The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How a Dangerous Horse Pulled This Woman From Despair

An OTTB story. Might inspire others.

http://offtrackthoroughbreds.com/201...-from-despair/
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

4 members found this post helpful.

Good story.

1 members found this post helpful.

Inspiring story. Thank you for posting it.
    "My treasures do not chink or gleam, they glitter in the sun and neigh at night."
    ~Gypsy saying

Some times things work out after all, like here.

Wonderful story, thank you for posting it.

Call me an insensitive meanie but I believe that it would have been better and safer for her to focus on finding a job to give her self esteem a boost rather than screw around with a dangerous horse while I presume she was receiving regular unemployment checks (Probably using Medi-Cal when the horse ran over/bit/kicked/threw her) also.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

13 members found this post helpful.

Default to: 5

Ummm!? How long since the last time you were unemployed? How long have many other highly qualified people been out there beating the bushes?

Just askin!!!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    Call me an insensitive meanie but I believe that it would have been better and safer for her to focus on finding a job to give her self esteem a boost rather than screw around with a dangerous horse while I presume she was receiving regular unemployment checks (Probably using Medi-Cal when the horse ran over/bit/kicked/threw her) also.
    Yes, but it would not have made a good story.

I was thinking just that, doesn't make much sense for an unemployed, homeless person in financial trouble to have to care for the luxury a horse is and take on a dangerous one at that.

Good that she made it work, slim that the chances were of it and high the risk she took.
    No need to rain on her parade, but also good to point out that it could have ended up badly.

Once she pulled it off, it does make a great story.

2 members found this post helpful.

I really enjoyed this. This horse sounded so much like mine that I looked up his pedigree. Yep, Halo in there, in the same spot in his pedigree as my horse. I wouldn't trade my horse for anything, but definitely not easy! The horses like this really do teach you to think and never give up, though.

Merrygoround-The other professionals are out there 'beating the bushes' looking for new employment, not supporting and retraining a rogue horse while accepting a support check courtesy of the taxpayers.

I would like to know how long she was between jobs. If she was working a month after she acquired said horse I'd be willing to give her a pass. However the author forgot to include that in the article.

Your question about unemployment doesn't really apply to me since I got fed up with 'beating the bushes' and took a chunk out of my retirement and bought a turn key established environmental business* of my own. I have lean months when after paying the bills and venders I can't really pay myself very much is that what you meant?

* No I didn't get a small business government loan- those seem to be a myth have not found any business owner who has actually gotten one or knows someone who has.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

Beautiful story. I was told my horse was unsafe and would never be a jumper. He had been abused badly and it would take me forever to catch him. Hours of sitting out in the field and waiting for him to come to me. Then I would have to rub his butt, then his back, then his front leg until he would finally lower his head and smell me. I was then allowed to catch him. We went through a lot but it was worth every moment. He passed away a couple of years ago.

wait. His papers said "dangerous"? Does that mean someone scribbled that on the papers? Why? seems to me if he was so dangerous, he wouldn't be needing those papers where he might be heading.

2 members found this post helpful.

Safe bet that a person with such competent equitation over that size of a fence already had a fair number of years of experience under her belt. But, yes, as written the article plays into the Magikal Butterfly storyline where a troubled beginner rider and a dangerous horse saved each other against all odds.

Good for the rider in the article that it worked out. Even for an experienced rider, most of the times it would not. But that's what makes a success story interesting, oui? There's not exactly a big market for articles called: "Happy, Affluent Horsewoman Buys Safe, Well-trained Gelding and Does Predictably Well at Local Shows"
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

16 members found this post helpful.

The article does not say anything about her finances. We don't know if she had a padded savings account. There may have been a settlement through the sale of the house. The fact that the horse was free and the trailer was $200 actually has nothing to do with whether the woman in the story had a back up savings acct and what was in it. It also does not say how long she was unemployed. It does not say she is homeless.

Those of you commenting on these things need to go find a better way to spend your time - you just do not have enough information to know what the situation was financially. Its also just totally tacky and rude to say she "should have" done this or that. Clearly this person and this horse found each other at just the right time to save both of them. Good for her, and good for the horse.

This particular situation is newsworthy because it is not the norm. Most people in her situation could not have made this work. She did - and saved herself and this horse - which is why we get to read about it.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    Okay, I'll call you an insensitive meanie, since that is what you are being. And presumptious. You have no idea what her financial situation was, or what kind of aid she was or was not receiving. You also don't even know that she was unemployed. It's possible to lose a job and find another one right away.

But the important thing is that now we all know how superior you are.
    Last edited by FineAlready; Feb. 26, 2014 at 04:21 PM. Reason: typo - lose vs. loose

15 members found this post helpful.

I am big meanie too... and yes, we do not know all the details, she could have had quite a nest egg, but really, some questions were answered in the brief article.

When you’re unemployed for a long time, you need a reason to wake up everyday and get going. He gave me that reason. He got me out of bed everyday, because I had to take care of him.”

She and her friends scraped together $200 to buy a horse trailer
    I am very glad this all worked out for the best of everyone involved (despite the concussion and related issues) from what it sounds like. Horses can be great healers, and I too have turned to them in my time of need. But when I couldn't afford a horse - I instead volunteered / cared for other's horses / offered free training (worked with a lady pulling horses from auctions, retrained them for better lives), because I knew it would be irresponsible of me to take on such a financial burden when I was not in a stable position to do so.
    Last edited by Appsolute; Feb. 26, 2014 at 04:45 PM.

I'm sorry, but these stories bother me, too.
    I bought a screwed-up, barn-sour, rearing biting bucking mess (who seemed nice tempered at 150 lb underweight).
    I've flipped a few horses, taking them from w/t/c or even unbroke, to Novice level recognized events, so I did have a couple of skills in my basket.

But I was overhorsed and over my head, and it was a dangerous situation.

Dangerous situation, not Majikal Butterflies.

I was lucky to find extraordinarily good help, and upped my skill level quite a bit to be able to get my OTTB safe.

But I see WAY, WAY too many dangerous situations, overhorsed people, in Majikal Butterfly stories in which they break legs, helmets, go to the ER a few times....

"I was scared..."
    "She suffered a concussion...and balance issues"
    "He threw me so hard he cracked my helmet"...

So, "Her plan was to ride him until she fell off." And "I was never afraid of him".

Yeah, this is a sad story, to me, not an inspiring one. A success story here would be someone who didn't just pretend everything was hunky-dory, get on and ride anyway, but get good help to turn the horse around without welts, concussions, reared-over-backwards damage to human and horse bodies.

12 members found this post helpful.

I am also not a fan of the way this story was written. It mentions nothing of this woman's skill level or training prior to acquiring this Dangerous horse. Like HungarianHippo noted, the woman's Eq in the picture and the size of the fences she is jumping indicates this is someone who clearly has some experience and a solid foundation.

I think what's dangerous is perpetuating the 'Majikal Butterflies' / Black Stallion syndrome, that someone with no mentioned resources, skills or professional supervision can take a dangerous horse and turn it into a successful partnership.

"Her plan for Rusty was simple. She would ride him until she fell off." Not typically a very successful plan.

Being overhorsed is no fun. I know way too many people who were injured or who had serious lasting confidence issues due to ending up with horses that proved to be too much for them.

I do agree that the story isn't written very well, and I suspect that a lot of detail that would make the story seem less...like an awful idea...is missing. I did miss the part about being unemployed "for a long time." Although that still doesn't mean that she was receiving federal or state assistance.

Fully agree it's not journalism at its finest. Luckily since it's a blog, chances are very slim that anyone will ever read it.

eta-- this came out really snarky about the blogger, not my intention. I was just trying to be funny about how we were holding a casual blog post to "investigative journalism" standards. (If the original blogger is reading this, I think you write well and tell a good story.)
    Last edited by HungarianHippo; Feb. 26, 2014 at 07:31 PM.
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

The blogger who wrote the story has several very, very positive against the odds stories. Interesting to note...