The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by GotGait View Post
    ^OMG I missed this one. WTF is wrong with people!?
    If this happened like 20 years ago, I'd say we found that poor Chow still carrying dead puppies and loaded with green pus. When I picked up her tail to take her temp, a cup of maggots fell out. A couple of the techs puked and few of us screamed. That poor dog somehow managed to survive. Some people really suck.

Well I had that conversation with the person in Maryland about 18 years ago. What are the odds? She told me this as a past story so....? I tell you it would be nice to think that your Chow was her Chow because that story haunts me. I lived in Frederick, MD at the time but I don't know where she lived in MD.

WTF is wrong with people!!

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

This whole thread is SO sad. God.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    Being a seriously irresponsible animal owner is just about the fastest way to become my ex-friend.
    With me it depends on the level of irresponsibility and if they're being irresponsible from ignorance or just because they don't care.

For example, our neighbors and friends got an American Bulldog bitch. They put hours and money into professional training and the whole family participated. She is a GREAT dog.

They had plans to breed her once she hit age 2 to a friend's pitbull. Neither dog had anything worthy of passing along, other than great personalities . It was pretty clear they hadn't thought this through; they just thought it would be "fun" and they'd make some money from the litter.

I was able to tactfully talk them out of it. I didn't gasp in horror and get all accusatory. Instead, I pointed them to a few resources and told them a few "need to know" things about some of the risks of pregnancy and whelping. They didn't, for example, know that the big heads on the pups often necessitate emergency c-sections. Or that the expense of pre-and post-natal care would pretty much eat any "profit" and would more than likely leave them in a hole. I asked conversationally, if they planned to take back any or all puppies they'd sold if the new homes didn't work out.

They let the dog go through one heat and then had her on the table for a spay. And we are still friends.

4 members found this post helpful.