The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Total Equine Performance Horse Feed...any nutrition gurus looked at this product?

So the barn owner where I used to board became a dealer and brought back some wonderful stories from a talk she attended (dare I say I thought it sounded too good to be true...cures ulcers, etc., but I'm a skeptic by nature, so I'm biased that way). Anyway someone else has mentioned this food to me and I thought I would ask the nutrition gurus to take a look.

One thing that jumps out at me is the second ingredient is corn. Also it is low in fat compared to what I like.

Thoughts? What would you compare this to?

http://www.totalequine.info/Total_Equine.html
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

The starch availability of the grain is over 90%, which insures the highest possible digestibility.
    Can someone explain what this means?
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

So, I'm not expert on feed but in my experience a "complete" feed should be pretty balanced fat and protein wise and high fiber but low starch. From what I've read starch can spike their blood sugar. I also try and avoid high starch/sugar foods for ulcer horses, so unless they're going off the claim that the alfalfa is good for the ulcers they're smoking something funny.

Anyway, I wouldn't feed this to my horse. Just saying.

A friend of mine feeds this. It's got a lot of corn in it. Yuck. We also keep finding non food in with it like nuts, bolts, nails....! It also looks like dog kibble.

Her horse looks OK on it. She is fat and a bit hot. You have to feed a lot of it and it is a bit pricey. They claim that then you don't have to feed much hay with it. We are currently looking for a new feed for the horse. It's just not worth it. I'd really avoid it
    Clancy 17hh chestnut Dutch WB, '99. Owned and loved since '04 and still goin'!

With 27% non-structural carbohydrates I definitely don't think I'd be feeding it to horses with ulcers or any other condition affected by sugar/starch. I'm sure they have their reasons but it sort of looks like they took all the additives they could find and whacked it into one product. The label reads more like a chemical catalog! Although I can't say I know exactly how many additives are in all other feeds.

For comparison on sugars/starches WellSolve is 7% starch 4% sugar (not entirely the same as NSC but close.)

Just my 2 cents

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by EWim15 View Post
    With 27% non-structural carbohydrates I definitely don't think I'd be feeding it to horses with ulcers or any other condition affected by sugar/starch. I'm sure they have their reasons but it sort of looks like they took all the additives they could find and whacked it into one product. The label reads more like a chemical catalog! Although I can't say I know exactly how many additives are in all other feeds.

For comparison on sugars/starches WellSolve is 7% starch 4% sugar (not entirely the same as NSC but close.)

Just my 2 cents
    Bahahaha like horsey fast food! May taste good but leaves you feeling yucky later.