The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mid-Atlantic Peeps- are you clipping early due to this HEAT or toughing it out?

My god, the weather is so bizarre. Today it was in the 80s. My horse is just starting to grow his winter coat, he's not even very fluffy yet, and he was covered in sweat standing in the field. I have long been a thanksgiving and valentine's day clipper and I HATE to do the first clip until November (at least veteran's day-- can you tell I spend my day off work clipping?! ) but I am tempted to go early this year. I think I'll just buy myself a 3rd clip though, and I HATE to do that. Curious to hear what others are doing.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Already clipped once before the Fall Classic and will probably be clipping again in the next week.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I clipped a month ago and my horse looked like a wooly bear at 2 weeks in. He has his full hair coat back now. I'll be clipping him again at the end of October at the very latest, when the weather will hopefully have settled. I hate to clip when it's hot and have the temperature drop 20 degrees the next day, and knowing that the 80 degrees would pass, I didn't think that clipping him just for that would be a sensible decision. It wasn't hot enough that he was really bothered- he is anhydrotic and actually sweat very appropriately. If he had had a hard time, I'd have changed my mind and done him again this past week.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I clipped my guy yesterday, but I usually clip in early/mid October for those warmer fox-hunting days.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

I couldn't take the sweat...clipped 3 days ago. Sorry, V, time to de-fuzz!

Oh man, this sucks!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Clipped mine a week ago
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

Already clipped about 3 weeks ago! The pony is growing his fuzz back in and looks like a velvet teddy bear now.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

i clipped my mare last week and am so happy i did (and so is she ). we only hack so this clip is enough to last her until the spring. it just makes her more comfortable this time of year and reduces the accumulation of grime under the winter coat (or at least it makes me think it does ).
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

All the stabled horses have super slick thin gorgeous coats, but my live outs are quickly airing up.
    The only horses in barn with any noticeable coat are the greys ? Definitely fuzzier...going to be high 70's here for another week I can deal with sweat since I can still hose after riding...

My horse and DD's pony are serious about their coat growing. I try to push my horse till the 3rd week of Oct generally and then clip again late Nov. This year he got clipped 2 weeks ago which means I'll need to do it again in 2 weeks and prob again in late Nov. I can't even imagine trying to ride him right now if he wasn't clipped. He's sweating his butt off just WTC.

DD's pony is doing the PJ's this year, so we clipped before the Shore Classic which was the end of Sept (and she was furry) and I will probably clip her again in 2 weeks and then we'll see what happens.

Luckily for my bank account I clip my own horses or I'd go broke this year!

Clipped one last week- he wasn't the fuzziest, but he is the easiest to clip! My chestnut barely has much of a winter coat, so he gets to wait for a little while. However, the fuzzball who is a terrorist to clip I wanted to try and wait on....took him hunting on Saturday and I felt so bad for him, dripping sweat before we even made it to the first draw! He will be getting clipped this week...

Two of the horses at the barn I board at have been clipped and I know two more are getting clipped in the next week.
    I normally clip around Halloween. Finn sheds out late and grows his coat a little later than many of the other horses at our barn. I have been sheeting him for turnout for most of the last month to help keep his coat down. He is still on night turnout.

He was pretty sweaty this weekend while trail riding but he sweats a lot anyway. I am going to try to hold out until Halloween. After the storm rolls through today the temps are supposed to much more fall like.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

^

I have a late shedder/grower and clip my horse around Halloween, as well. He is still shedding out his summer coat right now and seems to be managing the weather ok. When he goes out at night with the temps below 55-60, he gets a sheet, so that seems to be helping keep his coat slick. My second clip is usually late December, though I think I am going to try to push it until late February, as long as he is not getting over-heated. Then I clip one last time in May, since he doesn't fully shed until early/mid July.

Fortunately the weather seems to be cooperating in that it is warm enough to hose or sponge off if they get sweaty when ridden. As soon as I feel they are too sweaty and the weather is too cool, I clip.

Some of the more fluffy ones or the ones doing indoors are getting clipped or have been clipped.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

And today's weather is a perfect example of why I didn't clip for last week's 80 degree weather: today it was in the low 60's and raining sideways all day. The clipped horses who got caught in it were not amused and my furball was pleased to be in his stall.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG