The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default (sort of) Horrifying CL ad

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/grd/4124668231.html

And in case it gets taken down, here's the text:

For lease: Registered American Paint horse mare. Turned 5 in April. Mare is brown and (mostly) white. Easy to keep clean, every one asks how I keep her so clean She stands about 15.1 hh (haven't taped her in awhile). Big boned. LOVES people and kids! The younger they are the more she seems to like them and all the attention. I have had a three year old girl ride her at a jog, no lead line, and she did great! I have a video of them together. I can provide plently of testimony as to the nature of this mare. She is still learning to neckrein but is at the point where patterns are manageable with proper leg. She rides both english and western, mainly focusing on western pleasure, but she can move out a bit for huntseat. She is not marish or witchy in any way towards other horses or people. Loves being groomed and bathed. When she sees a trailer she can't wait to get on to see where we are headed She is a great confidence builder as I have had children whom never cantered before ONLY want to canter on her I can't say enough about her! She is stabled at Nash Hill Equestrian Center located on Persia Road in Gowanda NY Their web site is http://www.nashhillequestriancenter.com/ Beautiful barn with heated arena for year round riding, a large outdoor sand arena, lasge tack room and wash stalls with both cold and hot water. Feel free to text or call for more info, photos, or to come try her out. I will require one lesson a week but there is NO exttra charge for it. More lessons availiable for $30/hr by an amazing trainer. There is trailering availible for shows if needed. Lease fees will range up to $295 per month (to be determined at the time of lease signing). Lease can be as short or as long as desired.
    Picture 1
    Picture 2

Who on earth thought that rigging was a good idea? Poor horse must be terrified to move.
    Last edited by amastrike; Oct. 14, 2013 at 03:16 PM. Reason: temper title
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

THAT is not a horrifying ad by craigslist standards. Ya, the rigging is a bit f'ed up, but the horse doesn't look the least bit terrified or upset by it. I'm sure if she goes around with her jead where they like it for WP it doesn't effect her at all... mind you under the new AQHA rules she'd be DQed for using that rig at a show, but....

6 members found this post helpful.

That's not really registering on my horrifying meter. Horse is fat, well cared for, CLEAN, and in a nice barn. She has a tie down on that should probably be a little longer & run between her front legs, but doesn't look uncomfortable or stressed. Not horrifying at all.

5 members found this post helpful.

Well, it bothered me.

She has a bit, with shanks, and a tie down/draw reins/side reins WTF ever you want to call them running from the shanks and around her legs to the middle ring on the girth.

Stupid, yes.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

10 members found this post helpful.

Whoever put that butting rig on her did it wrong. The lines should go between her front legs and to the girth ring or if around her front legs then up to the horn or to the D rings on the saddle. The way they've got it rigged is a wreck waiting to happen. Nice looking mare though

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by fourmares View Post
    THAT is not a horrifying ad by craigslist standards.
    I don't like the fact that the horse is bitted up like that either. Even if it was a snaffle and not a curb there is no way that she wouldn't interfere with her own mouth when she moved, but that ad is far from terrifying. The mare is a good weight, looks like her feet get done, and is at a decent facility.

When the headline says horrifying I expect something horribly underweight, with feet that haven't been touched in ages, standing in a muddy paddock surrounded by loose, saggy barb wire.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt
    Wild Maple Designs - Equestrian inspired apparel.

2 members found this post helpful.

There is a huge difference between stupid and horrifying.

Horrifying (especially on Craigslist) generally implies elf feet, visible ribs, barbed wire etc.

Stupid is, well, stupid.

10 members found this post helpful.

It's an elbow rig. Every time the mare takes a step she'll get bopped in the mouth by the motion of her elbows moving.

It's a WP thing, albeit I've seen it used much more often with Arabs. It creates more of a chin-on-chest look rather than the low, straight neck look the stock breeds go for.

Looks like a nice - and certainly tolerant! - mare. I would say that maybe she'll get an upgrade by going out on lease, but I noticed that the lessee is required to take at least one lesson a week. Presumably with the knucklehead trainer who put her in that rig. Yeesh.

I was reading the text and waiting for the horrifying part, clicked on the first picture and expected a bone rack or something. While that get up is not something I would do, it doesn't peg my horror meter. It does make me wonder about all the other claims the owner is making though since she can't figure out draw reins. I do remember seeing a married couple at a show once warming up their horses with their reins done up in the same manner though....thought it was stupid then too.
    Last edited by PRS; Oct. 14, 2013 at 05:37 PM.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

4 members found this post helpful.

What? The mare looks good. And the "rigging?" Well it doesn't look any worse than the chanson de gouge that one BO and her adult daughter thought one of us needed. The one of us who resisted with his head down, not up. Which made his owner wonder why she had to pay fro something she'd never use on either of us. Farm House Tack made some money on that purchase.

And for those of you who use side reins? Well, about the same as that cute paint in the pictures.

I've seen that rigging before in person. I don't get it. I think its dangerous and rather cruel. But I've seen much worse in person and in CL ads :/
    Team Ginger

Horrifying how ignorant and (probably unintentionally) cruel people can be.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by WildandWickedWarmbloods View Post
    What? The mare looks good. And the "rigging?" Well it doesn't look any worse than the chanson de gouge that one BO and her adult daughter thought one of us needed. The one of us who resisted with his head down, not up. Which made his owner wonder why she had to pay fro something she'd never use on either of us. Farm House Tack made some money on that purchase.

And for those of you who use side reins? Well, about the same as that cute paint in the pictures.
    The problem is that this rigging makes it painful for the horse to move. Every time she takes a step, her opposite foreleg will hit the rope and yank on her mouth. Anything that makes it painful for a horse to go forward is scary and wrong in my book... it's just asking for a horse to go nuts, rear, and flip.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

Clearly you don't know the proper use of side reins. or a Gogue for that matter.

This 'rigging' is just plain wrong on many levels.

The horse looks good and very tolerant !

And this is a valid statement because side reins used properly are totes "about the same" as using an elbow rig with a leverage bit.

Looks like the horse is owned by a wanna-be Western Pleasure princess. The poor poser just hasn't quite figured out how the big girls and boys do it at Congress though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwLJeZ40YRo

Last edited by GaitedGloryRider; Oct. 15, 2013 at 06:37 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by GaitedGloryRider View Post
    Looks like the horse is owned by a wanna-be Western Pleasure princess. The poor poser just hasn't quite figured out how the big girls and boys do it at Congress though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwLJeZ40YRo

Quote Originally Posted by gaitedincali View Post
    It's an elbow rig. Every time the mare takes a step she'll get bopped in the mouth by the motion of her elbows moving.

It's a WP thing, albeit I've seen it used much more often with Arabs. It creates more of a chin-on-chest look rather than the low, straight neck look the stock breeds go for.
    Ack! Is that how they do it? Western pleasure people I mean. I always wondered! Seriously, that's how they do it?

How do they get a horse to canter -- sorry, lope -- in that get up? When it bops them in the mouth, they wouldn't slow down. They'd throw their head up and pin their ears.

How do they get a horse to do that horrible, limping lope?
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

Not to mention all the hype about the wonderful barn. With I'm sure the wonderful trainer.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

You should consider getting your mom to jet you off to a barn where you could learn a few things.

5 members found this post helpful.