The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default TC Complete made my TB HOTTTTTTTTT

After a couple of months on this my guy wigged. He is now on hay only, after an extreme episode of naughtiness, with minerals. He gets orchard alfalfa am/pm when the rest of the barn gets grain. His minerals go in his bin with some chopped carrots. He has lots of coastal while stalled, then out at night on grass pasture.
    He has "let down" from the food fry, but I'm just starting to see ribs. Hips look fine, but I know that's next to drop. He has been in no work while letting down the last 2 weeks. I don't think hay will sustain him, and my BO is reluctant to give him much more than he is getting. Tons of grass, but it's Florida bahia.
    He was previously on a cruddy food that was basically an all-stock, of which he was eating 2 3qt scoops 2x daily. WAY too much at once. I talked to Purina, Seminole and TC nutritionists and went first with Ultium, as it was conveniently available, but he didn't like it. Went next with the TC Complete, and here we are....
    Any suggestions out there? 4yr OTTB, learning how to be a horse, basic training wtc, nothing overly exertive.
    Last edited by taz's mom; Sep. 6, 2013 at 07:34 PM. Reason: posted twice oops

Try Tribute Kalm and EZ. My Arab is mellow as could be on this feed and I did see dealers in Florida. If not that, try Nutrena Safe Choice. But, of the two, my horse is noticeably calmer on the Tribute feed.

Good luck!

Is that a chaffe?

No, it's a pelleted feed and I think you can get it texturized as well.

http://www.tributehorsefeeds.com/cat...leted-920p-23/

http://www.tributehorsefeeds.com/cat...red-t920ez-24/

Or try TC Sr it is lower in NSC than complete, the complete is moderate at ~20% or like 18 i can't remember. But the Sr is like 11%.

3 members found this post helpful.

If you only noticed a personality change after a few months, I doubt it was the feed. Possibly you just have a hot horse when he's getting sufficient calories.

That said, my issue with TC feeds has been that molasses is always in the top five ingredients in their feeds. I do feed the Lite to my easy keeper mare and older QH and have been happy with it. My rather large TB gets 9 lbs. of Seminole Wellness Show and Sport and he looks better than he ever has. It's still on the starchier side, though.

You could try Seminole Wellness Perform Safe, which is an 8% fat pellet that's quite low in starch and sugar.
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

Quote Originally Posted by whbar158 View Post
    Or try TC Sr it is lower in NSC than complete, the complete is moderate at ~20% or like 18 i can't remember. But the Sr is like 11%.
    ^ This. TC Senior is much lower in NSCs than TC Complete (11.7% vs. 20.6%!):

http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/artic...own-horsefood/
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by taz's mom View Post
    After a couple of months on this my guy wigged. He is now on hay only, after an extreme episode of naughtiness, with minerals. He gets orchard alfalfa am/pm when the rest of the barn gets grain. His minerals go in his bin with some chopped carrots. He has lots of coastal while stalled, then out at night on grass pasture.
    He has "let down" from the food fry, but I'm just starting to see ribs. Hips look fine, but I know that's next to drop. He has been in no work while letting down the last 2 weeks. I don't think hay will sustain him, and my BO is reluctant to give him much more than he is getting. Tons of grass, but it's Florida bahia.
    He was previously on a cruddy food that was basically an all-stock, of which he was eating 2 3qt scoops 2x daily. WAY too much at once. I talked to Purina, Seminole and TC nutritionists and went first with Ultium, as it was conveniently available, but he didn't like it. Went next with the TC Complete, and here we are....
    Any suggestions out there? 4yr OTTB, learning how to be a horse, basic training wtc, nothing overly exertive.
    If he was fine on this diet for 2 months, why do you think the grain was the cause of his temperament change?
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

my barn was also hot on the complete. they all love the senior

I agree with those that say give TC Senior a shot, it is significantly lower in NSC and alot of harder keepers at my barn have done well on it. My gelding was on TC complete for over 2 years and he actually keeps weight on with less Senior than he did the complete. I wouldn't say the TC Complete made him hot though...

My mare was exploding with energy on the complete....and is a kick ride on the legends performance pellets.

I also agree with the TC Senior. I have my 5yr old TB on it and i LOVE it. She keeps weight on nicely and it keeps her sane !

My 5 year old TB (not OTTB) mare has been on Purina Ultium for about a month now. She lost some weight this past summer and looks alot better. She also gets fed three times a day, alfalfa and grass. She is a mellow mare for the most part, only gets excited when we jump, but she is still learning and falls asleep when we are waiting for our turn again.

I would think that the Complete would have more calories per pound than the all stock he was getting, how much of the complete was he getting? I also agree that I don't think it would take 2 months for it to make him hot.

The TC Senior would be a good choice. Very low in NSC and easy to digest.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 16.1h OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

The second ingredient in TC Complete is cane molasses so, yes, I imagine it could make some horses "hot". But as others have mentioned, if you only noticed this after 2 months, it's probably not being caused by the feed.

My 2 TBs (5 & 6 yrs old) get quite a bit of it 2X/day and neither are what I would consider hot. However, I'm trying to convert them to the Senior (they don't like it as well) except my feed store keeps running out of it. And then there are those pesky clumping issues. The Complete is no better for clumps.

Another Vote for Senior TC. It is only 11%. I feed the senior as well to a "hot" mare. Also because my mare has to have a good bit of feed, with her hard keeping self. SO having a low NSC is very important for us.

Also this might be just my opinion but maybe getting him off Alfalfa all together may not hurt. I noticed my mare doing much better attitude wise after I got rid of Alfalfa hay.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloeryder View Post
    but maybe getting him off Alfalfa all together may not hurt.
    Are you aware the first ingredient in TC Senior is alfalfa? Alfalfa is usually very low in NSCs.

Sorry to hijack a bit, but I have a question about the TC Senior. My mare is on Purina Ultium righ now. I do like it and she looks and feels great. The only issue is that it is about $30.00 a 50 lb bag. How does TC Senior compare? Is it comparable to Ultium? Is it cheaper and if it is, would I feed the same amount as Ultium?

The Senior "should" be cheaper, but I think it would depend on what part of the country you're in. I don't know how much Ultium is here (SW PA) but the TC Senior is around $22 a bag, maybe a little more now. IMO Triple Crown is superior in quality over Purina.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 16.1h OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

It's more likely to be the weather. All mine are wigging out even the 26 year old. They are all on senior, including the 4 year old and they are ENJOYING the change in the weather. The TC senior is $24 and change a bag around here, and you'd probably feed less of it and keep the same weight and condition.

Horses also tend to change a lot when they get proper nutrition as opposed to crap. I would imagine that you are getting to see a horse that is being fed well, as opposed to not. You may well own a "naughty" horse who was not fed properly before.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

3 members found this post helpful.