The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation 19 horses dead in Georgia from suspected botulism - scary!

http://macon.craigslist.org/grd/4199149308.html

Here is the text:

I am trying to get information on a very serious problem. We had a large group of horses. These horses were some of the best horses I have ever come across. All of a sudden they got sick and started dying. The symptoms were similar to botulism but it happened so fast that the we couldn't get lab results quick enough to save them. They all went from showing the first symptoms to being put down or dying in a period of 5-12 hours. We lost 7 the first day, 5 the second day and then 1 and 2 a day after that, this came to total number of 19. We took a horse to the diagnostic lab in Tifton and they sent samples of to PA. We received the results of Botulism in the intensive and stomach contents of the horse. The initial response of the vet and lab staff was suspected botulism so we sent two samples of the hay that the horses were consuming along with the other samples to PA. The hay samples came back Negative. After many sleepless hours and nights of staying in the field with my horses I kept thinking of what could it be that they all had access to other than the hay. The only other thing that we were feeding was sweet feed and weight builder. The sweet feed was Wrangler 10% and Wrangler 12 %. The weight builder was a Dumor product. I was just wanting to know if anyone else has had anything like this to happen. I never would have suspected botulism or anything like that had it not been for the large number of horses that were affected. If we had just had a normal amount of 1 or 2 horses we would have been very sad that they ( got sick and died ) but probably would not have had all these tests done. I am not pointing fingers or trying to cause problems I am only asking for some answers. The symptoms that we witnessed were: horses would hang their head, drooling excessively, chewed hay in their mouth but not swallowing it. Staggering, falling down as if pushed over, seizures, excessive muscle twitching in the facial muscles. After a short period of time the horse's tongue would hang out of the mouth, the horse was unable to move the tongue. inability to get up and finally death or euthanasia. If you or anyone you know have had any symptoms like this or if you find anything in common with all of this please send me an email or call me at 229-406-1470. I am desperately trying to find out where this botulism could be so that I can avoid this happening again. Thank you for taking the time to read this and hopefully help solve this problem. ( All of the pictured horses are no longer with us, these were our heart and souls. The children's pets and mine and my husbands' pride and joy. Please Help !!)

65 Five Star Rd, Vienna Ga.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I will wait to share my thoughts, until others weigh in.....

I saw this on facebook. Very sad.

I noticed in the pics that they feed roundbales. I think it's mostly likely that the testing just missed the positive areas of the hay (or the horses have eaten it all) or that this particular strain wasn't caught by whatever test was used on the hay.

1 members found this post helpful.

I would also test the grain and the weight builder you were giving as well.

Sorry that you suffered such a devastating loss.....I hope you find the cause.

Dalemma

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I saw this on facebook. Very sad.

I noticed in the pics that they feed roundbales. I think it's mostly likely that the testing just missed the positive areas of the hay (or the horses have eaten it all) or that this particular strain wasn't caught by whatever test was used on the hay.
    Right but it must have been quite a lot to kill so many horses. Likely they just did not find the contaminated areas.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

It doesn't take much botulism at all to start killing horses...

There is an antidote that is intended for human infants called BabyBig http://www.infantbotulism.org/general/babybig.php that can be life saving. It's initiated before final results are back when the diagnosis is strongly suspected. The problem? It costs $$$$$$$$$ and has to be air freighted in to arrive in time to "save."

I have seen infants with this and it's not a fun way to die. Those poor horses

It's sad that there are known treatments for things but costs makes obtaining impossible....

Quote Originally Posted by rockfordbuckeye View Post
    There is an antidote that is intended for human infants called BabyBig http://www.infantbotulism.org/general/babybig.php that can be life saving. It's initiated before final results are back when the diagnosis is strongly suspected. The problem? It costs $$$$$$$$$ and has to be air freighted in to arrive in time to "save."

I have seen infants with this and it's not a fun way to die. Those poor horses

It's sad that there are known treatments for things but costs makes obtaining impossible....
    There is an antitoxin for horses, but it is also extraordinary expensive. It also has very limited efficacy against type C, which is usually what causes mass deaths in equine herds.

So sorry for the owners, botulism is just awful. And unfortunately, it is unlikely they'll find the source.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

The New Bolton botulism antitoxin is several thousand dollars. There is a type b specific antitoxin that is only a couple hundred.

The supportive care for a botulism affected horse is the most expensive part.

As another poster said, it takes just a miniscule amount of botulism to affect horses...they are very sensitive to it.
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

Wanted to point everyone to this thread, since the owner has posted there: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...-From-Botulism Mods - feel free to delete this thread, since the other one is more active.

1 members found this post helpful.