The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unhappy An accident waiting to happen--pic only available today, 10/3.

http://www.vnews.com

Scroll to the caption: "Horse sense in Woodstock"

They make sure to stop and pet any horses they see? This is where I would get sued. My appendix is such a pocket pony but he is a nibbler. I'm constantly warning people at horse shows (where he can stick his head out) that walk by to be cautious around him. He's a sweetie but he's going to nibble your shirt, try to steal your drink, etc.

So frustrating seeing that these people don't have common sense. They probably pet every dog they see as well then blame the owner if it snaps b/c they don't understand animal body language.

3 members found this post helpful.

Yep! And my neighbor still hates me years after I yelled at her and her daughter to get off my fences (legs on the inside of the fence) and stop feeding/petting my horses. To this day she still refers to me as the beeotch and gives me dirty looks when they drive past. I realize it's very tempting to pet the pretty horses but could people please have the decency to ask permission first. If they did I would be happy to explain things and I would allow them to pet the horses in their stalls. What my neighbor and her daughter did was teach my horses to be pushy and dangerous because they were all trying to get the treats or what ever crap they were feeding them. It got quite dangerous and I was the one that had to deal with it and un-train their bad behavior. Sitting on the fences could have been a disaster, the horses were getting aggressive wanting the attention and treats; they could have been kicked or knocked off the fence. If I ever relocated I would have to reconsider having pastures that are next to roads. I do have signs posted not to pet or feed the horses for what's its worth.
    "My treasures do not chink or gleam, they glitter in the sun and neigh at night."
    ~Gypsy saying

A kid patting a horse? Really? One of my favorite memories is that child's view of my sister's horse - that big square muzzle and his breath blowing in my face.

27 members found this post helpful.

I wouldn't necessarily call it an accident waiting to happen. I have a particular family that stops by regularly to say hello to the horses and occasionally get out and pet them. I always wave to them if I see them and once asked them just to not feed the horses anything, which they've always respected.
    "...That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear." --Stephen King

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by saje View Post
    A kid patting a horse? Really? One of my favorite memories is that child's view of my sister's horse - that big square muzzle and his breath blowing in my face.
    Exactly. Loosen up people if you want the next generation of horse lovers. And if your horse nibbles, nips or bites then don't have him in a paddock along a road where people can get out and pet them.

17 members found this post helpful.

It all depends on the horse, tiny hand can easily be bitten, horses are horses and some will think treat and bite. They can also swing their head to get a fly off and catch you in the face or do a simple friendly nudge that could easily knock a small child backward. Ask permission so you can explain how to pet etc safely.

When I boarded there was a father that always brought his little girl to the barn after he picked her up from daycare to show her the horses. It was a special time that he shared with his little girl. He always asked permission if they could pet the horses and be in the barn, my horse happened to be a favorite of the little girl's because he was "chocolate" colored, so one evening when I was in the arena riding, they stopped to watch, I took a minute to go over and let them pet my horse and he told me they were moving so it would be their last visit, I asked if the little girl would like a ride on her favorite chocolate horse and she was thrilled as was Dad. I'm happy to allow people the experience I just appreciate them asking first.
    "My treasures do not chink or gleam, they glitter in the sun and neigh at night."
    ~Gypsy saying

23 members found this post helpful.

Its a cute picture of a little kid petting a horse. Mom is probably right behind her just out of the picture. The caption said "they always pet the horses when they see them". I took that to mean those particular horses. So for all we know they are friends/relatives with the horse owners and have permission to pet them.

Don't you people teach your horses to take treats nicely? All of mine are hand fed treats occasionally and all know to wait their turn and take their treat nicely. Anybody getting grabby, pushy or otherwise demonstrating ill manners get a smack on the nose and no treat. My brother can put a treat or mini carrot in his mouth and his mule, Bob, will gently take the treat from him. Its all a matter of training.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by saje View Post
    There's a big difference b/t you and these people. It is your sister's horse. You were probably supervised by knowledgeable people.

Now, I admit, we don't know the whole story. Maybe the owner is out there with them. Maybe the parents are knowledgeable enough to allow the children to do this. I just have a feeling they aren't.

5 members found this post helpful.

The person stopping on the street probably doesn't know anything about training a horse to take a treat and might well find it funny to watch the horses get pushy etc. and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want a stranger smacking your horse because they are feeding them treats and they think the horses are getting pushy.

To me it isn't the idea of depriving a child a special moment to pet the horse it's the chance of something happening that you are ultimately liable for.
    ~Gypsy saying

10 members found this post helpful.

My gist from this was that they only stop to pet this horse on a continuous basis. If the horse is friendly, and they know the horse & owner (or if the owner is out there), then I don't really see an issue. If it's a strange horse then obviously that's a different problem.

I think it's an adorable picture, though.
    You're trying to do something normal people wouldn't do because they're terrified they might fail. -Boyd Martin

Do you mean the horse getting ready to rip his neck open on the barbed wire??
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes, it's a cute picture which is why it ended up in the newspaper.

I am not a novice when it comes to horses. I was standing next to a horse (not mine) that was known for his calm disposition and attitude. I had my hand on his neck and he turned around very quickly and had my hand in his mouth. Very lucky for me that he didn't chomp down. I could have lost quite a few fingers. Again, I am not a novice and that taught me a lesson I have never ever forgotten. Even the most trustworthy horse can harm you.

Good Lord some people are awfully quick to jump to assumptions.

The little girl isn't holding a treat, so I would assume she isn't feeding them.

Many people don't know how to feed horses correctly, but I know before I got into horses I would pull the longest grass i could find and feed them the tips, my hand literally a foot away from their mouth.

How do we know these people aren't animal educated? It's a family simply enjoying horses. It' better than being a random idiot that enjoys random animal abuse, just saying.

Can we not just enjoy that there is a family that likes animals and a little girl who loves visiting with horses?
    Art De TriumphCaballineRebel
    I don't fall... I dismount... with style.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BEARCAT View Post
    Do you mean the horse getting ready to rip his neck open on the barbed wire??
    Holy crap! You're right! That is barbed wire!

The barbed wire under the horse's neck bothers me more than the kid who looks to be just fine. While we all know that all horses can bite, no need to be a nervous nelly about it all the time. (Besides, it's hard to see how far away the horse is from the kid from the angle the picture was taken...she looks totally fine.)

Cute picture - the horse looks like he's smiling.

Just because the short article says they stop and pet every horse they see, doesn't mean they trespass and climb fences to do it. Perhaps they get permission. You know journalism isn't what it used to be - and this isn't necessarily a "story", just a caption without a lot of details.

I stand by the cuteness of horse and child .

While horses are inherently dangerous to be around, there's no need to give them all a Pit Bull reputation. Spreading common sense about horses is better than spreading fear.

2 members found this post helpful.

My DD looks to be about that little girl's age and her most favorite thing in the whole wide world is to feed my mare treats as quickly as she can shovel them into her mouth. She makes a beeline for the cookie bag as soon as we set her down. My mare knows that she needs to be gentle and if she's at all pushy she gets a smack and no more cookies. I've stuck my fingers into her mouth in every way possible, and she will not bite.

That being said, my DD isn't allowed to feed treats to any other horse in the barn, and I plan to keep things that way. It's just good manners, for one. For another, just because our animals are good with her, I don't want her to think that every animal will be okay with it. Even if the owner offers us a cookie, I decline and say "Can we just give him a pat instead?"

We try to set the example for her by asking the owner first (every time...even if I know the horse/dog/cat/chimp is fine) before we approach. She has started catching on to that as well and will ask me first before she approaches anything (including bugs... which... yea).

I think that the picture is sweet (minus the barbed wire...) and I have a similar one of DD and my mare, but it's not something that you want to teach your kids that they can just run up to any animal that they see on the side of the road. That's how accidents happen. I hope that they have owner permission. If they do, it's a lovely picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

If horses ripped their necks open from leaning on barb wire fences, all of mine would have been dead years ago. They are always sticking their heads through the fence to graze. They only get hurt from barbed wire if they run through it or get tangled in loose wire.

If you have a set up like this and are concerned just hang signs that say "Horses have been known to mistake fingers for carrots." I bet that gets the point across.

It is an adorable picture and just the type to raise interest in a local community about possible horsey options for their family, and it's a GREAT opportunity for some local instructor to write the paper and say, "Oh, we loved your around the town photo of the cute girl and the big horse but want to be sure your audience knows that approaching & petting unknown horses can be dangerous. If your readers are interested in learning the proper way to handle these big lovely beasts, we offer a great beginner instruction here at Seriously Concerned Ranch."

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    While horses are inherently dangerous to be around, there's no need to give them all a Pit Bull reputation. Spreading common sense about horses is better than spreading fear.
    And I have to agree with this, especially after the viscous horse hoopla in Connecticut.
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Quality hunter, jumper, pony & equitation sale horses available worldwide, follow us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.

2 members found this post helpful.