minimum requirement would be in each state. Delaware requires more coverage than Maryland, so I can get away with cheaper car insurance in MD because I am not covering as much.

    I also work in insurance (supplemental coverage) and the different rates and plans available per state are dependent on the regulations in each states. I sell in MD, DE and PA right now and can buy a license for any state, as long as my license in my state of residence is good. We also sell to companies with locations in more than one state and sell the policy that is assigned to that state. We cannot sell a DE policy in MD, it is against the law. So your Idaho/Texas analogy would only work if you drove to Idaho to sign the policy.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Aug. 20, 2006
    Location
    wyoming
    Posts
    498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    Except if you live in a state where your state government didn't accept expanded Medicaid coverage, you're not going to get a subsidy.
    I don't know why you say this. I live in a state that has not expanded Medicaid and I will get a rebate. Maybe what you are talking about are the unfortunate people who are too "prosperous" for Medicaid as it exists in my state right now but too poor to qualify for rebates when the ACA cuts in. Those folks were supposed to be covered by expanded Medicaid - but are not going to be because of my caring and compassionate Republican state leaders. <sarcasm>

    I am not that poor, however, and I will get rebates.

    Yes, I've already emailed all my Republican political leaders - state and federal - about their childish hissy fits. And no, I am not a Democrat. I've voted Republican many more times than Democratic over my 40 years of voting.

    Liz


    2 members found this post helpful.

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Nov. 18, 2010
    Location
    california
    Posts
    4,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kathy s. View Post
    And Iraq has to do with the topic How?
    Nothing, just like the inane posts of yours demanding that someone address President Obama's approval rating.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Oct. 2, 1999
    Location
    Mendocino County, CA: Turkey Vulture HQ
    Posts
    14,432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Actually, the reason for most of the variations are differences is state imposed mandates of coverage on insurance companies. So, what would happen, without the ACA, is that insurance companies will rush to the state with the fewest mandates, which will result in less coverage for everyone. Now, with the ACA, there is a floor of basic coverage. No excluding cancer for instance, or prescriptions.
    There are substantial regional variations, too. In California, health insurance is on a by-county basis - meaning that most health insurance products are not sold in all of California's 58 counties, even though the regulation is the same. In my particular county, at times there have been only two health insurance companies offering coverage, while one county south there are far more options. The price also differs by county. So there's not some magic of differential regulation creating this. It's the actuaries in those companies saying, "we don't think we can make money writing people there" or maybe "we can't deal with the providers in that county."

    If we want to go with national standards a la ACA and end some of the state by state regulations I'm open to that. But to do what happened with credit cards and allow the industry to buy a small state legislature and make their own rules, in a jurisdiction where we don't even elect the people who make the laws ... seems to me would just make things worse.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket



  20. #120
    Join Date
    Oct. 2, 1999
    Location
    Mendocino County, CA: Turkey Vulture HQ
    Posts
    14,432

    Default

    There is often a cry of keeping government out of heath care, government regulation is bad, etc.

    Health insurance is not like fire insurance. Everyone understands that you cannot buy fire insurance for a house that is currently on fire. Fires are one time events.

    Some people are born metaphorically on fire - they are going to have foreseeable future health care needs in excess of any amount they could pay on a policy. Without regulation, insurance companies would not write or renew these policies. (If you doubt this, consider how horse major medical works. They don't write older horses and they will quickly drop a horse or create exclusions after claims.)

    If you've had cancer, or you've had a heart attack, and you still have your health insurance, that's because the government forced them to cover you, either via the mechanism of employer groups or guaranteed renewal.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket


    2 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone else get annoyed by....
    By amastrike in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Aug. 31, 2013, 01:08 PM
  2. Affordable Health Care begins October 1
    By jumpnow in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Aug. 9, 2013, 01:52 PM
  3. Replies: 33
    Last Post: Jul. 13, 2012, 12:16 AM
  4. Affordable Health Care Act
    By luvmytbs in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 422
    Last Post: Jul. 5, 2012, 05:05 PM
  5. Affordable full-care board in Lexington, Ky
    By shadeofgreen in forum Off Course
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Sep. 25, 2009, 10:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness