The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Sorry- shameless brag for my Willie! new pictures #24

I don't have any idea how many of you even remember the saga of 'Willie/penile cancer surgeries/Cushings/2 founders" from about 3-4 years ago, but if there are any of you out there - I just have to let you know what we did this past Sunday......
    TRAV show at the Virginia Horse Center :We got first place in an equitation class out of 6 riders.(first equitation class we have ever entered.) We got third place in the UPHA championship equitation class out of 11 riders ( and Art heard the ringmaster say to the judge ,"That was beautiful" in reference to our serpentine!!!!)
    We got second place in the trail class out of ten riders. Willie ticked a few of the cavaletti going over them- have not practiced that for years.
    We got a first place in our musical dressage test, riding to "Long Highway" by the Moody Blues - thought it quite appropriate for Willie- especially where they sing "No one could love you like I do.." (of course only one rider in that class, me LOL!!!!!!) with a score of 81.88% with nice comments!!! (Of course, the judge is a friend who I scribe for all the time, and she was VERY generous with her scores).
    But still - not bad for a 23+ year old Arab and his 63 year old rider, if I do say so myself (which I evidently just did )
    Last edited by eventgroupie2; Oct. 15, 2013 at 07:27 PM. Reason: new pictures added
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

9 members found this post helpful.

Beautiful Now we need photos. And video of the dressage freestyle!!

Congratulations to you, especially after all you've been through!
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

No apologies needed. I do remember and I am welling up. Congratulations for hanging in there, doing right by your horse and reaping the reward! Wonderful update op!

Lovely weekend you had!! Congrats!!

And yes... PICTURES! COTH rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

PICS PLEASE!!!!!!! Congrats!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Default Warmbloods love Willie!

We are so happy that Willie has come back from all his problems and is doing so well!

And Willie is a very lucky boy to have an owner who has spent a lot of time and money to bring him back from cancer and laminitis caused by the steroids. Good work eventgroupie2 and Willie!

What's the backstory on this horse? Link please?
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

I don't know how to search to get this link for you - it was a huge thread - maybe ZuZu or Bluey or Warmbloods (all with me through the whole long saga) would know how to do a link to the previous thread? Help?
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Default DUH!

Photos will have to wait - we forgot to take our camera as we were running a tad late to the show - my only pair of boots have a zipper that is "going" at the scrouch ankle place, and took me 15 minutes to get into - can I mention sweating bullets just trying to get into my darn boots to get to the show---- already did not want to get there too soon as Willie definitely has his preferences (as do most Arabs) of not hurrying to stand around and do nothing, which is in direct conflict with my trainer who wants us to get there way ahead of time so he can "see" everything. Have to laugh, got there late - "showed" him trail class first obstacle which was getting a vest off a post and placing it gently over his withers - I whipped it off the post, whanged it about him (he ddn't move), and considered that 'schooling" the trail class. Everything else looked fine.
    We actually did the trail class in the middle of the equitation championship class- all 11 entries had to do a serpentine and they sent us all out of the arena - I was first, and (see above) Willie does not like to stand around, so we went over and did the trail class while waiting to be called back into the arena to finish the equitaton class. Worked well.
    So... pictures - I am ordering some from the photographers at the show- will post a link to them as soon as I get them, and remember how to do it.
    Last edited by eventgroupie2; Oct. 9, 2013 at 08:52 PM. Reason: spelling
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

Is this the thread?

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...t=willie+penis

and congrats on the great weekend.

Yep - that is most of the saga.. has been pretty tame since then. THANK YOU for finding it- I had no clue how to do that.
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

I think it's absolutely a miracle that Willie survived his partial penile amputation and then the laminitis and then founder from the steroids used by the vets. People do not know how much effort that it took eventgroupie2 (and how much money) and time it took her to save Willie.

And then there's the fact that Willie was very brave and a great patient to go through all the treatments and survive and thrive and come back. He was in another show or clinic a while back. What a brave boy! Some horses just know how to handle being injured and sick.

And we all owe eventgroupie2 and Willie and their vet hospital thanks for telling us all about soft ride boots. They really are exceptional for horses with hoof issues.

Keep going Willie! You and eventgroupie2 are both inspirations to all of us.

5 members found this post helpful.

Congratulations!

Wonderful news, you and Willie are the greatest examples of what perseveration can do for us.
    Many would have given up with all that happened and you, look at you and Willie now!

Exclamation Picture link

Ok- here is a link to my web page with pictures from a few recent shows. I'll add the TRAV pictures when they come.

http://www.equiglas.com/id32.html
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

3 members found this post helpful.

What a lovely pair you two make!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever

Love those happy ears .. and your lovely smile.

I followed Willie's saga and cheered every time he overcame the latest setback.

He really is your horse of a lifetime. You're both so lucky to have each other. Did you raise him from babyhood?

Mara - wish that I had that opportunity! We bought Willie as a 16 year old trail horse from a friend who breeds Arabians. He was not one of her horses, but she was taking care of him and selling him for a friend who could no longer ride or care for him. Basically was love at first sight for me. So we have only had the pleasure of working with him for 7 years. (I almost said the pleasure of "owning him" for 7 years, but I don't think you "own" a horse like Wille -when it is right, there is a partnership that can only be understood by someone who has been lucky enough to experience it firsthand. Willie has given me that.)
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

Default Willie and family are just too cool ! CONGRATULATIONS !!!! Talking about AO !

This wonderful horse, Willie and his owner and her DH continually make me smile and remain AO ~

This is just SENSATIONAL at every level / dimension !

A Blue Ribbon group !

** And thank you for always being so inspirational and always bringing your good news !
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

You two are beautiful together!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/