The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Unhappy Severe Anemia during pregnancy? (Complications from hyperemesis)

I know a number of women on the board have shared that they suffered from hyperemesis gravidum (HG) during pregnancy. I'm twenty weeks into my second HG pregnancy (DS is three) and this one is worse than the last. For those who don't know, HG is a severe form of morning sickness (in the same way measles is a severe skin rash). Sufferers lose ten plus percent of their body weight, often require heavy medication, usually need multiple hospitalizations and suffer from depression related to the illness and isolation. It tends to last the whole pregnancy, though 20% experience some relief around the halfway mark. I'm down twenty pounds at this point and have some classic issues (my teeth are destroyed from the acid, I've likely caused esophagus damage, etc).

Recent blood work has shown that I'm extremely anemic. This explains why I huff and puff while sitting still for an hour and why I'm dizzy all the time. I'm seeing a hematologist next week and have another round of blood work then (I swear I've had so many needles I look like a junkie with track marks).

I'm having trouble finding any one else who has experience this. Has anyone done a transfusion while pregnant or dealt with severe anemia?

I'm 31 weeks pregnant. I am severely anemic according to my blood work, but my Doc has not told me that I am HG.
    I lost 27 lbs in my first 24 weeks of pregnancy, I have gained a little bit back, but I am still not near my pre-pregnancy weight.
    I am weak, sore, and out of breath all the time.

I've dealt with severe HG this whole pregnancy and the anemia that goes a long with it as well, although not quite as bad as yours. I take what feels like my body weight in pills multiple times a day and I still can hardly keep up with life.

I feel your pain about the blood work. I've taken to wearing long sleeves in public so I don't get the side eye. I stopped wearing my wedding rings because they are too loose on my hand and that's bad enough for some people I've gained about 4 lbs in 38 weeks AND my blood pressure is on the high side.

Major ((hugs)) to you! I just kept putting one foot in front of the other and hugging on my mare every single chance I got. She didn't care if I threw up on her.

Thanks for the support! My midwife kind of freaked me out by saying it could cause low birth rate or pre-term labor, which HG can also cause.

I know what you mean about the massive about of pills, superminion. I feel like a junkie. Popping pills, fuzzy and tired all the time, track marks... As long as baby keeps baking I'm happy.

They've had me on pre-term labor watch since about 30 weeks. If she's not here by 39 they'll just induce me, thank god. A week and a half left.

The good news is that even though *I'm* pretty well convinced I'm dying, she's happy and healthy as can be.

Hang in there, Momma and PM me if you ever need to vent/whine/cry... ANYTHING. I have a 19 month old as well, so I know how crazy stressful it can be to be so sick with another little person still depending on you!