The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mirena side effects?

I just got mine "installed" 3 weeks ago, and so far it is NOT pleasant. I was told to be prepared to feel gross and bleed for months. Just wondering what and how long you endured the side effects until you started seeing it even out.

It was awful for six months.

It has been great since. Mine is supposed to come out this month. I would not hesitate to get another and probably will.
    ~ The Goat Whisperer
    Website

Mine was installed (and that is exactly how I referred to it too!) 2 weeks ago. I had two days of spotting and have had very mild cramping in the morning most days since then. Actually, today I felt "normal" so I'm hoping that means my body has adjusted to it.
    "Ponies are a socially acceptable form of child abuse." - said by a friend when asked if she was going to find a pony for her 5 year old daughter.

Would you mind describing what you endured during the "awful" part?

I have cramps, headaches, bleed constantly, had an anxiety attack, gained weight, have enlarged, painful breasts, extreme moodiness, and zero sex drive.

I had one for 4 years. I was miserable and had no sex drive the entire time. I didn't realize the Mirena was the cause at the time, but I started feeling 100% better when I had it removed. No way would I get another.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

What were you on before the Mirena? I was on Depo shot prior to mine, and I had no sex drive, acne, but didn't gain weight.

The installation of the Mirena was AWFUL. I was cursing at the OBGYN, and then until about 8 PM that night I felt like I was going to throw up. Then, the next day, I had mild cramping, like a bad period.

After that, nothing. No spotting, no cramping. Nothing.

If it's that bad, maybe you should just check in with your doc.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Whoops, meant to add: now that I'm on Mirena and NOT Depo, my sex drive is back and my acne has gotten much better.

I love the Mirena.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    What were you on before the Mirena? I was on Depo shot prior to mine, and I had no sex drive, acne, but didn't gain weight.

The installation of the Mirena was AWFUL. I was cursing at the OBGYN, and then until about 8 PM that night I felt like I was going to throw up. Then, the next day, I had mild cramping, like a bad period.

After that, nothing. No spotting, no cramping. Nothing.

If it's that bad, maybe you should just check in with your doc.
    I wasn't on anything, and life was great. Regular, short periods with no cramping. But since I don't do so well with latex, I decided to stop playing with fire.

A while back I took progesterone only pills, and spotted a bit on those. Then I opened my business, ended my relationship, and stopped taking them.

I have a follow up on Nov 4th.

My doctor said my implantation was one of the most difficult ones she has done. My sister has one of these and said I will bleed for months and feel like garbage.

ETA: when I am not anything, I am a walking hornball, worse than your average teenage boy. That is gone now.

I have had one in for about 4 years.. Insertion hurt like hell and I was absolutely miserable for the first probably 3 months. Awful cramps, moodiness, etc. I love not having periods though so may get another...I haven't decided yet.

Sorry, was in a rush for dinner.

Pretty much all you describe (except weight gain - I have a medical issue that prevents me from gaining weight properly).

Lots of bleeding, HORRIBLE cramps - oh man the cramps were awful terrible. Sore breasts. Hormone fluctuations. Acne. I seriously considered pulling it out.

But once it mellowed out, it was quite nice. My periods are VERY light and short, if a little random. My sex drive was not effected that I am aware of. Most importantly, it WORKED. I have not had much luck with other birth control options, pills, patch, and depo included.

If I cannot arrange to have the husband cut (hehe) here soon, I will get a second Mirena.
    ~ The Goat Whisperer
    Website

I don't want to be a wimp, but I also do not want to kill a relationship with my wild mood swings and lack of sex drive. I can't even find words to describe how far both of those scenarios are from my usual self.

Anyone else?

Give it a few months to settle in. Reactions to this (and other hormonal contraception) varies so wildly among different people that other people's experiences might not be all that helpful.

Having said that, I had nasty pain and bleeding for a while, which stopped after a few months. I had nasty endometriosis at the time though (hence the Mirena). 8 years in, and I have not gained any weight, emotional issues seem about the same, no continued pain/bleeding. Might have made the acne a little worse, but I was never going to be a covergirl anyways.

I had one almost a year. Finally told my doctor I couldn't cope with the side effects - bloating, moody, weight gain and, basically, just didn't feel like 'myself' - and had it taken out. Felt better almost immediately.

I've had mine for about a year, and I have an appointment today to talk with my doc about removing it. It has made my skin absolutely horrendous - super oily, constantly breaking out on my face, chest, and back. I used to rarely wear makeup, now there's always at least concealer on. My skin wasn't this bad when I was a teenager and I'm just tired of dealing with it! I didn't have any bad cramping, bloating, or weight gain. I've had weird on and off (but mostly on) spotting..only a few real periods. If it weren't for my skin, I'd totally keep it.

Yeah, my spotting has now gone to period like flow, my face is broken out, but I am wondering if this is actually my period? I am a week early, but was super light last month so sometimes I would be heavier the following cycle.

I hated mine for the first two months. All of the symptoms you described plus crazy mood swings. I felt fat and disgusting. I begged my husband to let me have it taken out but he made me stick with it for another month because we'd had to pay out of pocket for it (and it was EXPENSIVE).

After the first two months it was amazing. Everything went back to normal except that I had zero periods. No spotting, no cramping, no bloating, no nothing.

I kept it in for three years, and had it removed so that we could have a second child. Had no problems getting pregnant almost immediately and after my daughter was born I had a second mirena put in. I've had this one for three months, and had a few of the same symptoms this time around but not nearly as pronounced. I'm also still occasionally spotting here in month three but I expect that to go away soon too.

I've suggested it to every one of my friends and most of them have one now. One girl, who has problems with hormone adjustment, had too many problems with the Mirena and got a copper coil instead. That might be an option if you're still having problems later.

For me, apart from the actual install, the first two or three months were the worst. as a woman who had debilitating cramps on a "light" period, I was basically out for the count. But seeing as how I sucked at taking the pill at the exact same time everyday, I stuck with it.

Now I'm going on four years with it and am fairly happy. The only thing that happens with me is I still get the occasional cramp here and there but nothing like it was, and I have also had the feeling of being prego all the way down to the morning sickness.

When it comes time to part with it, I'll probably look at all of the options again but as of right now I would get it again just for the ease of it. Plus I love the money I saved on tampons so far!!
    Just keep swimming... Just keep swimming

I had my first Mirena "installed" five years ago, the cramps post installation were AWFUL. My OB/GYN knows I'm a horse girl and have a high pain threshold, so when she said, "I can call in a prescription for pain meds if you need them" should have been my first clue... LOL! About 2 hours after "installation" I was in more pain than I can recall... I ended up using those two vicodin later that afternoon and that helped tremendously. After that first horrid day, I had a little spotting for a few weeks, then had zero periods or side-effects for the past five years. I had that first one replaced yesterday, less cramping than the first time around, but I knew to have pain meds on board early... took one vicodin immediately post install then one after dinner yesterday and today I feel completely normal. Barely any spotting from the procedure. I love my Mirena.

Now, I have a good friend who got her first Mirena a couple months ago and she had a very difficult time at first.... now 2-3 months in she's back to normal. She was having quite a bit of cramping and spotting initially.

OP, hang in there, it'll get better.

Man I am so glad that I didn't experience all of this when I got mine. I mean the first couple of months were well yucky, but I actually lost weight after I went off of the pill and I do not get a period at all but that might have to do with my polycystic ovary syndrome. The only thing I have on occasion is a mild cramp that is tolerable. I think I've had it a year and a half now. The installation was NOT pleasant at all though.
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.