The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cat randomly peeing right outside box.

One of my cats has taken to peeing outside the litterbox once a week or so. I clean them every day. I have three litter boxes and three cats. I keep the litter fresh. Most of the time she goes in there -- just every now and then she gets a little laissez faire about where the pee needs to land. Any ideas?

I think she means to go in the litterbox. I think she puts her front end in, but doesn't turn around before she goes and ends up peeing on the concrete floor or mat outside the box. When she does go in the box, she always pees right next to the opening. All the other cats are civilized and turn around first, with their pee spots in the back.

It's not the biggest deal in the world but I don't want her to make a long term habit of it. So far, she never pees more than a foot away from the litterbox -- just not *in* it precisely. Any tips for getting a cat to turn around before urinating? Or setting up her bathroom in a way she might like better? Litter boxes for cats who like to pee with their heads in the dark, facing the back of the box?

They have their own bathroom so I do have a little space to experiment with the setup.

Mine likes to get in the box, turn around, dig like a fiend, and then hike her tush over the edge and pee off the back of the cliff. Sigh.

I now have two of these that do the trick: http://www.amazon.com/Booda-Dome-Cle.../dp/B0002DH8L4

If yours habitually puts paws in the litter to dig, I was thinking the setup might force her to go in and turn around. ?? Or a big storage-type box that she has to jump into in order to get at the litter?

Wishing you luck in Project Piddle Redirection!
    Horsey romances written by a horsey person
    www.JesseHayworth.com

Quote Originally Posted by jess h View Post
    Mine likes to get in the box, turn around, dig like a fiend, and then hike her tush over the edge and pee off the back of the cliff. Sigh.

I now have two of these that do the trick: http://www.amazon.com/Booda-Dome-Cle.../dp/B0002DH8L4

If yours habitually puts paws in the litter to dig, I was thinking the setup might force her to go in and turn around. ?? Or a big storage-type box that she has to jump into in order to get at the litter?

Wishing you luck in Project Piddle Redirection!
    That is the COOLEST litter box.

I have no real advice, other than maybe the other cats have gotten to the good spot at the back of the box first and she's staging protest? I know that ours have to use the boxes the split second it's cleaned. They literally wait outside the gate and then jump into the box together to use it. We have two boxes and two cats. They still use both boxes together.

I think that the box that jess linked would do the trick for your girl quite nicely!

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    That is the COOLEST litter box.
    I thought so too, and I bought one I didnt have a great experience with the BoodaDome. I bought it to try to keep litter from being tracked outside the box. It worked just OK in that capacity, since the litter then got stuck on the little steps and needed to be cleaned with a vacuum But I got rid of it fairly quickly after 2 problems surfaced:

1. It leaked. Why oh why don't manufacturers design a covered litterbox that keeps wall pee inside the box?

2. High pee-ers leave their pee piles against the walls. With a round design, it was impossible to to get a clean scoop - I was chasing down clumps and bits for far too long, PLUS cleaning the dome, PLUS vacuuming the little kitty steps

Out it went to the curb.

(I've had great success with a large high-sided storage tub - It has contained the wall pee)

I have a neutered male that does not like to get his paws dirty. So I pour the litter in the box then use the scooper to clear out the middle part. Kitty can jump in to the clear spot, do his business, turn around and jump out.

We have been doing this for 13 years.

2 members found this post helpful.

My old guy was arthritic and had a hard time getting all his hind end in there... I got a pan with a really low entrance point and it seemed to help quite a bit. It had really high sides everywhere else so no issues with boy pee outside the box.

If your litterboxes are covered, try to remove the top, that helps sometimes.

If that doesn't work, then consider running a pee sample to the vet, making sure it's not a uti or stones, and these are painful - and cats may associate pain with the litterbox and not want to get in there. It seems pretty unlikely in your case though, since she's just not quite making it in there, and it's on and off.

When I first got Ricky Kitty, he was inconsistent about going in the box completely. Read several suggestions online - one of which is that some cats really like to be standing on a flat surface in the litter box. Suggested to push some of the litter out of the way of one end of the box, so that he has a flat surface to stand on, i.e. no depth of litter in the entire box. Worked!

His box isn't always perfectly situated as above, but he is good 99% of the time now. Every time I clean it, I simply scrape litter away from one end.
    How can there be so many currents in such a little puddle?
    National Velvet

What about getting a hooded litter box? This way, she will have to go all the way inside it before she can pee! My guy loves to dig and would make a giant mess. Hooded litter box solved all!

Thanks for the ideas! I saw a GIANT box at Petsmart and am going to give the flat surface thing a try. The ones we have are hooded, so maybe the big space will make a difference.