The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default are there more baby girls than boys lately?

seems everyone I know is having girls over the past few years and baby boys are just not as common in my neck of the woods.
    I wonder why--could it be the soy in every processed food in the past twenty years?
    discuss please...

I heard that more girls were born in blue states and more boys in red states.

Can't answer that one.
    If indeed there are more girls than boys born, I wonder, are there more older women than younger having babies the past decades?
    The older the woman, the harder it is to maintain a pregnancy.
    Boy fetus are more fragile, more apt to not make it to full term.

All that, if true, could slightly slant births to more girls.

I think it goes in spurts. It seems like the last couple years were boy heavy and now, of the 8 friends I have that are prego or have given birth this year, myself included, there is only one baby sporting a Y chromosome.

Well as far as nature goes, don't we technically need fewer males than females? Just sayin'...

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

Funny because I've had 5 friends give birth within the past 6 months and all were boys including twin boys (so 6 total children male)
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Actually more boys than girls are born -- something like 108 boys for every 100 girls. The theory is that boys are weaker than girls and less are likely to survive. Therefore there are more boys than girls in the world until about age 30 or so -- because males do have higher death rates (accidents etc when young). If you make me, I'll google some references :-)

Btw, how are you doing Suz? I have been thinking of you as you go through your treatment.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/census...a/moreboys.htm

And a discussion as to why the imbalance:
    http://www.livescience.com/33491-mal...sex-ratio.html

I got it slightly wrong, the ratio is 105 boys to every 100 girls.

I am expecting a baby and we just found out it is a girl. My friend is also pregnant and she is having a boy. My sisters in law both had boys.

You can't rely on anecdotal information...looking at studies there is a correlation between proximity to the equator, economic stress and loss of life (as in war). There's also a correlation with birth order within a family and exposure to pesticides, chemicals and stress.

I can't get any current statistics because the government is shut down.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

Not on my block. Neighbors all have young boys. 6 total. We are so screwed if we have a baby girl.

And on the same note, the government just gave their permission to use the sex of the baby as an OK reason for an abortion. Of course, China and India have been using this to abort girls for years. Very sad.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    And on the same note, the government just gave their permission to use the sex of the baby as an OK reason for an abortion. Of course, China and India have been using this to abort girls for years. Very sad.
    Maybe having a boy makes life easier for the family. Not all people have a baby because they love kids. Many are to help the family business. Maybe not so much now, but in years past. My grandparents were from a small country and boys were preferred because they are stronger and able to add to the family coffers rather than take away from it.

I'm not saying it's right, but it does seem that many people would rather have a boy.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

I have had 2 girls in 2 years (well.. STILL waiting on the second. Stubborn bugger), but the majority of my friends have had boys.

My OB with my first made a comment saying it's an old wives take that more boys are born in times of war, but clearly I have no back up of that. Just something she said in passing that stuck with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    Uh, "the government" actually didn't because women don't need to give any reason when seeking an abortion.

Second, in India it is illegal for doctors and ultrasound techs to tell parents the gender of their child.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

5 members found this post helpful.

Around here it's all boys!

Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

All boys around me it seems, barring one friend with a girl. I've always had a feeling I'll only have boys, but my intuition has a terrible track record!