The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help me find a cooler?

I am looking for the following in a cooler, and thus far I haven't found it:

Full fitted design (not square), covering neck
    Heavy fleece (not one-ply lightweight material like the Dover brand one)
    Bias surcingles
    No nylon lining (Weatherbeeta makes a nice cooler (too light for my taste, but...) with nylon lining across the chest. Who wants to put that against the sweatiest part of the horse?)

Suggestions?
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

SSTack has five or seven really lovely fitted ones, but none with the bias surcingles. Is that a hard "must have"? You could always add them...

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    SSTack has five or seven really lovely fitted ones, but none with the bias surcingles. Is that a hard "must have"? You could always add them...
    Yeah, it's a must-have, because I often leave coolers on overnight (SHHHH!). I have their Tekno Dri cooler and love it, but it shifts around like a motherbear.
    I don't know how easy it would be to get bias surcingles put on properly (so as not to pull the thing sideways).

Has anyone tried the Horze coolers? I am in love with the bright stripey pattern!
    http://www.horze.com/coolers%2Fanti-...ece/24743.html
    Curious how heavy they are, and if there is any nylon lining.
    Now for them to run one of their 50% off sales....

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a dress sheet style one and the fleece is very thin. Definitely NOT the horseware newmarket fleece, that's for sure.

They aren't doing their 50% off sales anymore, they ended quite a while ago and there were a lot of rumors saying there would be no more.

ETA
    I checked mine and it has no nylon lining, of course it's not the same style...but there ya go.
    It was worth it when I got mine for 50% off, not so much for full price. It's probably the thinnest cooler I have in the barn, no real thickness to it, but good enough to throw on after a bath or hard work. Also the tail cord wasn't great, it was way too short despite the cooler being the correct size.
    Last edited by SAcres; Oct. 5, 2013 at 09:06 PM.
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

I have two (or three...) of the Horze coolers and I LOVE them!! No nylon but they are not very heavy. For the price though, I think they are worth it.

Was watching this on ebay, but I'll share since it's really a size too big for my guy. It doesn't have bias surcingles, but I thought the zip neck was an interesting feature.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161121042252...84.m1423.l2649

I love my Rambo fleece Newmarket cooler. I don't recall if there is Nylon in the front but you could cut it out. Super thick.

PSA... careful leaving coolers on horses with clipped coats. I left a fleece cooler sheet on one of my horses as a blanket liner one cool night and because it was not nylon lined, it moved back on her and could not slide forward (might not be as bad on a natural coat). It got so tight that it rubbed her withers raw in one place and she still has a big white patch of hair several years later.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsymare View Post
    I love my Rambo fleece Newmarket cooler. I don't recall if there is Nylon in the front but you could cut it out. Super thick.
    I am kicking myself for not buying the Rambo Grand Prix fleece that was on ToTD yesterday. SO heavy and warm, and fabulous quality. I didn't buy it because I was hoping to find something with a neck, but that is looking less and less likely.

I've seen a few of these on the European market, but none that's easily available in the US. Eskadron makes one that's exactly as you're describing. Thermatex and Coolex both make versions too, although those are not made of fleece and are pretty $$$$. The Bucas coolers also come in "with neck" and "no neck" versions, and Bucas' Stay-Dry material is very similar to fleece (meaning it's a wicking, synthetic layer). For what you're describing, the Bucas coolers would be potentially perfect because they have a smooth outer lining that isn't a magnet for shavings.

The Bucas shamrock power cooler doubles great as a stall sheet. Or the Rambo newmarket or grand prix coolers would be what you describe

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    I've seen a few of these on the European market, but none that's easily available in the US. Eskadron makes one that's exactly as you're describing. Thermatex and Coolex both make versions too, although those are not made of fleece and are pretty $$$$. The Bucas coolers also come in "with neck" and "no neck" versions, and Bucas' Stay-Dry material is very similar to fleece (meaning it's a wicking, synthetic layer). For what you're describing, the Bucas coolers would be potentially perfect because they have a smooth outer lining that isn't a magnet for shavings.
    Yup, LOVE my thermatex blankets..and saddle pads and leg wraps... A few years ago ToTD was offering them regularly, not I think Sound Equine is the only supplier in the US or you can get them on eBay

I had to get a Cordura covered one for Sophie though
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Ooooo, want: http://www.allthebestrugs.com/Coolex-Cooler-Rug (provided it isn't made with wool or some other material requiring special care). Only $200 USD for the set!?

Quote Originally Posted by CrowneDragon View Post
    Ooooo, want: http://www.allthebestrugs.com/Coolex-Cooler-Rug (provided it isn't made with wool or some other material requiring special care). Only $200 USD for the set!?
    I bet you could beat that price on Ebay UK.

I'm pretty sure, but not 100% sure, that Coolex is like Thermatex--meaning it's acrylic polyfill sandwiched between layers of pre-shrunk wool. Thermatex is fully machine washable and dryable, and I'm guessing Coolex is the same, but I wouldn't want to buy Coolex without checking. You could probably find out by posting a "calling all Coolex owners" thread to COTH because Dover was licensing/selling Coolex products a few years ago in the US.

Wondering aloud how the Horse.com knockoff compares. Would have to improvise a neck rug.
    http://www.horse.com/item/defender-w...ooler/E002801/
    Wicking ability is my primary concern.

Franconia? Saratoga Horseworks?
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by CrowneDragon View Post
    Wondering aloud how the Horse.com knockoff compares. Would have to improvise a neck rug.
    http://www.horse.com/item/defender-w...ooler/E002801/
    Wicking ability is my primary concern.
    I haven't seen this product, but my guess is that they're hitting that price point by building something closer to the Thermo Manager Stable Sheet or the Schneider's Poly-Tech blanket liner. With just 25% wool in the inner layer, I wouldn't put my money on excellent wicking ability.

I haven't seen this product, but my guess is that they're hitting that price point by building something closer to the Thermo Manager Stable Sheet or the Schneider's Poly-Tech blanket liner. With just 25% wool in the inner layer, I wouldn't put my money on excellent wicking ability.
    You may be right, although I think these were priced about $90 not long ago. By the lack of feedback, I don't think they sold. A lot of people (like myself) are a bit leery of messing with wool. Hmm.

I LOVE my Rambo Newmarket fleece. No neck, but I think it fits your requirements otherwise. Super heavy fleece. I have used it as a liner on the coldest days with no issues.

I second the rambo fleece!