The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Luxury Items Worth Spending WAY too much on

I am SUCH a penny pincher that I always find the best bargain on everything, but there are a few things it's worth spending WAY too much on.

$40 for a slow close toilet lid! You can buy one for $10, but the luxury of just dropping the lid and letting is slowly go down. Ahhhhhh.

$10 for a good mop. I cannot tell you how many cheap, and expensive mops I've bought, and the )(&*^&%^#$# things always break. You know, the ones that have the scrubby on the end and you can fold it in half to get out water and stuff? I finally bought one of those rag ones with a cover you slide down and twist to get out the water, and it hasn't broken! It was $8 at the Grocery Outlet--a lot for me since I can get them for $1--but well worth the "big" bucks.

I hate to say it, because I'm ecologically minded, but my husband bought a Swiffer home...the one with the liquid that squirts onto the floor. It is outrageously over priced, the mops are disposable and the bottle of fluid is not refillable. The Swiffer people have worked it all out to justify their huge advertising costs!

Anyway, it does such a good job, and saves so much time, I've capitulated.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

3 members found this post helpful.

Already cleaned and prepped veggies at the grocery store, especially squash. I'm not a great cook, don't take much joy in the fixing of food and I've found that I tend to cook better food, if I don't have to peel and seed and chop.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

10 members found this post helpful.

Maui Jims!!

4 members found this post helpful.

K-cups for my Keurig. Usually I fill the reusable cup, but sometimes it's just really nice to toss in a K-cup.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

6 members found this post helpful.

Health food and organic food.
    I like my men like my tea: hot, strong, sweet and British!

Well, I love to find bargains, so I am not prone to spend too much money on anything, really. I spend a lot of time finding the best price online, I shop around and compare prices on everything, from shoes to vet procedures.

My latest find was a (supposedly "used", but looking and smelling brand new) Dale of Norway sweater (worth $300 new) for...$36.

THAT sort of thing makes my day!

I will spend more money on organic food, tho, I have to say...but to me that's not in the "luxury" category.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

2 members found this post helpful.

grassfed rib eyes, parma prosciutto and triple cream brie.

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    I am SUCH a penny pincher that I always find the best bargain on everything, but there are a few things it's worth spending WAY too much on.

$40 for a slow close toilet lid! You can buy one for $10, but the luxury of just dropping the lid and letting is slowly go down. Ahhhhhh.
    We have $500 Toto toilets with the slow closing lid. Totes worth it.
    You are what you dare.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    I hate to say it, because I'm ecologically minded, but my husband bought a Swiffer home...the one with the liquid that squirts onto the floor. It is outrageously over priced, the mops are disposable and the bottle of fluid is not refillable. The Swiffer people have worked it all out to justify their huge advertising costs!

There's a substitute for that. It's made by Libman, has a detachable microfiber pad that you can throw in the wash. It has a liquid bottle attached, you can fill it with your own mixture. It works just like the Swiffer. I picked mine up in Kroger.

It's the Freedom Spray Mister on the bottom row.

http://libman.com/products.aspx#/Mopping/284m/0/
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post

Your husband didn't know this, but he could have gotten a Libman spray mop. You can put your own cleaning liquid in it and it uses a washable pad with scrubbing strips instead of the use-once pads of the Swifter. I was able to get mine at a grocery store when they had 20% off and paid around $18 for it. I've seen it on sale at Target and Walgreens, also. No need to pay what Walmart is asking below.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Libman-Fre...y-Mop/15724007

Mascara

1 members found this post helpful.

Fleur de sel caramel spread from a specific maker, 12$ for a small jar, and I eat it with a spoon, and it makes me happy.

Organic + local fruit & veggies weekly baskets throughout late spring, summer and fall.

My mom has that Libman mop, and I really want one!! It's way cool that you can put any cleaner you want in it, and midway through your floors you can throw the dirty pad in the wash, and use another one, or my mom just gives it a good hot water rinse and keeps going.

Pre-washed bagged lettuce. We eat way too many salads to do all the lettuce prep work ourselves all the time. (All other veggies I do myself).
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Really good hair color and cut. I don't buy fancy clothes or shoes, but I do spend $$$ at the salon every couple of months.

7D dried mango, or since I can never find that here, Philippine Brand is an okay substitute. The mango from Central or South America is just NOT the same. Something like $15 a bag and we will not discuss how fast it disappears.

Beef from the guy up the road who has huge beautiful pastures. Actually, his prices are really not that much more than grocery store... Fox Farms in Warm Springs GA.

ETA: Ditto the Maui Jim sunglasses. As a photographer, there is no substitute for really good glass. My first pair went around the world with me, to Amsterdam, to the Philippines... and then they died a fiery death when I hooked them on my shirt front while gathering leaves and twigs for the burn pile. I sulked for a while and then bought a replacement pair, and a $6 string that goes around my neck. Ugly as it is, I am not allowed to wear them without it.
    Last edited by wsmoak; Oct. 12, 2013 at 09:00 PM.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Dern, can't get my multi quote to work, but anyway I second the kcups. Definitely a splurge but hey. I was just telling MrB that the keurig and my metal horsehead shaped bottle opener were my favorite kitchen appliance and utensil, respectively. He said, yep, and most-used of all time too! Heh heh.
    Maui Jims.... Don't say that!! I can get a pair for cost plus 5 percent at work, but I really don't need nice sunglasses that I'll fret over. I can barely keep my ten dollar target shades in one piece! But those maui Jims look and feel so nice!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

A $200+ litterbox. I have 2 of them

Salad bar.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

Nutella

5 members found this post helpful.

When I worked, I loved really good quality clothes. I thought nothing of spending maybe even $1K for a suit. When ultrasuede was popular, I think I owned every conceivable color either as a suit or even just a skirt. As far as I was concerned you couldn't get a better buy than with ultrasuede. You just popped it in the washer and dryer and it came out looking great. No drycleaning expense like you had with silk or linen or wool. And I loved to buy heels to match every outfit.

Funny, since I retired, I admit to not only having gone into Wal-Mart, but actually buying a lot of my barn clothes there and my jeans at BJ's now. I'm sure my Mother is rolling over in her urn at me going into Wally World! Dear heavens, when I worked I wouldn't even consider going into Sears or Penneys.

PS. I do have to admit that I went into Williams and Sonoma about 6 months ago and bought a garlic press for $45!
    Last edited by msj; Oct. 12, 2013 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Added PS.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!