The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Recurrent Airway Obstruction (Heaves) -UPDATE: It's Bronchitis!

I have a large Mini - about 9 hands - who was diagnosed with this about 1 1/2 years ago. His cough has always been intermittent, and last year he did wonderfully by just taking Prednisolone during the fall. I also do not feed round bales, keep the hay on the ground, soak it if it's dusty at all, etc.

This year he is on 1 1/2 tabs of Prednisolone (100 Mg per chewable tab) and he is still coughing.

It's mainly after he eats anything - feed, treats, - or drinks water.

I have had him since he was 3, and he is now 12. He's always been in great health, and - knock on wood - he has never foundered, as I have always kept his feet trimmed, and carbs limited.

The vet will be out in a few hours, but is there anything I should ask him? I have had folks suggest a few natural supplements - has anyone had any luck with these?

I've been through a lot with my Simba, so if you can spare any, please jingle that the Vet will have him feeling good again!
    Last edited by Freebird!; Oct. 3, 2013 at 04:46 PM.

The vet just left and thinks he has Bronchitis. He has a spot on his lungs where the vet heard crackles during inhalations. He said that most horses with just heaves, or allergies, usually wheeze during exhalations. So, Simba is now on Antibiotics, prednisilone and Ventapulmin twice a day for two weeks. He thinks that after he goes through the antibiotics, we may be able to drop his Prednisilone dosage. I'm just thankful that it's something fixable. He will always have RAO, but it has always been mild for him. I just can't figure out how he got bronchitis.

My horse's breathing problems are exercise induced, so a little different from your situationI was using a Flovent (corticosteroid) inhaler with my horse, but recently got a nebulizer and have been working with my amazing vet on solutions to put in it. So much less expensive than the inhalers, and less worrisome than dex. Right now, I am using a mixture of fluticasone (same as in Flovent) and albuterol (like Ventipulmin). He sucks it right up from the nebulizer, all I have to do is hold the cup up to his nose. Seems to be working well for him.

It seems to me like mine needs the cortocosteroid to prevent inflammation, and once that is under control, the albuterol just before he is ridden to help him breathe.
    Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

Hmmm - I do have two people nebuluzers....

Normally his RAO is very mild, which is why I went ahead and called the vet out. He's lasted longer then two husbands, so I'm hoping that he will bounce back pretty quickly. I just wonder how he got Bronchitis?

Update - it seems that the meds are helping so far! The vet said that one spot sounded horrible - lots of crackles - and when he coughed he would just look miserable, but so far today, I haven't noticed any major coughing. It's supposed to rain this weekend though, and I'm a little worried about him standing out in it. I have a run-in shed with a gate, but I'm not sure whether to lock him up in it or not. Thoughts?

Rainsheet?

Well, from the people perspective, I have asthma and when the bronchitis comes around, it's onto antibiotics and into bed, staying warm and dry. Cold rainy air just aggravates the bronchitis. I would be tempted to keep him in during the rain, but to be safe, a call to your vet might be in order. Good luck!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

My little guy is doing SOOO much better!! Now, the only time i hear him cough, is sometimes when he drinks water. I'm a bit nervous as to how he does when he finishes his medications, but here's hoping that he will still be his perkey self. He sure does love getting "fed" twice a day!

Happy to hear the news! We'll keep our fingers crossed that all continues to go well for you both!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/